Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Default Re: Greatest and Best Point Guards Ever: Year-by-Year Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Gifted Mind
    Haha possibly. Maybe I'll try a sort of different thread idea to try interactively with ISH. We'll see how it goes. I like to work chronically (So start at 1950), thus I may just be talking to myself for 10-40 years.
    lmfaooo yea

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    I'd say Nash deserves 1st in 08 and 10. Almost unmatched passing and efficiency all time still at that point.
    He did have great seasons in 2008 and 2010, but was he actually a better player? What happened in 2009? Did he magically get worse and then better or did he just have a better season? I don't really buy the argument that 35 year old Nash was getting better/worse as a player as opposed to having a better/worse season. Generally, season have greater variety year to year than your actual skill set.

I did however award Nash with the best season in 2010 and was the PG of the year in my list. Chris Paul was very impressive in 2008, as a poster pointed out Top 2 in MVP voting and was a much superior scorer and defender while at least comparing on the playmaking end.

So after some debate (mostly with myself) I decided I am going to skip out on any cross-year analysis (Like Top 10 PGs of All-Time), and continue on this route and do a similar thread but based on Centers. The reason I am choosing Cs rather than SGs or PFs is because I had already initiated the C project based on popular request. I will admit however I am not very far. Judging based on how long it took me to complete this thread, we are talking most likely a summer 2015 release.

I am still debating if I want to post my results on ISH but I think I most likely will. If anyone has any suggestions or feedback on the format of these projects (eg. whether it's text format, images, or best vs. greatness, anything) please provide it.

PS: As I look closer at each position I must admit some of my initial rankings from the grand best players thread (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=102569) may change. This is good as it means the thread will become better and more accurate.
    Last edited by Gifted Mind; 07-21-2014 at 01:02 AM.

I still plan to at some point start an interactive project (something different, unique, and interesting) with ISH where I go 1 year a time with ISH (Starting from 1950) to fill history in. There are 2 very good ideas in mind and will at some point start a thread on ISH to find out what they are more interested in.

I would love for OP to do the other positions (although SG would provoke some emotions in 2006-2007-2009-2010)

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    I would love for OP to do the other positions (although SG would provoke some emotions in 2006-2007-2009-2010)
    I too want to see the other positions. Are there any threads about it from the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I too want to see the other positions. Are there any threads about it from the OP?
    Nah... He still has the best player / best season / thread of champions / DPOTY threads...

He plans on doing C next as he posts here ^ (summer 2015), but he wasn't sure yet.

The 2015 debate should be interesting. One of the more competitive years at the PG position.
    Last edited by Gifted Mind; 02-23-2015 at 05:31 PM.

How did Magic not have the best season in 1990? He won MVP, led the Lakers to 63 wins and although they lost in the 2nd round he still had a dominant series. I know the Pistons won the championship but Magic still clearly had a more dominant season.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    How did Magic not have the best season in 1990? He won MVP, led the Lakers to 63 wins and although they lost in the 2nd round he still had a dominant series. I know the Pistons won the championship but Magic still clearly had a more dominant season.
    I completely agree with you that Magic had the best season amongst PGs in 1990. Here is what I wrote in my analysis

[QUOTE]Finally, Isiah Thomas is awarded a PG of the Year award. Quite frankly, he did not deserve it over Magic this season. He had a great year, having a fine regular season, leading his team to the championship, and winning Finals MVP. However, Magic Johnson still probably had a better overall season winning MVP and just flat out playing better basketball. But I chose Isiah this year, for the reason often we see MVP going to 1 player over another, he just deserved one by now. Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Gifted Mind
    I completely agree with you that Magic had the best season amongst PGs in 1990. Here is what I wrote in my analysis

So there is really not much disagreement in terms of which player had the better season amongst us. But unlike 'best' player which is more of a hard classification, the best 'season' as I explained is sort of like which PG would have won the "PG of the Year" at the end and is more award based. It's sort of like how Karl Malone or Kobe won MVPs later in their careers, there was sort of a 'he should have one by now' trend going around. The same was the reason Isiah was given the honors this year, he had a good season, a great career, and just won the NBA championship, etc. Not taking anything away from Magic, his season was still spectacular and the best, but I think Isiah would have taken the "PG of the Year" honors with his 2nd ring that season.
    Cool. Didn't realize their was a "best PG" list along with "best season" at first. Good thread, I agree with most of your selections.

Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4... ninephive's Avatar

Chris Paul has been the best point guard in the league 6 out of the past 7 seasons and hasn't made it past the 2nd round with a great supporting cast, 4 years for chemistry to develop with the core of the team (Griffin, Paul, Jordan), and a championship coach? Meanwhile, Parker is not only sweeping him in the playoffs, but getting multiple rounds deeper every season. A Parker-led team (in terms of scoring & assists for the regular season and playoffs) wins championships while a Paul-led team watches on TV. Something's wrong with this picture.

Serious playground baller CP343's Avatar

This is a great break down. Not sure how I didn't see it earlier.

Curry 2015!

Quite a competitive year in the PG department this time around. While it's quite clear which PG had the greatest season, the best PG is more debatable.

Would be open to hearing any opinions before I update