Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Just got done watching a 2 hour documentary on Oscar Robertson:

I suggest any hoops historian consider purchasing and watching this 2 hour documentary on Oscar Robertson. Incredible basketball player, and incredible person.

http://www.bigovideo.com/

Lots of interesting facts about Oscar were presented in the documentary that I've never heard before and there are interviews in there from a whole range of athletes and figures vouching for his greatness explaining how he played and/or just telling stories about him.

One such fact I did not know about Oscar was that he was a also a stellar Track and Field athlete (city champ and Indiana state finalist high-jumper his HS senior year) which puts him in the same company as Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Connie Hawkins and Gus Johnson who I've come to learn were all elite track and field athletes (more specifically all of them were accomplished high-jumpers).

Default Re: Just got done watching a 2 hour documentary on Oscar Robertson:

Dude, humans were inferior back then. It was a whole 40 years ago!!!!!

Kidding, but yeah...Oscar was skilled as hell.

Fcuk outta here. They didn't even have PEDs.

#garbage

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Bobby Jones owned the North Carolina high jump record in high school for decades, I believe. Nate Robinson was a big time track and field guy as well. I think Doug Christie too. Probably a lot of others.

Does the video spend a lot of time discussing his lawsuit re: the ABA/NBA merger?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I suggest any hoops historian consider purchasing and watching this 2 hour documentary on Oscar Robertson. Incredible basketball player, and incredible person.

Lots of interesting facts about Oscar were presented in the documentary that I've never heard before and there are interviews in there from a whole range of athletes and figures vouching for his greatness explaining how he played and/or just telling stories about him.

One such fact I did not know about Oscar was that he was a also a stellar Track and Field athlete (city champ and Indiana state finalist high-jumper his HS senior year) which puts him in the same company as Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Connie Hawkins and Gus Johnson who I've come to learn were all elite track and field athletes (more specifically all of them were accomplished high-jumpers).

Is he jumping with street clothes on in that second pic?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

Know what he was jumping?

Decent college freshman

He doesn't get enough credit when mentioning the all time greats imo. I know very little about him. I know more about Connie Hawkins, lol. Is this doc on Netflix?

Anyone who says Oscar wasn't a GREAT player is deluded. But especially compared to the players of today he's not really that GOOD. Basketball has evolved so much since he played that it's not fair to compare him to players like Nash, Curry, CP3,etc. Let's just stick to talking about his accomplishments and not bring up his actual talent/skill because that simply doesn't stack up with the players of today

Very good NBA starter

David Stern and the NBA jewed him because of his union activism, pretty much destroyed his legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarriors
    He doesn't get enough credit when mentioning the all time greats imo. I know very little about him. I know more about Connie Hawkins, lol. Is this doc on Netflix?
    lol?

Let's just be honest. I am not saying this to talk shit I just want to be sincere. Basketball in the 60s just wasn't the same sport. He was a competitor, no doubt about it but that doesn't mean that he would be equally competitive today. Modern era starts from the mid-70's. And that is the absolute earliest. Personally I feel that it starts from the mid 80's.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    lol?
    LOL I'm not sure why that maybe funny.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Know what he was jumping?
    Probably a couple feet. The angle makes it look like it's high. J/K.
    Anybody seen "Something to Cheer about: Oscar Robertson and the Cripus Attucks Tigers"? I tempted to buy that dvd..only $20.

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    Let's just be honest. I am not saying this to talk shit I just want to be sincere. Basketball in the 60s just wasn't the same sport. He was a competitor, no doubt about it but that doesn't mean that he would be equally competitive today. Modern era starts from the mid-70's. And that is the absolute earliest. Personally I feel that it starts from the mid 80's.
    You do realize a lot of those 60's/70's players played quite well against guys who played into the 90s, right?