Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default Re: There's NOT A SPORT on Earth where players are better 20 years ago then now.

Quote Originally Posted by LEFT4DEAD
    I was the biggest fan of that team, and I have watched almost every game, in UCL at least. Nobody knew what is tactic before Arrigo Sacchi. Today's top teams are just copying it. Try to find yourself a documentary about that team if you were too young to see them. In that movie a lot of famous coaches who are coaching today's top teams are saying that their rolemodel were AC Milan.
    Lol, that's like when today's politicians say they're inspired by Abraham Lincoln. Sure, Sacchis Milan was a milestone in tactical development (althought your claim that before Sacchi nobody even knew what tactics was is completely absurd there was plenty of tactics before, ever heard of catenaccio for example?).
    But the game has moved on. If you tried to do Sacchis 4 4 2 today, you wouldn't have much success anymore, todays teams need much more tactical flexibility.

And haven't those Galacticos beat Valencia in 2000 too?
    No, 2000 was pre-Galactic, the Galactico era started with the signing of Figo in the summer of 2000 and then Zidane in the summer of 2001.

The 2000 Madrid was a pretty normal European top team, roughly on the same Level as Manchester and Bayern at that time. Good, but nothing special.

Then they started their big signings, with the curious result that they were special, but not overly good.

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: There's NOT A SPORT on Earth where players are better 20 years ago then now.

I was the biggest fan of that team, and I have watched almost every game, in UCL at least. Nobody knew what is tactic before Arrigo Sacchi. Today's top teams are just copying it. Try to find yourself a documentary about that team if you were too young to see them. In that movie a lot of famous coaches who are coaching today's top teams are saying that their rolemodel were AC Milan.

And haven't those Galacticos beat Valencia in 2000 too?
    Sacchi is a legend and many of his teams` triumphs come from his tactical knowledge. In those days, all the flairy teams played extremely naively and did not pay attentino to tactics and organizing. That is why our national team in Norway could be a force in the 90`s, since we had a coach that was (and is) a terrific organizer. The other teams had way better players than us, but we outsmarted them.

Today every team emphasises tactics, organizing and defense. Everything goes much faster, and the players are more often than not in near perfect physical shape. There is no way that any team from the 80s or 90s could compete against today`s top teams. I`m not even sure that the top 80s team would survive in the the Premier League. Can you imagine how often Franco Baresi would be sent off with the faster pace and stricter rules?

As for Pele, he would be destroyed if he was transfered from his peak to today`s game. But, if he grew up today, he would have every chance of being a fantastic player. Everyone is in part a product of their environment, and the better and more competetive a sport is, the better the individual players get.

Boxing

But if you think that 25 years are long enough for physical attributes of people to evolve, you are delusional.
    The most rapid genetic evolutionary change occurred around 3,000 to 11,000 years ago among the Tibetans and the Han Chinese.

Scientist say the archeological evidence doesn't match up to the more recent date of 3000 years, since there are signs that the Tibetans have lived on the Tibetan Plateau for 11,000 years and hence couldn't have split from the Han 3,000 years ago, it would have had to have been thousands of years earlier.

But let's say it was 3000 years ago, that's still a really long span of time, and 3000 years is considered unusually fast in term of evolutionary change.

25 years would be an impossibility.

"This is the fastest genetic change ever observed in humans," says Rasmus Nielsen, UC Berkeley professor of integrative biology, who led the statistical analysis."

So let's put this evolution thing to rest.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

@Braindead (apt name)

I don't even have the time. Barca revolutionized nothing, invented nothing. Michels,Cruyff,Santana and Sacchi were practicing anything you think Barca evidently long before you began watching football.

2. Conditions were different - for example football weight, pitch condition, and the fact that back in the day defenders were actually allowed to defend and attackers weren't coddled.

3.Watch this

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xy0...om=embediframe

I don't have the time or patience to explain everything - but this should be enough for you to shut up about things you know nothing about.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry
    The most rapid genetic evolutionary change occurred around 3,000 to 11,000 years ago among the Tibetans and the Han Chinese.

Scientist say the archeological evidence doesn't match up to the more recent date of 3000 years, since there are signs that the Tibetans have lived on the Tibetan Plateau for 11,000 years and hence couldn't have split from the Han 3,000 years ago, it would have had to have been thousands of years earlier.

But let's say it was 3000 years ago, that's still a really long span of time, and 3000 years is considered unusually fast in term of evolutionary change.

25 years would be an impossibility.

"This is the fastest genetic change ever observed in humans," says Rasmus Nielsen, UC Berkeley professor of integrative biology, who led the statistical analysis."

So let's put this evolution thing to rest.
    The games and the attitudes toward them have evolved a whole lot, though. In the 80s and 90s, soccer players could be overweight, alcholic and drug addicted, while still being on top of their game. I really cannot see that happening on a large scale today.

Learning to shoot layups iDunkOreo's Avatar

Golfers. Imagine if Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson got to use these new drivers and clubs that currents golfers use.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Baresi wouldn't survive in the Premeir league? ****ing Chelsea can win the Champions League but the team that played the greatest defensive football I've ever seen - not this sit back or high pressing with spaces all over the damn place would not be able to compete against todays top teams?

Even with the offside rule?

Jesus Christ.

The ****ing Premeir League too - that league has less actual tactics than my local 5th division league in Spain.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Baresi wouldn't survive in the Premeir league? ****ing Chelsea can win the Champions League but the team that played the greatest defensive football I've ever seen - not this sit back or high pressing with spaces all over the damn place would not be able to compete against todays top teams?

Even with the offside rule?

Jesus Christ.

The ****ing Premeir League too - that league has less actual tactics than my local 5th division league in Spain.
    I`m not disputing that the discussed AC Milan were one of the greatest defensive teams ever. They most certainly were. But that was against the teams of their time. Have a look at the Serie A games in the 80s and watch how insanely slow the tempo is compared to today`s game. I`m pretty sure that a team like Wigan or Stoke would caus that team a whole lot of trouble.

Regarding Baresi, he was very much a product of his time. With the much stricter rules that are being applied today, he would have been sent off a lot for professional fouls. In those days, a professional foul was just a free kick or maybe a yellow card. Today you get sent off for many of them. Baresi used a lot of tricks to cover up for his lack of pace that would never have worked today.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    @Braindead (apt name)

I don't even have the time. Barca revolutionized nothing, invented nothing. Michels,Cruyff,Santana and Sacchi were practicing anything you think Barca evidently long before you began watching football.
    That's ridiculous. Sure some elements were used here and there, but not at the same level and in the same combination.

2. Conditions were different - for example football weight, pitch condition, and the fact that back in the day defenders were actually allowed to defend and attackers weren't coddled.
    Yeah sure, the tough man argument. Surely we would all watch much better football if we had more guys like van Bommel, Vinnie Jones etc. Not.

3.Watch this

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xy0...om=embediframe

I don't have the time or patience to explain everything - but this should be enough for you to shut up about things you know nothing about.
    Great. What I see is pressing done horribly wrong (by todays standards), running towards the ball with uncoordinated groups of players, do you see how often 5 or 6 guys from one team end up in one place with no opposing player between them? - trying that today would be absolute suicide, two or three quick passes and the opposing team plays 5 against 2 in front of your own goal. But back then the Hummels-type defenders hardly existed so they could get away with it.
    Last edited by brain drain; 07-03-2013 at 05:53 AM.

Not airballing my layups anymore LastEpisode's Avatar

What about Muhammad Ali and the foursome of Duran, Haggler, Hearns and Leonard..

The ISH'ers Champion!

So far we have covered:

Basketball.
    Baseball.
    Soccer.
    Golf.
    Boxing.

Might have to consider taking OP out of my all time shit poster list.
    Last edited by PickernRoller; 07-03-2013 at 06:09 AM.

Football, or soccer for most of you

Quote Originally Posted by PickernRoller
    Cause everyone that's not is supposed to suck?

Just enjoy:

http://wapc.mlb.com/lad/play/?conten...862096&c_id=la

The monster games keep on piling......plus he ain't a 30 year old needing the buff. Last I checked, everyone is checked.
    number 66.........he is a hockey fan too...... ..........good, so now the dodgers have the highest payroll, and this guy is the only one that is any good.......

The ISH'ers Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    number 66.........he is a hockey fan too...... ..........good, so now the dodgers have the highest payroll, and this guy is the only one that is any good.......
    For how shitty they have been, since he got there the franchise has done.........wait wait for it....... a 180. This time is right

------------
    Is the hate supposed to mean something? They've been producing lately - all of them. Anyway Cubans don't watch hockey. Anything but, winter sports.
    Last edited by PickernRoller; 07-03-2013 at 06:14 AM.