Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Bigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputation
Default Re: Bill Walton: Mike D'Antoni saved the sport of basketball

the weed got the best of Bill Walton's mind

fucking hippy
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
Some of the Knick fans are saying things that make me embarrassed. Just because he sucked at the end with us (at the end) doesn't mean he wasn't terrific in Phoenix.

The biggest turnaround in NBA history (until Boston) probably means something. I don't think Steve Nash coached them.
D'Antoni Suns without Nash = 21-40

with Amare, Joe johnson, Leandro Barbosa, Marion, McDyess and for a month Marbury and Anfernee Hardway.

If you want to credit D'Antoni with a turnaround, i got one for you, how the Knicks got incredibly better the moment he left... same players.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this boardBlue&Orange is popular on this board

Quote:
Amare is a great player, but he's not a guy to carry a team. Yet, he did. It is, however, foolish to think he did it all on his own. D'Antoni did a lot with that team and to say he didn't is just wrong.
Funny you mention Amare, cause he is the living proof of how incompetent D'Antoni is.

If anyone wonder how a NBA player looks like if in all his professional career he never had a coach, look no further.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
Funny you mention Amare, cause he is the living proof of how incompetent D'Antoni is.

If anyone wonder how a NBA player looks like if in all his professional career he never had no coach, look no further.

I guess we could blame D'Antoni for Amare's lack of understanding when to bend your knees while playing defense, just as we blame him for the lack of coaching Amare had the two years D'Antoni was gone.

Quote:
D'Antoni Suns without Nash = 21-40 with Amare, Joe johnson, Leandro Barbosa, Marion, McDyess and for a month Marbury and Anfernee Hardway.

If you want to credit D'Antoni with a turnaround, i got one for you, how the Knicks got incredibly better the moment he left... same players.

You always got one. You have an answer for everything D'Antoni has ever done well and the answer is always the same.

The Suns won 44 games in 02-03 and started the next season 8-13...with the same Marbury who sucked ass on the Nets before Kidd doubled their win total and then went on to win 15 fewer games on his new Phoenix team.

Amare was in his second year and Marbury had already worn out his welcome. They got Nash and the team had the biggest turnaround ever, which was a consequence of Nash being the absolute MVP and best player in the NBA that regular season.

Nash was 30 and had never shown any signs of that level of play prior to coming back to Phoenix. D'Antoni's system allowed Nash to be something we never knew he could be. He also maximized a team without any decent center. He was also the coach in charge of a team that lost Johnson and made great use of Diaw, while losing his premier scorer for the season and yet winning the division again and going to the WCF's again. He was just lucky? Of course, cuz you're salty.

But let's be real...since you list all these great players D'Antoni had and failed with, when he didn't have Steve Nash.

Joe Johnson had never done shit in his career until D'Antoni became the coach. Prior to him being the coach Johnson had never averaged 10PPG. When D'Antoni was hired, 21 games into the season, Johnson was averaging 11PPG. Johnson finished the year at 16.7

He had Anfernee Hardaway...is this that Penny fellow? Hardaway played 34 games and couldn't play 26MPG, nor could he score 10PPG. Leandro Barbosa? Barbosa was a rookie that year and a rookie from Brazil, no less.

He had McDyess? You're telling me that? The broken one? The guy that the Suns traded that great Marbury player for, 34 games into the season? So much for having Marbury. But McDyess? The guy didn't average 10PPG per 36. He could hardly move.

You can whine it how you like but the work he did in Phoenix was terrific. There is nothing you can argue there. If you say you saw the flaws in his game, then that's fine. I wouldn't even disagree with you. But his work there was worthy COTY stuff. But instead you give me generic arguments that are factually wrong. You argue the Knicks got better when he left but you don't argue that the Suns missed the playoffs the year he left. Every player you mentioned...it sounds stupid because it is.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

When i said D'Antoni was the only coach that had homers i wasn't joking.

Look at all the excuses

I remember when i used a quote of Kwame Brown, that played under Phil Jackson, basically calling D'Antoni coaching, kindergarten stuff... and guess what, just like Lebron or Kobe stans, people started making fan of Kwame Brown basketball IQ.

Steve Nash,
Dallas 17ppg \ 7.7apg
Dallas 14.5ppg \ 8.8apg
Suns 15.5ppg \ 11.5apg

It's not like he wasn't already improving before going to the suns, and it's no like spoon feeding a freaking athletic Amare and playing a at a faster pace didn't help him stat pad.

I can't think of anything more idiotic than thinking that Nash is a product of D'Antoni and not the other way around.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #21
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Dantoni didn't do anything that hadn't been done before. Teams changed their philosophy on Basketball because of the rule changes.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #22
OldSchoolBBall
NBA rookie of the year

OldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation hereOldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation hereOldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation hereOldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation hereOldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation hereOldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster
Before that in the 80's they didn't even run pickn'roll in the NBA at all. .

OldSchoolBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #23
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
When i said D'Antoni was the only coach that had homers i wasn't joking.

Look at all the excuses

I remember when i used a quote of Kwame Brown, that played under Phil Jackson, basically calling D'Antoni coaching, kindergarten stuff... and guess what, just like Lebron or Kobe stans, people started making fan of Kwame Brown basketball IQ.

Steve Nash,
Dallas 17ppg \ 7.7apg
Dallas 14.5ppg \ 8.8apg
Suns 15.5ppg \ 11.5apg

It's not like he wasn't already improving before going to the suns, and it's no like spoon feeding a freaking athletic Amare and playing a at a faster pace didn't help him stat pad.

I can't think of anything more idiotic than thinking that Nash is a product of D'Antoni and not the other way around.

Excuses? I said you were wrong and that's an excuse? You said he did nothing in Phoenix and I corrected you like a dumbass needs correcting on each and every point you made. Show me the excuse tho.

This is annoying. I don't even care for D'Antoni that much, tho I dug those Phoenix teams. But dumb is dumb. You say I made an excuse for the year he took over halfway and didn't do well? No, special boy, I told you how he improved them and made them a great team over the next 4 years.

Who was already improving? Joe Johnson? I just finished telling you he didn't average 10PPG in either of his first two seasons and that he was averaging 11PPG more than a quarter into the season, until D'Antoni took over and raised his PPG over 50% by the end of the season. Are you trying to tell me Nash was improving? At that rate? Are you really interested in being that retarded?

Idiotic is someone who I'm sure has seen me post about how I think Nash is still peak Nash and still arguably the best PG in the league, trying to tell me that I think he's a product of D'Antoni, when Nash has remained the same player and had maybe his best season in 09/10, under Alvin Gentry. Idiotic is to not differentiate between someone giving a coach credit and someone labeling Nash a product of anything. Yes, Nash did it all alone. D'Antoni and his offense had no impact on the Suns having the highest rated offense in the league's history. He only had an impact in them not winning because their defense sucked (rated mid-table during his years), even tho they might have had the best record in the league over those 4 years.

Making excuses is you talking like D'Antoni ever kept us from doing something.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #24
Sharmer
Alpha Centauri

Sharmer posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrySharmer posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic

Sharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #25
Micku
NBA lottery pick

Micku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMicku is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well, kind'a. I think it's better to say that he gave the NBA a breath of fresh air. Before the Suns 04-05 (I haven't listened to the interview yet) if I can recall correctly, the league had some bad offense play in the early 00s. There was a lot of isos and not a lot of ball movement.

The zone was supposed to help with that, along with stopping Shaq. The game was very slow because teams tended to slow the pace down a lot more back then. But with the addition of Nash, Mike D'Antoni system, and the removal of hand-checking again, the Suns were a breath of fresh air. They were a very big deal at the time.

They were running up and down the floor, and shooting pretty fast. They were similar to how 80s teams play, and they were stacked for the most part. If they would've won the championship, then I think they would have more impact and the league would start changing to fit what they were doing more. Even though they didn't win, they still had an impact on the league no doubt.

With that said though, the 01-02 Kings were similar. I do not know why they didn't have an impact as much as the Suns team though. My guess is that the the Suns were a 29 team before. Then turned into a 62 win team with Nash. How much does it have to do with Nash or coaching is something to argue about I guess.

Either way, the 04-05 Suns team did have an impact on the NBA I think.

Quote:
Some of the Knick fans are saying things that make me embarrassed. Just because he sucked at the end with us (at the end) doesn't mean he wasn't terrific in Phoenix.

The biggest turnaround in NBA history (until Boston) probably means something. I don't think Steve Nash coached them.

This is true. Which may be a big reason why they impact the league imo.
Micku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #26
knicksman
Good college starter

knicksman has a bad reputationknicksman has a bad reputationknicksman has a bad reputation

well the league is losing for a reason. Its because its the only league who prefers iso over team ball when the reason why NFL and soccer and even NCAA is on another level because they all play team ball. So it could be true that dantoni saved the league coz its the only team that plays team ball.
knicksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #27
dannywpt
Analyst and therapist

dannywpt has decent reputation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNe_GMH-l64
dannywpt is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: