Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 11-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
dak121
College star

Default 'should've been the coach' 2.0 - Tom Thibodeaux

Defensive guru for the Celtics. 15+ years of NBA assistant coaching experience, probably the best in the game at what he does. And you would have to think that offensively he would have enough sense to implement a PG-dominant system for Rose.

Price? Less than what they would've offered D'Antoni that's for sure.

Just goes to show how ass-backwards Paxson is as a GM. Had a perfectly good coaching candidate available if he would've waited until the Celtics season began.

And if Paxson would've used the 'but there would no time to evaluate potential draft picks' excuse than that's another reason to fire him. How hard is it to pick between Rose/Beasley? Either way you can't go wrong.

Now I have to watch the Del Negro/Paxson/Reinsdorf triumvirate of idiocy, wasting away the early Rose years with their characterball.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #2
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

Default Re: 'should've been the coach' 2.0 - Tom Thibodeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
Defensive guru for the Celtics. 15+ years of NBA assistant coaching experience, probably the best in the game at what he does. And you would have to think that offensively he would have enough sense to implement a PG-dominant system for Rose.

Just goes to show how ass-backwards Paxson is as a GM. Had a perfectly good coaching candidate available if he would've waited until the Celtics season began.

And if Paxson would've used the 'but there would no time to evaluate potential draft picks' excuse than that's another reason to fire him. How hard is it to pick between Rose/Beasley? Either way you can't go wrong.

Now I have to watch the Del Negro/Paxson/Reinsdorf triumvirate of idiocy, wasting away the early Rose years with their characterball.

To be honest, I think this is an entirely valid complaint. D'Antoni probably never took his interview as anything more than going through the motions considering how quickly it was announced he joined the Knicks.

However, how did Thibodeaux never even get an interview? His reputation is rock-solid and it just seems a shame he was never really considered.

I still believe that good defense comes first over a high-powered offense, (the Bulls don't have much offense to offer anyway) and Thibodeaux is the man until someone can clearly make a better case for another candidate.

Lebron James is ****ing awesome...but how good would the Cav's be if they didn't play good team defense?
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:22 AM   #3
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

So basically this thread is about dwelling on something that can't be changed.

It is what it is man. Paxson hired Vinny Del Negro and the Bulls are 3-4 and your already saying he is a failure as a coach.

How the **** can you predict Tom Thibodeaux would be good as a head coach at all? He may be a great defensive strategist/coach but the Celtics had/have an amazing team for the most part that has Kevin Garnett at the heart of the D.

No matter who the coach could be, there would still be too many guards for a solid rotation if all healthy. The Bulls would still not have a solid low post option on offense. The Bulls still don't have enough solid defensive players to be a "great" or probably even "good" defensive team. Last but not least the Bulls would still not have a superstar. Yes Derrick Rose is amazing and will for sure be a superstar. We all know he isn't quite on the level(YET) of the players i think of when you say superstar though. ****, as soon as the refs start giving him that superstar treatment he deserves, he will be just about there.

Lets talk about the present or future. We are 7 games into the season talking about Tom Thibodeaux.... really?
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:29 AM   #4
dak121
College star

Hmm

Coach that has never coached a game of basketball in his entire life until now
vs.
The best assistant coach in the NBA

Which guy would seem to be more capable of running a team? Only arrogant dopes (like Reinsdorf/Paxson) pick option A. But if Del Negro's shotty coaching can get the Bulls another high pick for Paxson to not waste, it might be worth it.

It's a good thing that Del Negro is only signed to a 2 year deal. Shows a lot of confidence in his 'ability'.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
Dat1
Learning to shoot layups

I agree with Dengness9. It's too early to judge Del Negro. You should wait until the All-Star break to start criticizing Paxson.
Dat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:35 AM   #6
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

I never said Thobodeaux wouldn't be good, or that he or VDN is better than one another. It's the point that your talking about Tom F'ing Thibodeaux right now, and how does he relate to anything going on Bulls right now? Seriously though?

He is the assistant coach of the Boston Celtics and that's that.

And I also have to say that I think VDN stepped into a disaster of a lineup/rotation minus Derrick Rose, and that his job is really tough. He has already made bad moves or moves I don't agree with as a coach, but it's so early.

I am gonna give the guy more time and have a little faith in it all. That's better to concentrate on than an assistant coach who never even got interviewed I think?? I might be wrong I really don't know.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
Undisputed
Do. Your. Job.

Quote:
Hmm

Coach that has never coached a game of basketball in his entire life until now
vs.
The best assistant coach in the NBA

Which guy would seem to be more capable of running a team? Only arrogant dopes (like Reinsdorf/Paxson) pick option A. But if Del Negro's shotty coaching can get the Bulls another high pick for Paxson to not waste, it might be worth it.

It's a good thing that Del Negro is only signed to a 2 year deal. Shows a lot of confidence in his 'ability'.

Vinny has Bickerstaff and Harris with him, he'll be fine.
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
trig
Decent college freshman

Thibodeaux slightly became more famous because the celts won a ring. From what I remember, celts didnt allow him to talk to other teams since they were still in the playoffs/finals. If he was available and he is that good, he had plenty of chances to become head coach. dallas, suns, bucks, knicks all had new coaches.

To be a succesful coach, you have to be a good x and o guy but more importantly, you need to have a good relationship with your players. That is where I think VDN will excel.

Boylan had 10yrs experience and we know what happened last season. Skiles was a good coach but didnt have good relationship with players. Same thing happened I think with avery.
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
dak121
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig
Thibodeaux slightly became more famous because the celts won a ring. From what I remember, celts didnt allow him to talk to other teams since they were still in the playoffs/finals. If he was available and he is that good, he had plenty of chances to become head coach. dallas, suns, bucks, knicks all had new coaches.

