Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Why is Michael Jordan not in Video Games?

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    lol awesome

for some reason this pic makes me happy

National High School Star

Can someone explain this further?.. I still dont understand... even if he signs away his rights, isnt he still ultimately signed under the NBA? ... So cant they use him however they like? In otherwords, anything the NBA sells their name to should have full use of the NBA product.. I cant imagine the NBA selling off contracts that say "You can use any player, team, or product of the NBA except Michael Jordan" Feel me?

Decent playground baller Kjeldar's Avatar

He is no longer a NBA player. if he played, he would appear unless he payed big time cash. in the 90s it was not his call, it was his manager's. when he played with the wizards, it was his to make.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

knowing this makes me love my nba live 01 so much more

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Kjeldar
    He is no longer a NBA player. if he played, he would appear unless he payed big time cash. in the 90s it was not his call, it was his manager's. when he played with the wizards, it was his to make.
    Well, I would like to get a definitive grasp on these rules. I assumed it used to have something to do with his suggested exclusive deal with the "Chaos in the Windy City" people or a refusal to be a part of the NBA players' union. Neither of these claims are substantiated and they're essentially wild guesses but Jordan did not appear in an NBA basketball game between what I want to say was 1992-1999. I did have him in Tecmo NBA Basketball for the NES (around 1991).

After his retirement, I figured Jordan signed an exclusive deal with EA Sports in 2000, which would explain his appearance in a special one-on-one mode that year and maybe the subsequent years (as well as the inclusion of three Jordan likenesses in EA's NBA Street Vol. 2).

Further, once more on a whim, I guessed Jordan joined the players association upon his return with the Washington Wizards in 2001, allowing the full use of his current likeness in other company's games (the NBA 2K series for instance).

Now, upon his final retirement, I believe it is up to each respective gaming company to make an offer to use a players' likeness, as retired players are no longer a part of an all-encompassing NBA union. If this be the case, one would imagine a steep asking price for MJ's likeness. Though I will say, it is relatively ironic to see NBA 2K plastered with MJ apparel logos but no Jordan himself.

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

hahaha...
    If only that was combined with the green valuable stuff

Learning to shoot layups OzGriffin's Avatar

I remember in some of the games the Bulls had a player called P. Guard or something, he was black and bald and wore number 23 and was really good...

Licensing issues......Anyways, jordan was in live when he was playing for the wizards...

If you guys notice one common theme, it's that every game he's been in, including his first game (Chaos in the Windy City), was made by EA.

I think Jordan sold his rights to EA, and there was possibly litigation after MJ blew up and wanted his likeness back (or wanted more money). EA probably won the litigation, and MJ agreed to be in certain games (Street, Live, etc) to fulfill his contract obligations.

Just a theory, but it makes some sense.

Saw a basketball once

Default Single appealing brood and supplementary models

Shit, if Jordan woke up with that in his bank account the next morning he'd probably cry and slit his throat.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Al Thornton
    Because he wants a lot of money to be in games, he was in NBA street Vol. 2, and NBA Live 04? Those are the only ones I can think of.
    totally agree

NBA Superstar

Maybe this thread was the driving factor behind 2K securing Michael Jordan's playing rights for 2K11.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

The only game I have besides 2k11 that has Jordan in it is that old ass Bulls vs Blazers game on super nintendo. :\

They pretty much maxed out his stats in 2k11 though, was hilarious. His overall rating is like 110 or something.