Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Larry Bird on FA: "I couldn't imagine going to the Lakers and playing w/ Magic Johnso

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/09/...magic-johnson/

[quote]Larry Bird on free agency:

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Default Re: Larry Bird on FA: "I couldn't imagine going to the Lakers and playing w/ Magic Johnso

From what I read, I could imagine Bird going to Indiana. He has love for it. Not to the Lakers. He doesn't seem like that type of dude. He was pretty crazy on beating Magic and the Lakers.

Plus he was in a great situation with the Celts. Had a bunch of HOFs in his team. But there's a lot of ifs too. Like if Len Bias didn't die, how good would they be in 87? Celts dealing with injuries in 87, but they still produced. Bird's back. Bird's finger when coming out of college.

And it's not like KD going to join with LeBron. I figure that's the main rivalry. I would imagine it would be like...Bird joining Dr. J or vice versa after one of them just beat each other from a 7 game series. That would sting.

Default Re: Larry Bird on FA: "I couldn't imagine going to the Lakers and playing w/ Magic Johnso

alpha

What he's saying is can't imagine being such a bitch that he'd bend over and run to the team that just beat his team to make the finals. Durant was probably partying with golden state players after his team lost three straight.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan
    I think Bird and the other stars in the league always wanted to be the big dog on whatever team they played on. If these types of moves had been made back then - I think the same criticisms would have been made that are being made today. I think there is so much focus on how many rings a player gets or has, that people are too quick to judge a players talents by the results his team has accomplished, and in the process over rate some players and unfairly miss the talents a great player can have by dismissing his skills with but he only has (fill in the blank) rings.

I bet his imagination would be different if he played his whole career with the Bucks, and never won anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I bet his imagination would be different if he played his whole career with the Bucks, and never won anything.
    The Bucks would be in the Finals with Bird averaging 35/10/10

ok bird play with russell westbrook all your career you change your tune lol

I usually hit open layups

Yeah well this goes without saying. Larry Bird isn't some cuck beta like Durant is he?

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason

Bird would win a ring easily if he had Westbrook. And he would have guranteed won with Harden/Westbrook/Ibaka. Durant had luxury all his career to play for stacked team, not Kobe not Lebron not Bird not Melo not Iverson not Anyone in history of this game has had the luxury Durant had. Every year of his career on a stacked team.

I could never imagine myself going and joining another team with great players because I had great players and I was in a great situation.
    Bird inadvertently highlighting the fundamental difference between LeBron's justifiable move and Durant's cowardly tagalong move.

Quote Originally Posted by ScalsFan21
    Bird inadvertently highlighting the fundamental difference between LeBron's justifiable move and Durant's cowardly tagalong move.
    Durant had 2 HOF teammates in Harden and Westbrook

+ very good role players like Ibaka, Reggie Jackson, Adams

Quote Originally Posted by StephHamann
    Durant had 2 HOF teammates in Harden and Westbrook

+ very good role players like Ibaka, Reggie Jackson, Adams

Yeah that's what I mean. Most insulting FA decision to competition that's ever been made, joining GSW. Still surprised he did it.

Bird played on a team with 4 other Hall of Famers with a great front office in a league with only 2 team that had viable championship aspirations and only won 3 rings.

I love Larry Legend and his career was obviously detracted by injuries but he should stfu in this situation.

But Yes Durant had great teammates in his tenure in OKC but something always came up. 2012 and last year was their best shot to be honest. Other years were cut short by injury and penny pinching. Also no one was beating the 2012 Heat.

Of course he couldn't imagine it. Aside from free agency not existing there also was no precedent. The Celtics and Lebron showed the league that you should join/form stronger teams if you don't want to go the Barkley route. Also Bird winning in his 2nd season surely had something to do with it.