Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Is LeBron's Chase Down Block in Game 7 the Biggest Block in Finals History?

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
    Yes. Given all of the circumstances, I'd say so. GS wins the series if he doesn't block it imo
    I don't know about that. Remember, the block led to another Cavs miss (I believe), followed by another Warriors miss, and then the Cavs advanced the ball and called timeout ... leading to Kyrie's three-pointer, which was a play drawn up in the huddle.

There's a good chance that the same sequence of events could have happened whether the block was made or not, in which case the Cavs would have been up 1 instead of 3. The way the Cavs' half-court defense played in the last four minutes of that game and with how tight GS's offense got, I'm not sure they would have made a shot if you extended the game another minute.

The Cavs were missing shots down the stretch, too, but it was inevitable that either Kyrie or LeBron were going to make a big shot eventually. I could feel it coming, either way.

It's just impossible to reflect ahead like that. In the moment, it felt like a piece of an overriding theme of LeBron just helping to will (along with Kyrie and the overall team defense) that Cavs team to a championship.

It was an amazing play and, yes ... I don't even think it has a contender for biggest "Finals" block in NBA history. I think the bigger question is whether or not it is the biggest block in NBA history, period. Again, I can't think of one that felt bigger.

There was the famous Jordan and Pippen blocks of Charles Smith against the Knicks in the mid-90s. That guy got blocked like 3 times from under the rim as the clock was running out in a game-winning situation (series clinching).

That's the other biggest one(s) that I can think of just off the top of my head.

Default Re: Is LeBron's Chase Down Block in Game 7 the Biggest Block in Finals History?

It was a phenomenal block,no doubt, but if Kyrie missed the three and golden state went on to win it wouldn't be as talked about and celebrated. In the quest to lift lebron up, the shot that broke the tie has been minimized.

Quote Originally Posted by moongaze
    It was a phenomenal block,no doubt, but if Kyrie missed the three and golden state went on to win it wouldn't be as talked about and celebrated. In the quest to lift lebron up, the shot ha bike the tie has been minimized.
    Lol well that's obvious, same could be said for other famous plays in sports history like Tyree's Super Bowl catch, Jordan's walk off in '98 etc. Just look at the catch that Seahawk receiver made in last years Super Bowl, it was right up there with Tyree's, but since they went on to lose, nobody cares about it

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons
    Bill Russel had a similar block, Kblaze mentioned it. From what he said it was better. (More needed)

It was called the "Coleman Play." In game 7 of the 1957 Finals with 39 seconds left he sprinted the full length of the court to execute a chase down block on Hawks forward Jack Coleman. If Coleman had hit that layup the Hawks would have taken the lead 103-102 with 39 seconds to go. The Celtics ended up winning by 2 in double OT.

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    It was called the "Coleman Play." In game 7 of the 1957 Finals with 39 seconds left he sprinted the full length of the court to execute a chase down block on Hawks forward Jack Coleman. If Coleman had hit that layup the Hawks would have taken the lead 103-102 with 39 seconds to go. The Celtics ended up winning by 2 in double OT.
    Thanks for the info.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I don't know about that. Remember, the block led to another Cavs miss (I believe), followed by another Warriors miss, and then the Cavs advanced the ball and called timeout ... leading to Kyrie's three-pointer, which was a play drawn up in the huddle.

There's a good chance that the same sequence of events could have happened whether the block was made or not, in which case the Cavs would have been up 1 instead of 3. The way the Cavs' half-court defense played in the last four minutes of that game and with how tight GS's offense got, I'm not sure they would have made a shot if you extended the game another minute.

The Cavs were missing shots down the stretch, too, but it was inevitable that either Kyrie or LeBron were going to make a big shot eventually. I could feel it coming, either way.

It's just impossible to reflect ahead like that. In the moment, it felt like a piece of an overriding theme of LeBron just helping to will (along with Kyrie and the overall team defense) that Cavs team to a championship.

It was an amazing play and, yes ... I don't even think it has a contender for biggest "Finals" block in NBA history. I think the bigger question is whether or not it is the biggest block in NBA history, period. Again, I can't think of one that felt bigger.

There was the famous Jordan and Pippen blocks of Charles Smith against the Knicks in the mid-90s. That guy got blocked like 3 times from under the rim as the clock was running out in a game-winning situation (series clinching).

That's the other biggest one(s) that I can think of just off the top of my head.
    Tayshaun Prince on Reggie Miller is the other biggest one.

