Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    kidachi
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Round 2: Magic at Pistons, Game 1, Saturday, 7:30 ET

Quote Originally Posted by final.wrath
    i don't think its hate so much as ignorance. unless u watched the pistons regularly you might not be aware of the youth movement joe dumars is orchestrating. he's doing a great job of building for the future while keeping us in championship contention. recognizing potential in players like stuckey, aflallo, maxiell, amir johnson and surrounding them with veteran mentors seems to be a knack for joe d. the guy always seems to pick out steals in the late first and early second rounds. also a great move this season to dump Nazr Mohammed's contract and pick up Walter Herrman who could make the rotation next year or be used as trade bait.

yeah. I liked Joe D's transactions too. they're perfect.

I hope to see Cheikh Samb and Hermann on the rotation.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sixerfan82
    but i'm a jameer nelson fan
    I think Jameer will get abused. He's what... maybe 5'11 with shoes? He can't defend against 6'5 PGs like Chauncey and Rodney. In order to be effective for the Magic he's got to be hitting that 3 ball regularly or really be distributing well like he has at times this season.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Dwight20Twenty's Avatar

I think Jameer will get abused. He's what... maybe 5'11 with shoes? He can't defend against 6'5 PGs like Chauncey and Rodney....
    Nor can they stay in front of him.

orlando in 6.

Saw a basketball once The Great one's Avatar

Dwight Howard and the gang are too energetic and passionate right now, If the piston come in with that same atitude the did against philli there out in 5.

and rasheed vs Howard with the lazy approach sheed has ben playing wit since larry brown left howard will destroy him.

This series will be decided by how the Magic Handle Rasheed. He will be posting up Rashard and Hedo regularly, and this series comes down to how the Magic help, how quickly they recover, and if Detroit can start shooting better.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight20Twenty
    Nor can they stay in front of him.
    for real? have you watched these two teams play eachother? nelson can't hurt the pistons he's a one dimensional shoot first pg who can't defend well. yes he's improved his PG skills a little since last season but a backcourt of nelson/bogans/arroyo/reddick or whoever you have can't compete with billups/hamilton/stuckey/aflallo.
    Last edited by final.wrath; 05-02-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Both these teams have proven they can win on the road, so don't be surprised if home court advantage means very little.

I especially like the forward matchups - Hedo and Lewis vs. Prince and Maxiell. I'd like to see Prince guard Lewis and Maxiell guard Hedo, because I think length vs. length and energy vs. energy is the best matchup for Detroit. If the Magic can find a way to crack these tenacious defenders, they could be the key to outscoring Detroit.

The guard matchups will be rough for Orlando, with Billups, Hamilton, and Stuckey all outsizing the Magic guards - Nelson, Dooling, and Evans (a former Piston). Detroit's guards should keep to a plan to outscore the Magic guards by 15-20 per game to win this series. It's their most obvious matchup, and it gives Detroit guards a focus and a reason to keep exploiting the matchup. Sometimes when the game gets too easy for Detroit guards, they don't keep the pressure up, and that could hurt them, even if they're technically winning the matchup.

Howard is a beast, but I'm not convinced that he has enough frontcourt help. Detroit could be most effective using Theo Ratliff along with Wallace on him, because the rest of Detroit's frontcourt is badly undersized - either by weight or height. I think aside from an occasional double on Hedo, Howard is the only Magic player that should see a double. Expect one of Orlando's lesser known bigs to have at least one big game (>10pts on layups in low minutes), much like Glen Davis of Boston did against Detroit earlier this season. Unknown players tend to have a huge role in Detroit losses.

I'm not sure where McDyess will fit in this series. I don't think he has the length or foot speed to effectively guard Lewis, nor the size to work on Howard. It might be a good idea to let him heal up for the first few games to see where exactly his role will be best used in this series.

I think that there MIGHT be one game where the Pistons don't mentally show up. I think that they are going to realize that this team that they are about to face is worthy of their focus and undivided attention. If not, Orlando will be sure to remind them.

I think if Howard can get plenty of touches and get the Detroit bigs into foul trouble, that would be huge. Make crusty vets like Ratliff and some of the young bigs off the bench come out and have to prove themselves.

I think Turkoglu can have a HUGE series, esp. with the attention that Howard will draw in the paint.

6-time NBA MVP

The Magic to win in 6.

Banned

I think Ratliff can guard Howard man to man and Rasheed probably will for stretches too. Ratliff won't care about fouling out he plays maybe 20 minutes a game this series.

I'd rather hack Howard send him to the line than double him up leaving Rashard and Hedo open on the outside. McDyess should probably come off the bench this series because he doesn't match up very well against Lewis or Turkoglu. He can do some damage against the Magic's reserve bigs.

I think the main seperation between the teams here is depth. The Pistons have a lot more of it. Who is the Magic 6th man anyway? Brian Cook? Adonyl Foyle? Carlos Arroyo? What a joke... Magic fans meet Rodney Stuckey, Jarvis Hayes, Aaron Aflallo, McDyess/Maxiell... you're severely outmatched in terms of depth.

T-Mac's Magic in '03 were responsible for jump-starting this Pistons run...choking after being up 3-1.

It would be pretty sweet if Dwight's Magic could shut them down for good 5 years after the fact.

If Detroit loses this series, I'd expect some major changes up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick27
    I especially like the forward matchups - Hedo and Lewis vs. Prince and Maxiell...
    Hedo & Lewis will most likely be guarding Rashard, not Prince & Maxiell.

I'd rather hack Howard send him to the line than double him up leaving Rashard and Hedo open on the outside...
    I sure hope that happens since Dwight shoots 60% and the Pistons shoot 49%.

I think the main seperation between the teams here is depth. The Pistons have a lot more of it. Who is the Magic 6th man anyway? Brian Cook? Adonyl Foyle? Carlos Arroyo? What a joke... Magic fans meet Rodney Stuckey, Jarvis Hayes, Aaron Aflallo, McDyess/Maxiell... you're severely outmatched in terms of depth.
    A championship rotation is 7 or 8. Not 10 or 12.