To be a succesful coach, you have to be a good x and o guy but more importantly, you need to have a good relationship with your players. That is where I think VDN will excel.

Boylan had 10yrs experience and we know what happened last season. Skiles was a good coach but didnt have good relationship with players. Same thing happened I think with avery.

1) Bulls should've waited. They had the #1 pick and it was obvious to everyone that Rose was likely to be the pick. Mix that in with Paxson not making any moves in the offseason and all I can think is what was the rush in bringing Del Negro in.

2) So 'relationships' is the only good thing Del Negro brings to the table? If it was just about that then the Bulls should hire Dr. Phil. The problem with the Bulls isn't that they need an understanding voice to nurture them, the problem is that too many players on the Bulls stink.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
Undisputed
Do. Your. Job.

I personally would have rather had Doug Collins than D'Antoni and Thibodeuax as coach.
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

Quote:
1) Bulls should've waited. They had the #1 pick and it was obvious to everyone that Rose was likely to be the pick. Mix that in with Paxson not making any moves in the offseason and all I can think is what was the rush in bringing Del Negro in.

2) So 'relationships' is the only good thing Del Negro brings to the table? If it was just about that then the Bulls should hire Dr. Phil. The problem with the Bulls isn't that they need an understanding voice to nurture them, the problem is that too many players on the Bulls stink.

I think I am going to need to say I agree with Dak again. I know that each one of us want what is best for the Bulls, even though we each might have very different ideas of what is best from time to time.

There was quite a bit of "buzz" from the fans talking about Thibodeaux. I find it difficult to believe that Paxson needed to make a decision so quickly that it could not wait for an interview just to see where things stood with Tom.

I am not really complaining as much as I wondering if the Bulls were as thorough as possible in their coaching selection?

I don't really have anything against Del Negro (at least not at this time) but I think I understand now how he really got the job. Does anyone remember the press-conference that introduced him to fans/media?

One of the key things he said was that each player would start with a clean slate (good for their frame of mind) and that he would have loved to have guys like Thabo and Thomas when he was with the Suns.

That was a nice confidence boost for the players if they were listening but more importantly, it reassured Paxson that his "core" was of high value. Vinny said he was excited to have a player like Tyrus Thomas to work with, which no coach should ever say honestly.

But that commitment to the status quo, meaning the players are fine, it's just that the coaching needs improving might not be the truth for the Bulls. Is it possible that a great team with a winning record and a regular part of the playoffs can have a Tyrus Thomas, or an Aaron Gray? Sure.

But can a truly elite team have Cedric Simmons,(who?) Ben Gordon,(no defense, full of entitlement issues) Arron Gray,(slow, lacks assertiveness for a big-man) Micheal Ruffin, (who?) Tyrus Thomas, (all athleticism nothing else) Joakim Noah,(Needs to get stronger, lacks offense) Thabo Sefalosha,(can't score) and Kirk Hinrich?(streaky shooter that often misses the wide open shots, dribbles too much, and either lacks the confidence or quikness to attack the basket more often.)

I wonder what Vinny will really think of this roster at the end of the season?

Last edited by CelticForce1349 : 11-11-2008 at 08:47 PM.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
dak121
College star

Opponents points scored in the last 10 games. Vinny Del Cheapo is one heckuva defensive coach.

This is what happens when you have jackasses like Reinsdorf/Paxson run things. Neither know a damn thing about the league right now. Thibodeaux would never allow this to happen.

Scary to think that there are at least 5 guys currently unemployed that would be a solid upgrade over Del Cheapo.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:53 PM   #13
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

Del Negro really isn't that cut out for this job. I still want to see what he can do if he had some actual talent. When the best player on the team is a rookie you really don't have any talent. But I really wish Paxson would have tried to go after Jeff Van Gundy.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #14
Rondo

Quote:

Opponents points scored in the last 10 games. Vinny Del Cheapo is one heckuva defensive coach.

This is what happens when you have jackasses like Reinsdorf/Paxson run things. Neither know a damn thing about the league right now. Thibodeaux would never allow this to happen.

Scary to think that there are at least 5 guys currently unemployed that would be a solid upgrade over Del Cheapo.

A. look who at who they have played yeah two of those games that shouldn't have happened at but still. B. our best defensive guard or probably defensive player period is gone for another month or so at least and when he's not playing they dont have a defensive guard at all Rose for all his offensive capabilities doesnt play defense yet gordon hahahahahhahaha hunter's too old but tries his hardest and Sefolosha is a really good defender but doesnt play a lot because he cant do much else and he's a forward. and C. Let's list the players that don't play defense period-Gordon Hunter Deng(he got murdered by Rudy Gay who is good but that never should have happened!) Gooden, Noah, and Rose but he's a rookie so we won't count him . Next is Tyrus Thomas is always looking for highlight reel blocks but generally fouls anyhow. Although he has been stringing together some really good games lately. and Gray is too slow to really make much defense happen so....that leaves us with Hinrich...and Sefolosha two defensive players dont=a good defense ask the Suns of two-four years ago.
So I really doubt that Tom Thibodeaux could have done much with this plus KG anchors that defense and makes everyone else play defense so let's not kid ourselves also remember how long Boston was terrible? their roster was probably as good as ours is right now and they wound up doing nothing so dont go thinking he's all that good
Old 12-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #15
tamaraw08
College star

Quote:

Let me again say that the solution to all this should start with Paxson to close his eyes, reach down and grab his manhood and say, "I put this team together and the players I acquired are really good, it's the coach's fault, so im letting him go, and I will go down there, get my hands dirty and coach this team"!! Take the Isaiah Thomas and Kevin Mchale approach and be a man and take responsibility.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: