Default Some rare clips of Pre-Game Dunks from the 1950's, 60's and 70's

Nothing spectacular as of course, sample size is only a few games of HS, to College, to NBA/ABA footage from the 50's-mid 70's lucky to exist on film. But fun nonetheless to see players even that far back enjoyed dunking pre-game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DT42R72xjM

Default Re: Some rare clips of Pre-Game Dunks from the 1950's, 60's and 70's

Weak dunking era

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Weak dunking era
    We'll never know to be honest.

The most entertaining pre-game dunkers in that era as indicated by one of my subscribers for example were:

"Some of the best pre-game dunks I've ever seen were by Wilt, Connie Hawkins, Gus Johnson, Darnel "Dr. Dunk" Hillman, and Billy Cunningham."

Julius Erving also looks pretty entertaining in what few pre-game clips of him exist, and I could add to that list (of in-game dunkers) Elgin Baylor, Johnny Green, Joe Caldwell, Dave Bing, Kareem, Russell, Reed, Bellamy.

Hardly any footage of them exists at all save for Julius and Kareem who played into the 1980's but from what little I've got I'd bet they'd all be making ESPN weekly top tens today.

NBA rookie of the year

Pre-game warmup dunks are illegal in highschool and college link

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax
    Pre game dunks are illegal in highschool and college link
    Yeah I've noticed that for a while now, when did they start this?

wow these people sucked

i like

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

so you post on reddit as well huh.
    Thought you are royal to ISH

Quote Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
    so you post on reddit as well huh.
    Thought you are royal to ISH
    I post and share my content on a wide variety sites. Rest assured though, 95% of my activity is on ISH. Nothing beats the shit talking wild west saloon fight atmosphere of ISH.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Yeah I've noticed that for a while now, when did they start this?
    Likely a ways back. It's certainly been that way since I've come through. I think it was primarily an equipment situation. A lot of high school backboards are still very shatter-able, more so the further back we go in time. I'd presume folks deemed it made little sense to allow kids to get a bevy of free shots at breaking a backboard and inducing a very inconvenient delay.

Of course, there's some workarounds. Sometimes officials do not step into the gym until warmups are underway (in high school anyhow) thus allowing for a few hammers prior.