Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Tesla unveils Model Y

Shit...

China buys 9500 electric buses a month?

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Anyone that doesn't think electric is the future of all types of vehicles is ****ing insane.

The only question is how do we generate enough electricity in an environmentally friendly way... I suspect that revolves around the sun... and also... can we figure out a way to charge batteries faster?

I'm also confident that in the future, even if we don't figure out even faster charging(though we eventually will), what we will have is instead of "gas stations"... are "battery stations" where you stop, pop your battery out and exchange it for one that's full... which would still be faster than filling up a gas tank. That's the worst case scenario, given enough time.

Electric is 100% the future of vehicle energy.

It will be cheaper for numerous reasons.
    It will be better for the environment.
    It won't be causing as much cancer.

It's just better. Period.

While I don't doubt battery is the way to go, we also are starting at a bare minimum. Battery improvements in our smartphones have not improved drastically over the past 15 years and will not. For cars? Maybe the technology is a little more advance and the possibility is higher but I can't see cars lasting 200k miles on electricity. We'll offset longevity for efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Shit...

China buys 9500 electric buses a month?
    Yeah... lol when the Chinese buy into a technology, they go hard. And it makes perfect sense given their major issues with pollution due to their manufacturing plants and coal burning.

This chart is crazy.

12 cities - London, Paris, Los Angeles, Copenhagen, Barcelona, Quito, Vancouver, Mexico City, Milan, Seattle, Auckland, and Cape Town - have committed to buying only electric buses from 2025 on.

In the US, the average bus route is relatively short, so with even a 150 mile range battery, they can run for a significant portion of the day before needing to be charged. That charging can be done organically during breaks or on layovers between routes. Same for school buses that run normal routes. There are still kinks to work out. Buses have significantly diminished range in extreme weather, but that hasn't stopped cities like NYC which has plans to convert it's fleet to all-electric by 2040.

I find it hard to understand why or how anyone could express doubt that public transportation will move to electric when it's actually already happening in certain places and more cities are planning for do so.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    And you know what you would find if you googled it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ers_and_models

or...

http://www.emoss.nl/en/electric-bus/minibus/

or...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-oil-industry

Sometimes Six gets too deep into his argument, loses himself, and starts saying some wild, nonsensical stuff.
    Again, I’m not saying I’m “right”. It’s an opinion about the future.

In order for battery powered engines to be the dominant engine type the way the combustion engine currently is, there would have to be some kind of fast charging technology. It might happen. If of course is possible to output a large jolt of energy instantly, but I don’t know if we’re close to having the battery technology where a rechargeable battery can effectively take in and store one big, short burst of energy.

I think it’s more likely that somebody invents some kind of synthetic liquid fuel. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Maybe the technology is a little more advance and the possibility is higher but I can't see cars lasting 200k miles on electricity. We'll offset longevity for efficiency.
    The technology, and resulting issues that creep up, are still relatively new when trying to figure out what will happen after long-term, real world use, but electric vehicles generally require less maintenance because there are fewer moving parts. There is actually an instance of a Tesla that has gone 300k+ miles. It required some maintenance, but nothing particularly crazy. The impressive this is that it only saw 6% battery degredation after 200k miles.

The technology, and resulting issues that creep up, are still relatively new when trying to figure out what will happen after long-term, real world use, but electric vehicles generally require less maintenance because there are fewer moving parts. There is actually an instance of a Tesla that has gone 300k+ miles. It required some maintenance, but nothing particularly crazy. The impressive this is that it only saw 6% battery degredation after 200k miles.
    Under what weather conditions? What about freezing temperatures?

[QUOTE=NumberSix]Again, I

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Under what weather conditions? What about freezing temperatures?
    There is definitely range loss since the batteries need to be pre-heated during extreme cold, and the obvious use of heaters during trips, but battery degredation long-term should still be minimal, and even the range decrease can be mitigated if the car is plugged in as the batteries warm. I read a blog from a guy in Norway who routinely drove his EV in cold whether and he didn't notice any significant issues apart from the expected range decrease.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    If by ‘destroyed’ you mean, you agree that planes and trucks are not going to go electric, then ok. If agreeing with me on that is ‘destroyed’ then I certainly got destroyed.
    Trucks will go electric sooner or later. Like I said, truckers don't drive 24/7. They need rest too. You need to invest in supercharger infrastructure at rest stops. Yes, it may not happen for several years, but it is bound to happen sooner or later because there is money to be made there.

Truck drivers are legally able to drive only about 11hrs/day by Department of Transportation law. That works out to an average of 600-650 miles a day*

Keep in mind that the law includes required 30 minute break in middle of the day**, which can extend about 250 miles with use of supercharger.

So you need about 400 miles of range on the truck, which is just a couple years away and easily feasible, and supercharger in rest stops for that 30min break, which would require infrastructure investment (but as I said, there is money to be made there). You can easily get the 650 miles out of the truck per each 24hrs.

Next question?

* https://www.ziprecruiter.com/e/How-M...ive-in-one-Day
    ** https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...g-haul-trucker
    Last edited by bladefd; 03-16-2019 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Trucks will go electric sooner or later. Like I said, truckers don't drive 24/7. They need rest too. You need to invest in supercharger infrastructure at rest stops. Yes, it may not happen for several years, but it is bound to happen sooner or later because there is money to be made there.

Truck drivers are legally able to drive only about 11hrs/day by Department of Transportation law. That works out to an average of 600-650 miles a day*

Keep in mind that the law includes required 30 minute break in middle of the day**, which can extend about 250 miles with use of supercharger.

So you need about 400 miles of range on the truck, which is just a couple years away and easily feasible, and supercharger in rest stops for that 30min break, which would require infrastructure investment (but as I said, there is money to be made there). You can easily get the 650 miles out of the truck per each 24hrs.

Next question?

* https://www.ziprecruiter.com/e/How-M...ive-in-one-Day
    ** https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...g-haul-trucker
    Yup, it's really all about infrastructure. Not to mention, the assisted/automated driving features that will be incorporated into many of these electric semis would likely allow for small increases in the amount of time drivers would be allowed to drive. These trucks are generally driving straight in the same lane for hours at a time. Even a one hour bump from 11hrs to 12hrs would allow for significant efficiency gains and cost savings for companies in addition to the savings on fuel costs.

I'll be honest, when I first heard about electic semis years ago, I thought "Meh... maybe, but most likely not. Too many obstacles." But once you really think about the benefits, it makes a great deal of sense, even factoring in the limitations. If thinks go well, maybe we can get a remake of "Breaker, Breaker!" or "Over the Top."

Biggest miss for model y, as mentioned in this thread, is that aesthetically it doesn't differentiate from anything else they've released.

I mean, if I saw a Tesla on the street I honestly wouldn't have the slightest clue how to tell you what any specific model is other than the roadster... other than that, they all look like the same damn car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25
    Biggest miss for model y, as mentioned in this thread, is that aesthetically it doesn't differentiate from anything else they've released.

I mean, if I saw a Tesla on the street I honestly wouldn't have the slightest clue how to tell you what any specific model is other than the roadster... other than that, they all look like the same damn car.
    I think that's a function of some of the aerodynamic choices as well as attempts to maintain some redundancy in the manufacturing process. The Model S, Model 3 and Model X top the lists of electric cars with the best range. The Model Y is likely to fit in between the 3 and the X.

I think that's a function of some of the aerodynamic choices as well as attempts to maintain some redundancy in the manufacturing process. The Model S, Model 3 and Model X top the lists of electric cars with the best range. The Model Y is likely to fit in between the 3 and the X.
    Oh I

Am I the only one that thinks the teslas aren't as appealing visually? They all look the same and honestly has no real shape to it. It's like a blank car with a badge. Idk if that's the style but other than the roadster they all look the same and don't have much going for it visually.