Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Your Post-up Move and Etc?

Haha , I studied the Dream Shake , and I owned my 22 year old uncle, lol.

first i did the famous move the fake and go back. (dream shake)

and the second time i did same thing but with addition to the up and under . damn I wish I recorded that joint.

he thought I was gonna do the same move.

and I also like to do the kobe's version up and under ..( move against the knicks). My Retarded friends call it a travel , lol.

I just love post-up moves like Up and under is my favorite , or sometimes with a shimmy and turn-around jumper.

im tryin to improve my ballhandling skills cuz I dribble like yao ming on fastbreak.
    ( i know he never did but imagine how we dribble. *like a lump*)

Default Re: Your Post-up Move and Etc?

The Kobe move isn't a travel. Take a look at this, the Kobe series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9YrpXNwSo0. There are multiple video's, each explaining one step of the entire move.

My favorite is the hook shot with my left hand towards the middle. People know that's my go-to move so now I fake it and step under or fake and spin towards the baseline (right handed hook). I also like the back down once or twice, pump fake (spin towards the right shoulder), then use my left foot to step through for a layup. got this one from Kobe. He did the move against Courtney Lee in the Finals last year, just look it up on youtube.
    I also use the fadeaway (preferably over my right shoulder) in the high post and the Carmelo face-up jumper with the use of a jabstep.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
    The Kobe move isn't a travel. Take a look at this, the Kobe series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9YrpXNwSo0. There are multiple video's, each explaining one step of the entire move.
    My favorite is the hook shot with my left hand towards the middle. People know that's my go-to move so now I fake it and step under or fake and spin towards the baseline (right handed hook). I also like the back down once or twice, pump fake (spin towards the right shoulder), then use my left foot to step through for a layup. got this one from Kobe. He did the move against Courtney Lee in the Finals last year, just look it up on youtube.
    I also use the fadeaway (preferably over my right shoulder) in the high post and the Carmelo face-up jumper with the use of a jabstep.
    Thats what im trying to tell them I mean I did it before in the basketball league and when I perfectly executed it , everybody was like WOAHH!! But then I got distracted and missed the bankshot.

So Now I Usually Play on pick-up Games and they call it travel, its b.s.
    I explained it to them and they know im right but they dont wanna admit it.
    lol

I like kobe's version of the dream shake (a video when hakeem taght him his moves).

btw i cant find any KG post up moves on youtube. or does his he only do the turnaround jumper?

Banned

Thats what im trying to tell them I mean I did it before in the basketball league and when I perfectly executed it , everybody was like WOAHH!! But then I got distracted and missed the bankshot.

So Now I Usually Play on pick-up Games and they call it travel, its b.s.
    I explained it to them and they know im right but they dont wanna admit it.
    lol

I like kobe's version of the dream shake (a video when hakeem taght him his moves).

btw i cant find any KG post up moves on youtube. or does he only do the turnaround jumper?

From the left block

1. Hook of the glass. It's a one footed hook (Kind of like a Magic Johnson Baby hook) drop stepping towards the baseline.

2. Fade away towards the baseline. If I am too far for the hook, then I will fade away Kobe esk.

3. Up and under. If they are expecting the hook or Fade and lunge forward... it's an easy layup. I usually don't even half to swing around like McHale cus my guy will be to the left of me, so I can just take my step forward and lay it up.

4. Fake the drop step toward the baseline and either do a little lefty hook... or more likely http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGgi6vbUO2M

5. Ron Artest little step through move. I do it when I feel the defender is trying to take away baseline... I'll just do a little drop step or hard dribble middle and lay it up.

Right Block

Baseline Fadeaway - By far my favorite shot. Ungaurdable basically (never had it blocked... rarely challenged)

Running Hook - Kind of like what Dwight does... but not that retarded I usually get by my guy enough to do like a sweeping motion off the glass.

Righty hook - sometimes It's a quick little flip... almost like what Chris Webber used to do. It's not the prettiest thing but it works alright. Sometimes it's a more traditional hook... depends who is guarding me.

Up and under - More of a traditional up and under because It's based on my right hook or middle fade away (which I use if I'm given a little space or if they really can't contest me). If they bite, they will go past me to might right and I will just step left and lay it up. Sometimes I will do the Kobe reverse pivot... depends on where they guy is.

Both Blocks

Spin move. I will spin off my defender from either block if they are guarding middle or are putting a lot of their weight into me. I get super low so people usually have to put in all their weight if they want to stop me from backing them down.

I will film myself tomorrow and show these moves and what they look like when I do them.

Banned

i Developed a habbit of a spin move, lol damn you post-ups .