Edit: Also, Hakeem on Starks.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Lol well that's obvious, same could be said for other famous plays in sports history like Tyree's Super Bowl catch, Jordan's walk off in '98 etc. Just look at the catch that Seahawk receiver made in last years Super Bowl, it was right up there with Tyree's, but since they went on to lose, nobody cares about it
    True, but my point is that Kyrie's game winner should be given a little more credit. It's almost like people are acting like the block was the game winner. Even espn has lebrons block , and not Kyrie's shot as an option for best play in the upcoming espys

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Kevin Love on Curry after Irving's made three to put them up? Kind of joking, but it was at least credible. Totally unexpected. During that whole sequence I'm yelling, "NO, NOT LOVE, LOVE IS GOING TO GIVE IT UP!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL4KgZ_oxzo
    never noticed how totally mortified Curry is of driving into the paint with Lebron waiting for him

True, but my point is that Kyrie's game winner should be given a little more credit. It's almost like people are acting like the block was the game winner. Even espn has lebrons block , and not Kyrie's shot as an option for best play in the upcoming espys
    Because the block artistically is the better viewing play. The only way Irving's shot gets the nod over LeBron's block is if it's a buzzer-beater to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
    never noticed how totally mortified Curry is of driving into the paint with Lebron waiting for him
    I noticed when Love was on him there was a split second where Curry could've drove past him if he wanted to, but he decided not to. He obviously wasn't the same player in that series not going to the basket nearly as much. Even after he came back from injury against Portland he was still going to the rim in a lot of cases and finishing, but that didn't happen often against the Cavs. he became timid.

It was a phenomenal block,no doubt, but if Kyrie missed the three and golden state went on to win it wouldn't be as talked about and celebrated. In the quest to lift lebron up, the shot that broke the tie has been minimized.
    Kyrie's overall play in The Finals and the playoffs has been minimized, period, let alone what was the game-winning shot.

If the roles were reversed and Kyrie blocked Curry's shot (which he did at the end of regulation in Game 1 last year) with 1:30 left and LeBron hit the three in Iggy's face, which ultimately ended up being the championship-winning shot, the media probably wouldn't be giving the block any attention.

And, I say that not minimizing the amazing athletic feat that LeBron displayed on that play. It was an amazing block and, like I said, the biggest ever, imo. But, if the roles were reversed, LeBron is still getting 99.99% of the attention.

I think KI deserves more than he's gotten, which is why I've been posting much more about him than LeBron in the last couple weeks. LBJ is getting a lot of attention already (and rightly so, and as expected).

Kyrie's overall play in The Finals and the playoffs has been minimized, period, let alone what was the game-winning shot.

If the roles were reversed and Kyrie blocked Curry's shot (which he did at the end of regulation in Game 1 last year) with 1:30 left and LeBron hit the three in Iggy's face, which ultimately ended up being the championship-winning shot, the media probably wouldn't be giving the block any attention.

And, I say that not minimizing the amazing athletic feat that LeBron displayed on that play. It was an amazing block and, like I said, the biggest ever, imo. But, if the roles were reversed, LeBron is still getting 99.99% of the attention.

I think KI deserves more than he's gotten, which is why I've been posting much more about him than LeBron in the last couple weeks. LBJ is getting a lot of attention already (and rightly so, and as expected).
    No, no. Let Irving be hush, hush so he can be the silent assassin.

theres a whole different level of pressure on Kyrie to hit that shot if down 2, instead of tied. Hell, he probably would think about not even taking a three... hed get crucified for taking it if he would miss, when they only needed a two.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Just the way it is...Does anyone remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yOM4vSoqPs

Imagine if it was MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I noticed when Love was on him there was a split second where Curry could've drove past him if he wanted to, but he decided not to. He obviously wasn't the same player in that series not going to the basket nearly as much. Even after he came back from injury against Portland he was still going to the rim in a lot of cases and finishing, but that didn't happen often against the Cavs. he became timid.
    He was timid because he was having zero success with his dribble-drives. Once you have a certain amount of turnovers and/or devastating blocks, you're going to get timid.

I thought he officially lost any credibility to claim injury as a crutch when he scored a pretty effortless 30+ points in three straight games to help lead the Warriors back against OKC. And, he screamed "I'm back" after one of those threes. All guys get banged up during the course of the season and no one is completely healthy in a Game 7 of the Finals after a grueling season/playoffs.

He needs to take that bit of humility and hold it for a while, because I think the Warriors in general and Curry specifically were getting a little too full of themselves at a certain point ... and that artificial feeling of superiority led to some really sloppy basketball.