Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I still find it hard to believe so many people can do it because besides the obvious lack of proof anywhere, it's such a big feat that IMO if anyone could they'd be in Nike or Powerade commercials doing it. Even if they suck, they would find a way somehow to get their showoff on.
    You would think that but how many times have we ever seen someone go headlevel just for the sake of proving they could? Dwight Howard kissed the rim once and its the closest ive seen as far as filmed proof.

But everyone knows it happens. Its not even rare. At all.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

Id like to see that 12 foot dunk done next to a normal rim just to see how high he looked next to it.
    How did that guy set a world record (12') when he's only 6'6" and he's (only) 44" off the ground at most? Doesn't seem like it, but he must have a hell of a wingspan. Otherwise I don't get it.

You know, it seems strange because we see guys jump so high all the time like it's effortless. You get the feeling that they can go higher if they want, but the truth is that guys probably jump as high as they can in a game (warm legs, adrenaline, trying to make highlight reels, etc.). I don't really remember anyone's hand being near the top of the backboard in a game before, so that should tell us something I think. Even the really big blocks on the fast break where guys get a full head of steam to jump up and pin a shot on the glass, it's never higher than the top of the square, right?
    Last edited by ClutchCityReturns; 12-24-2006 at 03:20 PM.

Wilt Chamberlain would be the one I put all my money on if I had a chance.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchCityReturns
    See, I think this is a good example. Dude is flying, dunking 12' (world record) off a running start, but look at his feet. He's still only 44" at most off the ground (just compare his feet to the ruler). He'd still need another 12+ inches somewhere to touch the top of the backboard. Meaning with the same jumping ability he'd have to have a wingspan that was a foot longer. Maybe Datz can help me out but I think the usual wingspan for a 6'6" guy is about 6'8" or so. Going by that, even if some guy had a 7'4" wingspan and a vertical up around 48". Even then he might still come up just short.

It seems strange because we see guys jump so high. You get the feeling that they can go higher if they want, but the truth is that guys probably never jump as high as they do in a game (warm legs, adrenaline, trying to make highlight reels, etc.). I don't really remember anyone's hand being near the top of the backboard in a game before, so that should tell us something I think.

poor logic

if he is dunking on twelve feet he has to get the whole ball over the rim right?

That means his hand has to be at least 12'6"

Now picture the same guy jumping WITHOUT the ball. It is way easier to jump without the ball.

he could easily add six inches

Travis Outlaw was like a wristbands width short of the top in that picture that was going around. Why its so hard to find now I dont know. But I read an interview with him saying hes gotten really close hardly trying. But hes never gotten to the very top. Like where he could hang onto the top.

That jump is without the ball. He dunked it off an alley.

College superstar

It's even possible Wild Thing couldn't do it. You only have to be 5 inches higher than the rim to get a 1hander in, he might "only" be 12'5, or 12'7 (I heard he did a 12'2 rim). Even if nobody would just run up to the rim during halftime and just jump up and hang on the top like "yo look at me" (I would if I could btw), just looking at how high guys are when they dunk, they don't really seem to be there. Highest I ever seen anyone on a dunk I think was the Haislip putback over Kenyon Martin. Ricky Davis and Stacey Augmon both had some head level putback but neither are as tall and long as Haislip who was listed 6'10

NBA Superstar

That jump is without the ball. He dunked it off an alley.
    he's still gotta line it up and time it, he still has to focus some energy on the catch and flush. a six foot wide backboard as a much wider margin of error

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    poor logic

if he is dunking on twelve feet he has to get the whole ball over the rim right?

That means his hand has to be at least 12'6"

Now picture the same guy jumping WITHOUT the ball. It is way easier to jump without the ball.

he could easily add six inches
    edit: my math was off when i responded to this initially and i said he needed an extra 13". he actually needs an extra 7", and that's still not the kind of improvement you see suddenly. i mean, the guy was going for world record. if it were possible for him to jump ANY higher, i'm sure he would have. 7" isn't just coming out of nowhere. maybe 1 or 2.
    Last edited by ClutchCityReturns; 12-24-2006 at 03:41 PM.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xeO7oOmk0gI

Look at Larry Nance at 1:32. They never show that entire dunk but if you pause it you can see he dunked it with his elbow fully bent and his head at or over the rim and if you see it all...he hardly jumped. He was getting up there like nothing.

Hes headlevel coming from the ft line and doing a mini reverse windmill earlier in there.

Has to be close to the highest anyone gets on film.

Local High School Star The Answer's Avatar

Id like to see that 12 foot dunk done next to a normal rim just to see how high he looked next to it.
    That's absolutely amazing. Who is this guy? Some Globetrotter I guess. It looks like hes got his entire hand over the rim. Why aren't there NBA players trying to break this guys record dunk?

College superstar

http://www.nba.com/blazers/chat/trav...pt_011006.html
    Nicolas (France): Hey Travis, did you really touch the top of the backboard ?

Travis Outlaw: Ha-ha (Laughing) I don't know, it depends on the mood I'm in. I've gotten close when I wasn't tryin' that hard...I've never touched the top-top of the backboard, but you never know....
    Kareem?

[quote]Now Lew Alcindor is 19, a sophomore playing his first varsity year, and all the nightmares are coming true. He has grown to an awesome 7 ft. 1⅜ in., and in his initial two games he has shown why U.C.L.A.'s Bruins are favorites to wind up as the nation's No. 1 team.

Stopping Alcindor (pronounced Al-sin-der) is obviously a necessity for any team that has designs on the N.C.A.A. championship

Dont know. Clyde Drexler dunked on an 11.5 one almost 20 years ago.

Local High School Star The Answer's Avatar

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xeO7oOmk0gI

Look at Larry Nance at 1:32. They never show that entire dunk but if you pause it you can see he dunked it with his elbow fully bent and his head at or over the rim and if you see it all...he hardly jumped. He was getting up there like nothing.

Hes headlevel coming from the ft line and doing a mini reverse windmill earlier in there.

Has to be close to the highest anyone gets on film.
    Unbelievable. Nance was way up there. After this video and the pic of the guy dunking on the 12 ft rim I'm starting to think that some guys really can do it. Though I don't think Joakim Noah's one of them like the announcer said.

College superstar