Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: College Thread

Default Re: College Thread

Good luck to you Jameer. You are going to have sex with plenty of white and Asian girls.

Quote Originally Posted by returnofmvp3
    I suggest going to a school with a strong COOP program to get hands on work experience.

I am double majoring in cell, molecular, and developmental biology, and artificial intelligence in computer science.Most employers I talk to want to hire people who have real onsite experience.

If you have a good COOP program/grades you can get placement while in school at Amazon, Facebook, etc over the summers.
    Thanks. Will definitely do that. I know my cousin did a lot of work during the summer for civil engineering and the second he graduated he got 3 different job offers in 3 different states. He's make $70k/year plus right now and he just got out of college.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigNBAfan
    aww how cute, defending your black queer friend... i'm sure you're going places too! Dont worry, you'll make plenty of friends and i'm sure you'll get laid plenty of times over your hentai pillow.
    Vectors is jameer

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Good luck to you Jameer. You are going to have sex with plenty of white and Asian girls.
    For some reason, this makes me laugh.

Jameer is an extreme introvert - us extreme introverts don't get the ladies unless if you have the big bucks or cool car. Good luck though regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Vectors is jameer
    No, I'm not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    For some reason, this makes me laugh.

Jameer is an extreme introvert - us extreme introverts don't get the ladies unless if you have the big bucks or cool car. Good luck though regardless.
    Wrong. You extreme introverts don't get the girl because you lack confidence and don't take chances. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Nothing is stopping Jameer from becoming a mac in college. The potential is there.

Stop trying to project and transfer your limiting beliefs on to him.

Do not listen to this guy JamJam. College is your chance to reinvent yourself.

Look to Curry as a prime rolemodel-a man constantly working to achieve perfection and improve.

If some negative influence like bladefc tries to hold you back and tell you you're a loser-ditch them. Anyone who tries to drag you down is not worth spending time with.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 04-17-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Here's a few actual tips.

Just don't get excessively drunk like so many college kids do btw. They often get into so much trouble because at 18 you get treated as an adult by cops. It stays on their record. College is perhaps some of the best times of your life so don't screw it up.

Don't go in thinking you will sleep with every girl. Be smart about it. Of course, I cannot give you more advise as I'm introverted. I'm a stuttering, bumbling idiot around hot girls Just be careful telling girls you watch hentai btw lol. It will freak out many of them - you don't want to come across like the pervy sage from Naruto.

Study hard. You or your family is spending a lot of money (or collecting debt if taking a loan) so don't throw it down the trash, young fellow. Put time aside to finish stuff on time. Every point counts.

College is not like highschool where teachers will go out of their way to help you. You must seek him/out during office hours or find tutor. Otherwise, they don't give a shit. Too many kids get stuck in "Party hard mode", and they end up failing/repeating class. Professor will arrive on exact time, lecture class and be out the door.

What do you plan on studying? Any ideas yet? I started with 5 majors as ideas..
    1. astrophysics - didn't feel like doing up to calculus 3 for engineers, differential calc, multivariable integral calc, differential geometry or some shit I don't even remember now... crossed off list real fast
    2. comp sci - I didn't mind calc 2.. finished calc 1 and signed up for calc 2 then I meet with an adviser. She told me comp sci was 80% programming, I pulled out bc I didn't want to spend my time programming.
    3. That left information technology. Just required calc 1 (pre-calc worked too but I had already taken calc 1 so I was beyond most kids from math side). Not as programming intensive as comp sci so I liked that. It went into networking, security, communication, informatics, hardware, management, IT research, little bit of everything.
    4. communication.. thank god I didn't get to this. I know I would have regretted this
    5. philosophy.. this was more of because I was inspired by the self, debates, thinking.. the nerdy stuff

Make a list of majors the college has and start crossing stuff off. I did that over couple weeks.
    Last edited by bladefd; 04-17-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Banned

Just don't get excessively drunk like so many college kids do btw. They often get into so much trouble because at 18 you get treated as an adult by cops. It stays on their record. College is perhaps some of the best times of your life so don't screw it up.

Don't go in thinking you will sleep with every girl. Be smart about it. Of course, I cannot give you more advise as I'm introverted. I'm a stuttering, bumbling idiot around hot girls Just be careful telling girls you watch hentai btw lol. It will freak out many of them - you don't want to come across like the pervy sage from Naruto.

Study hard. You or your family is spending a lot of money (or collecting debt if taking a loan) so don't throw it down the trash, young fellow. Put time aside to finish stuff on time. Every point counts.

