Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Spidey out of MCU

I think Sony is smart enough to know that Spider-Man disappearing from the MCU never to be seen or mentioned again will throw a serious wrench in the world building and continuity that the MCU has worked so hard to achieve. It

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
    What else is left for him to do in the MCU though? The Avengers storyline is dead and he doesn't fit in any upcoming movies.
    Whatever they do will make them a billion. They can put trash together and still make a billion. Sony, disney, everyone knows it is a cash cow so now they will fight over it for their shareholders.. America in a nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    MCU Spiderman is atrocious anyway. He isn't even Spiderman, but Iron man Jr. It's cringe worthy how much they fukked over Spiderman. I didn't particularly like the reboot, but the action scenes were great as far as how Spiderman would actually be.
    Sad part is that the agreement is Sony has to release a Spiderman movie every 2 years or they lose rights to him to Marvel aka Disney. They can't lose it because it is their billion dollar cash cow. So Sony will keep rebooting Spiderman every few movies

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Spidey is bigger than Superman internationally

Sony in the driver seat. Unless they go the Secret wars route...

Whoever buys Beyonder will rule all

[QUOTE=macmac]
    They signed a contract and made a deal, now Disney wants to change it for what reason? Because they

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    I think Sony is smart enough to know that Spider-Man disappearing from the MCU never to be seen or mentioned again will throw a serious wrench in the world building and continuity that the MCU has worked so hard to achieve. It’s not just about the profit of each movie, it’s about the overall balance. Same reason why Feige was so tentative to mix the tv shows with the movies, overall quality control.

That’s why Sony is the one putting out statements and Disney is so tight lipped.

They signed a contract and made a deal, now Disney wants to change it for what reason? Because they’re successful? They knew the movies would be successful from the get go, that’s why they made this unprecedented merger deal. The projected success was built in to the original agreement.

I don’t understand how fans can take Disney’s side on this, even if Disney was to make 0$ on this deal, they should honour the agreement to keep the MCU world intact and smooth as that is worth more than any individual franchise.
    The contract already ran it's course. Far from Home was the last movie.
    They are negotiating a new contract. Marvel wrote and produced the new SM movies, Sony took 95% of the profit. Asking for 50% now is too much of course, but that's just an opening bid. Disney certainly deserves more than 5%

Also, you can say the same thing now about SM. He was so intertwined with Ironman, but now can't mention Stark(his mentor, father figure and a huge plotpoint in the previous movies), Fury, Shield, the Avengers or even May's new bf Happy? I guess it's back to fighting Green goblin and killing Uncle Ben. Marvel can use SM sure, but they don't NEED him. People forget that IM and CA were B-listers before the MCU. GoTG and BP were C and D listers. Also, don't forget that Disney now has F4, Blade and X-Men back. Sony has....Morbius next . I saw Venom, and even though it made money, it was terrible. Now if they do that to an A lister like Venom, imagine how bad a Silver Sable or Sinister 6 movie will be because that's what Sony is developing now. Into the Spiderverse was legit good, but that only made around 300 million. Also, animation and live action are totally different. see: Dc cartoons vs DCEU

Sony is putting out statements for damage control since the fanboys are blaming them for all this. The fans have a point. Marvel's Spiderman is far better than Sony's, except for maybe the OG SM2.

#Neverforget

Last edited by Facepalm; 08-22-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeezy
    Spidey is bigger than Superman internationally

Sony in the driver seat. Unless they go the Secret wars route...

Whoever buys Beyonder will rule all
    The collaboration with Marvel resulted in the highest-grossing Sony movie ofalltime.But it was not the biggest Marvel movie of all time.The MCU is that snowball rolling down the hill that just gets bigger and bigger. Kevin Feige, Marvel's creative team and the intertwined MCU are what Sony needs to be a part of to make the kind of insanely profitable movie Homecoming was. Their last Garfield Spiderman made 200 mil. Homecoming will beat that by a factor of 10, at the very least.

I'm not taking a side in terms of right and wrong, if anyone is breaking their word/the contract that would be wrong but I'm pretty sure that a breached contract would be getting litigated in court. I'm just saying that Sony has the weaker hand here

X-factor to consider: Right or wrong, the general public appears to be blaming Sony and some people are talking about boycotting their Spiderman movies. People are going to know that any movie they make without Marvel is not part of the MCU and many comic movie fans are resentful of them potentially damaging the MCU, a resentment that will affect their box office.

I don't know for certain what they would spend to make a Spiderman movie but they need to think real hard about how much money they won't make once they step out of the MCU. They could cost themselves hundreds of Millions of dollars.

Last thought for now: Just a few years ago in the comic books, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Wolverine, and Professor X were all dead. They let the boring Inhumans that no one cares about beat the crap out of the XMen and wrote Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch out of Magneto's family. I'm betting that was related to Marvel not having the movie rights. They are all now resurrected and that's got to be about Marvel buying FOX. Similarly, a few years ago, Peter Parker was dead. If this keeps up, expect him to die again. I have no quote from anyone regarding this subject but I still feel sure that Marvel does this because the movies are their real money-makers and they view the comics as just some kind of ad or appetizer for the movies they're making. Thus by killing key characters they can damage the value of the property for the opposing movie studio and eventually regaining the right to make movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    The collaboration with Marvel resulted in the highest-grossing Sony movie ofalltime.But it was not the biggest Marvel movie of all time.The MCU is that snowball rolling down the hill that just gets bigger and bigger. Kevin Feige, Marvel's creative team and the intertwined MCU are what Sony needs to be a part of to make the kind of insanely profitable movie Homecoming was. Their last Garfield Spiderman made 200 mil. Homecoming will beat that by a factor of 10, at the very least.