I mean it gets annoying because i want to do this but I always get an open lane when I spin.. ALWAYS! But sometimes people corner me / double team.

when backing down , i hate it when people tend to raise their leg/knee up my ass to my rightleg (vice versa) its stupid because it would look wrong and I cant perform any moves.
    But im still trying to study and counter that part.

God, wish basketball was same like the 60's where layups and jumpshots was all they knew.

When I back down against guys my length or maybe slightly taller just less strong they will often complain that I am committing an offensive foul. Even though they put their hands on me (handchecking, anyone?).

Sucks, but at least guys of 6'6 or taller don't mind .

Banned

When I back down against guys my length or maybe slightly taller just less strong they will often complain that I am committing an offensive foul. Even though they put their hands on me (handchecking, anyone?).

Sucks, but at least guys of 6'6 or taller don't mind .
    lol yea , but hand check is normal and it actually gives you an advantage for sum reason , i always thought that its an advantage for us.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe8

im tryin to improve my ballhandling skills cuz I dribble like yao ming on fastbreak.
    ( i know he never did but imagine how we dribble. *like a lump*)
    He's not as bad as you would think
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pctMowuZik

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Mainly feel where the guy is and execute fakes based on that. I do a lot of up and unders, on the left block I have a fadeaway bank which I've mastered through practice, and the counter move to that is a jumphook spinning to the opposite side. I don't post as much on the right block but when I do it's mainly a left handed hook while going towards the middle.

my fav from the right block is afading hook, i'm still working on the left

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

I tend to use a spin move or hesitation move where I just look back at my teammate who is still in 180 degree vision with the basket and continue doing the move. I guess I need to work on more post moves.

NBA Superstar

Historically, my post game has always been pretty weak. It's pretty much consisted off a mediocre right handed jump hook and not much else. Even when guarded by smaller players, I took it as a challenge to beat them from the perimeter as opposed to trying to post them up.

However, lately, I've made the smallest bit of headway in my post game. When guarded by much smaller players, I've begun establishing myself in the post (instead of coming off screens or v-cutting to the perimeter) and instead of trying to McHale my way to an easy basket, I've just been reverse pivoting (pre-dribble) and squaring my man up.

I know, it sounds simple, but it was sort of a eureka moment in terms of being able to find a big time advantage against a shorter, faster, and stronger defender. Facing up from the post often means that defender is in very close quarters (since he was just bodying me up). From there, I've noticed he's extremely vulnerable to virtually any move I make out of the triple threat, since he's so close.

I made a killing with that strategy lately. I know I'll have off days in that regard, but I was excited to hopefully establish another wrinkle to my game, no matter how simple.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Historically, my post game has always been pretty weak. It's pretty much consisted off a mediocre right handed jump hook and not much else. Even when guarded by smaller players, I took it as a challenge to beat them from the perimeter as opposed to trying to post them up.

However, lately, I've made the smallest bit of headway in my post game. When guarded by much smaller players, I've begun establishing myself in the post (instead of coming off screens or v-cutting to the perimeter) and instead of trying to McHale my way to an easy basket, I've just been reverse pivoting (pre-dribble) and squaring my man up.

I know, it sounds simple, but it was sort of a eureka moment in terms of being able to find a big time advantage against a shorter, faster, and stronger defender. Facing up from the post often means that defender is in very close quarters (since he was just bodying me up). From there, I've noticed he's extremely vulnerable to virtually any move I make out of the triple threat, since he's so close.

I made a killing with that strategy lately. I know I'll have off days in that regard, but I was excited to hopefully establish another wrinkle to my game, no matter how simple.
    I love those moments when you discover something that seems so simple yet so powerful for your game.

I love posting weaker players, in my Saturday pick up games, there's a couple of dudes, as soon as I get them isolated, I'll back them right into the paint.

I usually then proceed to either fake pass one way and spin the other or do a pump fake and turn around J the other. I am also fairly proficient at a step back up and under in the situation that I decide to face up.

However I tend to avoid facing up in the post, I struggle with the tighter space and am to afraid to risk turning the ball over.

How do you cope with the tight space/create your space of a face up Rake?

I have my own post etiquette I learned in high school. I stay low, catch the entry with two hands at all times, and no matter what move I make (ie. hook over either shoulder, fadeaways, drop steps etc.) i make sure I always come to a two point jump stop. This way the defender can't cheat on my pivot foot, because I haven't established one yet.

Staying low is a general rule for all situations on the court when you intend to be aggressive, if a smaller guy is on you and you stay low you could literally back him down inside the block for an easy look at the glass if you have good elevation.

Aside from these two things, I try not to stick to the same moves and just try and play ball within those parameters, unless of course I know my defender is cheating/defending me a certain way.