Default NBA fans: how do you feel?

As someone that goes outside and plays basketball the notion of humans being emotionally attached to basketball players and making threads about them praising them or hating them on a personal level makes no sense and I would like to learn more about this behavior without judging.

Let me ask you if you are a fan or hate on a player:

how old are you?
    do you play basketball?
    why do you hate/love someone if you don't personally know them?
    Can you really make that judgement without having an intelligent conversation?
    How much sports tabloids do you watch?
    What other types of gossip tabloids are you into?
    Do you bet big money and thats why you would hate/love on a player?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DoctorP; 11-02-2019 at 02:05 AM.

Default Re: NBA fans: how do you feel?

I don't get attached to players any more. When I was a kid of course but I was an innocent little baby. I would root for the player like I knew them and wanted the home team to win. But now I find that strange. I merely enjoy the game and want to see badass basketball.

Sure, it's not fair that they are so rich but I don't hate them for it yet I don't love them either. It's weird. Loving them for being paid an unreal amount of money to play basketball is weird to me. They make too much money for me to believe they suffer in any way due to job performance.

Hollywood actors play characters that I love and I will respect an actor but do I love the actor or hate them in a way where I'm making threads about their performance and hating or loving them in a way a father would do? I don't think so. No. No, I don't. Should I be doing that? Probably not. There's too many movies to be seen. You see a good performance, you soak it in and you move on with respect. No need to stan or hate... What's the point of doing that?

I don't hate LeBron James or Quentin Tarantino or Kevin Hart or Porzingis, whatever. I don't know these people. If we crack jokes it's because they are funny and because we don't know these people. I don't even hate Trump, I just disagree with him I really don't even hate him. What's the point? I don't know him.

To hate someone takes dedication. It's like love. You really have to want to hate them. Your blood boils and you put a nasty face, you can't smile at this person. You think about killing them sometimes... that's hate. Thinking about grabbing their face and putting it in a blender. Cutting their eyes out. Or taking their tongue and hammering a nail into it. I don't think I've hated anyone like that in a while.

Last edited by DoctorP; 11-02-2019 at 02:45 AM.

I'm wracking my brain to even try to remember this dude. I mean, that's a ton of posts. I am pretty sure he came in and out of some threads that we were discussing basketball in...

Someone who puts up the line "I don't even hate Trump" could never be me haha. And if I 'hate' anyone in the basketball sense, it's def LeBron, but I've tried so hard to ease up on that. He just is the antithesis of what I believe bball should be, on so many levels.

It doesn't take dedication to love or hate. The dedication I have to hating Bron is like turning the channel when he's talking about some crap I don't wanna hear. As for love, it's a mindset. If you go in happily and spread it, that's actually really easy. What is hard to do is to KEEP loving when people continue to stomp you out, but if you grow... you will be ok. I think it was Mother Theresa who said on pain and love that you just keep loving until there can be no more pain, only more love. Don't get me wrong, I'm not that in any way, but I love to spread joy. TO ME this dude has big undertones in his post tho. It probably IS an alt.

And since Arby trolled me into coming here I am gonna answer the questions, too, and I challenge Arby to do the same!

I'm "old." All will be revealed, or it won't, and it won't matter haha.
    I do play, but not 5 on 5 much anymore. I've posted many times, but I did get injured at 16 and ruined my athleticism. I kept balling after that, but I kept falling off more and more in terms of drive because it was such a severe limitation. I started doing stuff like playing bball video games to get that 'urge' out. I never stopped loving bball, and I still think it's the most pure sport.
    I do think hate is a strong word, but some people just rub you the wrong way. I was a big Bron fan before he left Cleveland. He just became a clown. He really did build super teams so he could win rings, even though there's almost 0% chance he ends without a ring without doing that. He is like "The Father of Modern Basketball" in the bad sense. Even if you think about college bball and "the transfer portal" it kinda adds the same thing. We actually want consistency in our sports, and we should be allowed that? If a big trade happens, it should shake the world. It shouldn't be like every player of note who isn't on a dynasty level team is requesting a trade every summer.
    And yeah I'm writing it without spacing cuz you asked the questions without spacing, eat it.
    I don't even know what a sports tabloid is haha.
    Dum question, see above.
    NO.

Peace!

Let's go Arby, let's get this thread running. Watch how WE DO.

-Smak

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

The last player I hated with a passion was MJ. I just wanted him to lose. I was wrong but it's true. As I grew older, there were and are players I dislike due to behavior or simply playing style. Even despise them and switch to other games instead. I even dislike teams. Would never tune in for a Celtics-Clippers game for example. But it's not passionate hate. I can still respect some players I dislike. Passionate hate for me died back in 1993. I was 19-20 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak View Post
    I'm wracking my brain to even try to remember this dude. I mean, that's a ton of posts. I am pretty sure he came in and out of some threads that we were discussing basketball in...

Someone who puts up the line "I don't even hate Trump" could never be me haha. And if I 'hate' anyone in the basketball sense, it's def LeBron, but I've tried so hard to ease up on that. He just is the antithesis of what I believe bball should be, on so many levels.

