Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What the hell happened to my dog? Help.

The other day my dog slipped outside when someone left the front door open. Normally he is not allowed outside without a leash. When we found him, he was limping, not allowing his front right paw to touch the ground. He also cries in pain anytime he bangs the paw.

I looked at it, and seen the bottom of his paw seems slightly discolored, like a brownish. It would almost seem to be bruised. I also noticed small red marks, as if he stepped on something really sharp. We have these strange plants that grow outside of our house, so I was thinking maybe he stepped on one. (I have touched one before, it sent a shocking pain into my leg that felt like I was being stung by bees)

However, it has been a couple of days and he still won't put pressure on that foot. On top of that, I now noticed that his LEFT front paw has a cracked nail on it. When I touched it my dog let out cries of pain. I have no idea if that happened with the initial accident, or if he incurred that injury from trying to walk on only three legs.

Anyone in the house with an idea of what this may be? I would prefer not to take him to a vet, but if his symptoms do not improve I will. The red marks on his foot now appear to be gone.

Default Re: What the hell happened to my dog? Help.

Your dog is crying in pain and not putting pressure on its foot, and you don't want to take it to the vet? I get that it's not cheap, but come on dude....

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Here is my unlicensed professional opinion: Take him to the vet.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    The other day my dog slipped outside when someone left the front door open. Normally he is not allowed outside without a leash. When we found him, he was limping, not allowing his front right paw to touch the ground. He also cries in pain anytime he bangs the paw.

I looked at it, and seen the bottom of his paw seems slightly discolored, like a brownish. It would almost seem to be bruised. I also noticed small red marks, as if he stepped on something really sharp. We have these strange plants that grow outside of our house, so I was thinking maybe he stepped on one. (I have touched one before, it sent a shocking pain into my leg that felt like I was being stung by bees)

However, it has been a couple of days and he still won't put pressure on that foot. On top of that, I now noticed that his LEFT front paw has a cracked nail on it. When I touched it my dog let out cries of pain. I have no idea if that happened with the initial accident, or if he incurred that injury from trying to walk on only three legs.

Anyone in the house with an idea of what this may be? I would prefer not to take him to a vet, but if his symptoms do not improve I will. The red marks on his foot now appear to be gone.

if it's been a couple of days and you dog is yelping in pain i'd bite the bullet and definitely take him to the vet. It's going to be a couple hundred at least...

F*ck vets. I used to have a great vet who was wonderful with animals and never overcharged or did unnecessary sh*t. He retired. Now i'm bouncing around and these f*cking assh*les charge you so much money and want to do all these different bullshit procedures.

My dog recently jumped off my couch and landed awkwardly and hurt her leg. No swelling, no discoloration, no yelping. She was tender on it for a 2 days but went back to normal. Thank God. I know that would have been X-Rays, pain meds, examination fees, follow up visit, etc.

I know, I am a terrible person for not taking him to the vet immediately. Hey, times is hard. I will take him soon if things do not look up. With that out of the way.. any ideas what it could be are appreciated..

I know, I am a terrible person for not taking him to the vet immediately. Hey, times is hard. I will take him soon if things do not look up. With that out of the way.. any ideas what it could be are appreciated..
    In my city they have these animal clinics that are really cheap you can take your dog to. No appointments. You just take your dog and they do a brief exam and give the required shots. That's it. No bullsh*t.

By the way.. I don't have insurance or take myself to the hospital unless I am really messed up. I love my dog but real life dictates decisions at times. I wish I could just take him to the vet all the time for check ups and everything but it is not possible.

By the way.. I don't have insurance or take myself to the hospital unless I am really messed up. I love my dog but real life dictates decisions at times. I wish I could just take him to the vet all the time for check ups and everything but it is not possible.
    if you cant afford to take your pet to the vet, then maybe you shouldnt be a pet owner?

Soon ...

Dog could be dead soon real talk.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    In my city they have these animal clinics that are really cheap you can take your dog to. No appointments. You just take your dog and they do a brief exam and give the required shots. That's it. No bullsh*t.
    Yeah that would be nice. If I was still living in Virginia I am sure they would have had something like that in Richmond (I was only like 20 minutes from there). But I am in a small ass town in nowheresville now! But maybe a google search will tell me I am lucky and have one nearby.

This cracked nail thing is really strange to me. I didn't notice it before, and it is on the opposite foot. I am just trying to really figure out what the hell could have happened while he was out there. I cannot imagine what it could have been. Maybe he got his foot caught in something, I do not know. I can't imagine what it could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    if you cant afford to take your pet to the vet, then maybe you shouldnt be a pet owner?
    When we got him things were a lot different financially. I wouldn't get a dog right now, but I already have one so that is the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Soon ...

Dog could be dead soon real talk.
    Could you elaborate when you say something that is going to make me feel so worried?

why don't you call some vets up and explain your situation and tell them you don't have much to spend? I'm sure one will be willing to at least take a look.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

I'm gonna go ahead and say research a ****ing vet website instead of insidehoops

Could you elaborate when you say something that is going to make me feel so worried?
    You said dog stepped on something. Dog could posibly be infected.