College is not like highschool where teachers will go out of their way to help you. You must seek him/out during office hours or find tutor. Otherwise, they don't give a shit. Too many kids get stuck in "Party hard mode", and they end up failing/repeating class. Professor will arrive on exact time, lecture class and be out the door.

1. astrophysics - didn't feel like doing up to calculus 3 for engineers, differential calc, multivariable integral calc, differential geometry or some shit I don't even remember now... crossed off list real fast
    2. comp sci - I didn't mind calc 2.. finished calc 1 and signed up for calc 2 then I meet with an adviser. She told me comp sci was 80% programming, I pulled out bc I didn't want to spend my time programming.
    3. That left information technology. Just required calc 1 (pre-calc worked too but I had already taken calc 1 so I was beyond most kids from math side). Not as programming intensive as comp sci so I liked that. It went into networking, security, communication, informatics, hardware, management, IT research, little bit of everything.
    4. communication.. thank god I didn't get to this. I know I would have regretted this
    5. philosophy.. this was more of because I was inspired by the self, debates, thinking.. the nerdy stuff

Make a list of majors the college has and start crossing stuff off. I did that over couple weeks.

Jameer-do not allow these limiting beliefs and ideas to hold you back.

Go STEM or go home.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 04-17-2016 at 05:02 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    Yeah so I pretty much decided on where I'm going to college. Any tips? Kinda worried, the place I'm most likely going is only 8% black
    Don't worry it's not 1950 anymore. Large companies love diversity.

Like high school, there was still a group of black people hanging out in the common area all day. With a token white guy. Go study. If you're doing STEM you won't have any time to partake in protests either.
    Last edited by Hawker; 04-17-2016 at 07:31 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Jameer-do not allow these limiting beliefs and ideas to hold you back.

Go STEM or go home.
    And if you do STEM don't do anything specific (like petroleum or ocean or engineering technology or biomedical).

Stick to the basics: Chemical, electrical, mechnical, civil or industrial.

Specify in grad school if you want.

Banned

Not that it will happen anyway, but: Don't touch any white girls except fatties!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus-Sack
    Anyone else completely unsurprised that the most ardent berniecuck on ISH is also a 20-something year old virgin?
    No one is surprised.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Keep an open mind your freshman year. I didn't. I considered transferring at one point but my sophomore and senior year were really fun. Took some cool classes and I met far cooler people from my sophomore year and onwards. Met my best bud a few terms after I decided not to transfer. Philly also had a lot to offer. I still arguably like it as much as NYC even though it's a way smaller city.

You're going to meet fake people during your freshman year.

Try to make a good amount of friends.

Get involved in intramural sports.

Aim for a 3.2+ as a freshman, it helps in the long run. Too many ppl I know spent years after freshman year (some even stayed for an extra term or two after graduation) trying to recover a 2.7 or lower GPA due to partying, not studying, or generally poor time management as a freshman.

Don't give into peer pressure.

Check out frats and see if that's life for you. I know some really chill dudes who were in frats and some girls who were in sororities who ended up doing really well in school and had a ton of fun on the side with greek life. My school, greek life was kind of small. It wasn't huge like other schools nearby. A lot of drama ensured if you were part of Greek Life though.
    Last edited by NBAplayoffs2001; 04-18-2016 at 01:30 AM.

First 3 months: Work very hard. Be on time for every class. Do every assignment with plenty of time to spare. Don't worry about going out, don't worry about making friends.

Many people become lifelong friends with the people they happen to be around Freshman year. If this is destined to happen with you, it will happen on its own; you don't need to force it.

You will either go in focused on social conquests or academic ones. Make them academic. Most of the worthwhile social stuff will happen after you've been there a while. As a freshman you're too green to know the lay of the land. You will only get used and make friends with the wrong people. You'll have to spend your sophomore year getting rid of them.

When your major and your extracurriculars are set, that's where your friends will come from. Wait for those. Start strong academically to get yourself on the right track. Get As or high Bs in your language, core, math/science, etc. classes. Once you're taking stuff you're interested in, you can coast a bit more, and you'll get fairly good grades in those naturally. Freshman year is often designed to weed out the weak and the lazy. Don't be a sucker. Once you conquer that, college is a piece of cake and you're on the fast track.

I've heard the same is true of law school. And... most other things. There is an initial hump and once you overcome it, a whole world opens up, and in that world, things are mostly easy.
    Last edited by Clifton; 04-20-2016 at 06:05 AM.

Are you talking about Communications Engineering?