It doesn't take dedication to love or hate. The dedication I have to hating Bron is like turning the channel when he's talking about some crap I don't wanna hear. As for love, it's a mindset. If you go in happily and spread it, that's actually really easy. What is hard to do is to KEEP loving when people continue to stomp you out, but if you grow... you will be ok. I think it was Mother Theresa who said on pain and love that you just keep loving until there can be no more pain, only more love. Don't get me wrong, I'm not that in any way, but I love to spread joy. TO ME this dude has big undertones in his post tho. It probably IS an alt.

And since Arby trolled me into coming here I am gonna answer the questions, too, and I challenge Arby to do the same!

I'm "old." All will be revealed, or it won't, and it won't matter haha.
    I do play, but not 5 on 5 much anymore. I've posted many times, but I did get injured at 16 and ruined my athleticism. I kept balling after that, but I kept falling off more and more in terms of drive because it was such a severe limitation. I started doing stuff like playing bball video games to get that 'urge' out. I never stopped loving bball, and I still think it's the most pure sport.
    I do think hate is a strong word, but some people just rub you the wrong way. I was a big Bron fan before he left Cleveland. He just became a clown. He really did build super teams so he could win rings, even though there's almost 0% chance he ends without a ring without doing that. He is like "The Father of Modern Basketball" in the bad sense. Even if you think about college bball and "the transfer portal" it kinda adds the same thing. We actually want consistency in our sports, and we should be allowed that? If a big trade happens, it should shake the world. It shouldn't be like every player of note who isn't on a dynasty level team is requesting a trade every summer.
    And yeah I'm writing it without spacing cuz you asked the questions without spacing, eat it.
    I don't even know what a sports tabloid is haha.
    Dum question, see above.
    NO.

Peace!

Let's go Arby, let's get this thread running. Watch how WE DO.

-Smak

look, already drew elementally in!

Haha, we got this thread rolling!

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    look, already drew elementally in!

Haha, we got this thread rolling!

I didn't see this post, and I was like wow I was wrong, but you didn't post RIGHT. POST. Let's go. Do you fear authority? Why not have fun. Forums are fun. Life is fun. Enjoy life.

When you get to the point where you can just post whatever you want and it somehow trolls people without you even meaning it, then you have achieved ISH status. You should go for it. You gotta let people's BS roll off. Who cares what these dudes say?

Edit: and shit, now the thread is all shitted up when ele was trying to keep it going. Now you have to post!!! "Cmon man!!"

-Smak

HOW… does it feel?

To treat Bron like you do?

Tell me HOW… does it feel?

TELL ME NOW HOW DOES IT FEEL????

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak View Post
    I didn't see this post, and I was like wow I was wrong, but you didn't post RIGHT. POST. Let's go. Do you fear authority? Why not have fun. Forums are fun. Life is fun. Enjoy life.

When you get to the point where you can just post whatever you want and it somehow trolls people without you even meaning it, then you have achieved ISH status. You should go for it. You gotta let people's BS roll off. Who cares what these dudes say?

Edit: and shit, now the thread is all shitted up when ele was trying to keep it going. Now you have to post!!! "Cmon man!!"

-Smak

I think there are instances where youve seen enough of athetes to gauge their personality and you can definitinely dislike them personally based on reasonable/justified impressions of them.

But hating people in general is something I dont do. Its a waste of energy and its very low energy.

-AW

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    I think there are instances where youve seen enough of athetes to gauge their personality and you can definitinely dislike them personally based on reasonable/justified impressions of them.

But hating people in general is something I dont do. Its a waste of energy and its very low energy.

-AW
    How can it be a waste of energy and low energy?

But yeah, I use hate in the sense like I hate it when people do something or hate Pizza Hut. I say hate more than I should, tbh.

As for how does it feel to hate Bron? I'm not so bothered by his success. I admit to being happy when he got blasted in the Finals in 2011 and 14 (whichever year the Spurs just crapped on them.) After that, I didn't really care about the NBA cuz it got too muddled. Too much star movement. GSW Dynasty was pretty boring after their first win. They were worse than hate... just boring. But, on the same level, them getting scraped (even tho it was by Bron) after winning 73 was pretty funny. Probably one of the greatest fails in NBA history. That's why I laughed when KBlaze was posting Tweets in the Saudi thread. He had Dray in there saying he'd go. It's like yea I bet you would, you bummy, haha.

See, that's the kinda hate I have, I guess? But Bron does give off this 'vibe' off the court, too. I dunno if there has ever been a superstar like him. You can say someone like Kareem sort of has it, but Kareem had an air of dignity. Might have been a false air, but BRON DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THAT. Prol something you acquire in COLLEGE. Aiiiye. See. That's what it's like to be a hater of Bron, haha.

-Smak

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

how old are you?
    do you play basketball?
    used playground , high school, league
    why do you hate/love someone if you don't personally know them?
    every fan has a lov hate relationship with players - it is nature
    Can you really make that judgement without having an intelligent conversation?
    I can easily have that conversation (bring up Tatum , and I can chat a lot about him)
    How much sports tabloids do you watch?
    maybe 15 minutes 3 x a week
    What other types of gossip tabloids are you into?
    golf
    Do you bet big money and thats why you would hate/love on a player?
    never betted on a player or game.

Banned

Used to be a massive Lebron fan.

But then the guy tried to trademark Taco Tuesday. Unforgiveable.