I'm not taking a side in terms of right and wrong, if anyone is breaking their word/the contract that would be wrong but I'm pretty sure that a breached contract would be getting litigated in court. I'm just saying that Sony has the weaker hand here.
    X
    -factors to consider: Right or wrong, the general public appears to be blaming Sony and some people are talking about boycotting their Spiderman movies. People are going to know that any movie they make without Marvel is not part of the MCU and many comic movie fans are resentful of them potentially damaging the MCU, a resentment that will affect their box office.

I don't know for certain what they would spend to make a Spiderman movie but they need to think real hard about how much money they won't make once they step out of the MCU. They could cost themselves hundreds of Millions of dollars.

Last thought for now: Just a few years ago in the comic books, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Wolverine, and Professor X were all dead. They let the boring Inhumans that no one cares about beat the crap out of the XMen and wrote Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch out of Magneto's family. I'm betting that was related to Marvel not having the movie rights. They are all now resurrected and that's got to be about Marvel buying FOX. Similarly, a few years ago, Peter Parker was dead. If this keeps up, expect him to die again. I have no quote from anyone regarding this subject but I still feel sure that Marvel does this because the movies are their real money-makers and they view the comics as just some kind of ad or appetizer for the movies they're making. Thus by killing key characters they can damage the value of the property for the opposing movie studio and eventually regaining the right to make movies.
    Here's another thought...If Disney no longer needs to play nice with Sony what's to stop them for waiting until Sony announces the release date for SM: Prom Night and Disney says...guess what...BP 2, Avengers 5 or X-Men are coming out the same weekend? Sony would get absolutely steam rolled. I think they did something similar to one of DC's movies.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Facepalm
    Here's another thought...If Disney no longer needs to play nice with Sony what's to stop them for waiting until Sony announces the release date for SM: Prom Night and Disney says...guess what...BP 2, Avengers 5 or X-Men are coming out the same weekend? Sony would get absolutely steam rolled. I think they did something similar to one of DC's movies.
    The MCU X-Men release is going to blot out the sun.

By the way Spiderman's last director, the one that helped it reach 1 billion, now says his role is uncertain due to the ongoing dispute. He was originally on board to direct the 3rd one.
    Last edited by Facepalm; 08-22-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    The MCU X-Men release is going to blot out the sun.
    Troof. Rumors are saying it will culminate with Avengers vs X-Men

The contract already ran it's course. Far from Home was the last movie.
    They are negotiating a new contract. Marvel wrote and produced the new SM movies, Sony took 95% of the profit. Asking for 50% now is too much of course, but that's just an opening bid. Disney certainly deserves more than 5%

Also, you can say the same thing now about SM. He was so intertwined with Ironman, but now can't mention Stark(his mentor, father figure and a huge plotpoint in the previous movies), Fury, Shield, the Avengers or even May's new bf Happy? I guess it's back to fighting Green goblin and killing Uncle Ben. Marvel can use SM sure, but they don't NEED him. People forget that IM and CA were B-listers before the MCU. GoTG and BP were C and D listers. Also, don't forget that Disney now has F4, Blade and X-Men back. Sony has....Morbius next . I saw Venom, and even though it made money, it was terrible. Now if they do that to an A lister like Venom, imagine how bad a Silver Sable or Sinister 6 movie will be because that's what Sony is developing now. Into the Spiderverse was legit good, but that only made around 300 million. Also, animation and live action are totally different. see: Dc cartoons vs DCEU

Sony is putting out statements for damage control since the fanboys are blaming them for all this. The fans have a point. Marvel's Spiderman is far better than Sony's, except for maybe the OG SM2.

#Neverforget

Are you sure the contract ran its course? From what I

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    Are you sure the contract ran its course? From what I’ve read that wasn’t the case but it was all Reddit and forum stuff. If that’s the case, then that does change things a bit.

As far as SM continuity you’re right, but they can always reboot like the bastards they are. Much tougher to reboot the MCU
    Yup contract is over, they were negotiating new terms.
    The arrangement between Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures to collaborate on Spider-Man movies is reportedly over, with Sony opting to not renew a deal that would have seen Marvel/Disney take 50% of any future Spider-Man movie profits in exchange for the creative guidance of producer and MCU boss Kevin Feige.
    That means Spider-Man is effectively out of the MCU and back into his own solo movie universe overseen solely by Sony.
    Former Sony boss and ongoing Spider-Man producer Amy Pascal caused a stir in 2017 when she said, "One of the things that I think is so amazing about this experience is that you don’t have studios deciding to work together to make a film very often. In fact it may never happen again, after we do the sequel [to Spider-Man: Homecoming]."
    There's no need to reboot the MCU currently. Disney has so many properties under the Marvel banner to play with right now. Avengers isn't even on the board until phase 5 at the earliest
    Last edited by Facepalm; 08-22-2019 at 04:35 PM.

That's true. Sony was edging towards bankruptcy - they can't keep up with Disney, who is bathing in enough money to buy Sony outright

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    That's true. Sony was edging towards bankruptcy - they can't keep up with Disney, who is bathing in enough money to buy Sony outright
    I don't want Disney to buy Sony. They are more than big enough. I do want them to get Spiderman back though. Let's give Sony Alien, Predator, Planet of the Apes, Die Hard, and Kingsmen for the rights to Spiderman. Those franchises aren't suitable for the Mouse anyways.