Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 18

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    you have time to bang women in between your fifty thousand posts?
    Yes I do. Benching 185 2-3 sets of 10 at age 16-17 without ever lifting in your life is HARDER to do as opposed to getting ass and having a high post count on a messageboard. Thats a FACT.

Gobb:

I'm not white. I'm not overweight nor out of shape. I've always been in great condition because I played sports growing up. Baseball, soccer, basketball...never played organized football but played it around the neighborhood. I was a lifeguard for the city and I loved to swim so i was also on a swim team for this private pool in my neighborhood. I wasnt interested in pursuing it much but the point remains i was always swimming in the summertime. I used to box and trained at 3 gyms. Joe Fraziers, Champs (where Bernard Hopkins used to go daily) and Augies in South Philly where i stayed. Nope not a word class athlete, Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson if you think that is what is being implied here. You know usually people like you tend to read what is typed, and to save face exagerrate what was posted. So i figure i save you the time typing out "Wow GOBB was Mr All America. Yet no one here ever saw you online ranked as a top athlete har har har. What else did you do? Let me guess, black belt in Tae Kwon Do har har har".

Majority here know what I look like. So atleast attempt to grab a photo that hasnt been recycled before and used to diss Howard5Dirk41. You think a bit of originality could enter your life someday?

I love it when a self admitted weakling("185 is Haaaaaaard to bench, jeez.") takes his smack talk to the "you bang fat chicks, I bang hot women" level. LOL, your greatest celebrity is the amount of posts you havehere, is that what scores hot chicks for a playa like you?
    1. Where did i admit i was a weakling? I said when i started lifting weights before during my active years playing sports or other recreations I've never lifted before...I found it difficult. At LOKI's age I couldnt throw 185...probably could get it up and it would slam down on my chest. In general anyone who has never lifted weights before in thier life would find lifting 185 difficult because its not a standard weight to bench. Thats another FACT. You see how I type facts and you type FABLES? Hello Aesop.

Someone here has a username on bodybuilding.com. Ask them to create a topic and say what is the standard weight a person can bench without ever having lifted a weight before in thier life. Then proceed to ask would 185 be too much for someone who never lifted before. I would like for that poster to do that for me. Then post the replies back here so your dumbass can resemble a gigantic ass on a fat bytch.

2. When i posted my reply in here where did i brag about boning hot woman? Let me guess your insecurity levels are going up and down perhaps? My comment was in reference to you acting like MIGHTY MOUSE in here when it comes to bench pressing. Hence why you can have the big woman as you get off pinning thier heavy sets of legs to thier chest while beating up the ***** that resembles a body bag in a boxing gym. Go for it, manhandle the beasts in bed. Do your thing playa, big brawds need love too.

3. What gets me females is my good looks, my charm, my sense of humor, being a gentleman. It is what it is. Got them when i was a "weakling" and i get them now when I'm physically fit.

"Watch me post baybee, see the skills, perfect placement of the emoticon, deft timing on the picture upload. I am THE living legend on ISH woman! you heard of that girl? I own basketball fanatical fifteen year olds all over the globe, international playa baybee! damn beyotch! I rock, bring your fine ass over here and gimme some head. Watch the keyboard beyotch! Damn woman cant you see Imma bout to Pwn some punk kid. Recognize"
    Damn you owned me there. What can I say to that? That is exactly how I get females. Put it like this...if i sent females in your family, friends my photos and they were asked to post thier thoughts without you flooding thier head with shyt like "Here is some guy on a bball msgboard who calls himself god of basketball. Would you give him the time of day? He swears he is a playa" I gurantee I'd recieve positive compliments from them. But knowing you, you would set it up where you paint this picture of nonsense, throw out negativity then proceed to ask what they thought. For fear of what you know they might say... "He is a handsome guy. He's really cute". Thats exactly what they would say you f*cking idiot. Is that bragging? No thats keeping it real. And again as you usually do...you'll exagerrate this point and pretend that means I'm gonna pipe (that means bone ie have sex) with them all. Because your mind operates that way.

then again Gobbles, maybe pointing out someone's lack of strength really hits home with you so you instinctively lash out, as flashbacks to your high school days (Lord knows you didn't go to college) getting picked on by the jocks comes racing back into your head. The kind of memories that turned you into this meanspirited cantankerous internet bully in the first place.
    I went to George Washington Carver Eingineering and Science (same school Lynn Greer former Temple Owl/Euros/Milw Bucks and Will Chavis who played for Texas Tech under Bobby Knight). I graduated and went to Temple University. Would you like me to scan my college ID that I still have? I'll take a cam phone photo of it...its blurry and the id could use a cleaning...

Lord knows I didnt go to college tho. Well right? Never got picked on...wasnt the most popular nor the geek/nerds. In between, who always flexed his sense of humor when someone tried to clown a person who couldnt defend themselves. Or just having fun at lunch, going home...was always known to say funny shyt.

And no pointing out someones lack of strength doesnt hit home. But for someone to claim a 19yr old kid who cant bench 185 is pathetic when you have NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE to if Durant ever lifted a weight before is hilarious. Do you have any info do what Durant was doing in Texas via their weight program? Are you an athletic trainer? Was you there so you can give the board an idea what Durant was or wasnt doing? No.

Then again i guess this is one of those things where casual fans get off, enjoy that they are able to do something that a talented sports figure cant. Here is your chance JtotheIzzo, this is the only time in life you will be able to say "I can do this and Durant cant". Lets check the care factor tho. *checks*

Currently at zero.
    Last edited by GOBB; 06-08-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Go Spurs Go

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 18

that chick is off the chain.

and gobb that i.d. looks like its from the 80s.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    Oden didn't easily get position on anyone all year. I doubt its due to weakness more to the fact he's a meek person by nature and doesn't establish a wide base.

He also "only" weights 257.

The brace is irrelevant. The kid was medically clear and has had full range of motion since Jan.

Do I think Oden could have benched 185? Sure. However, am I not willing to join the dogpile bashing Kevin Durant when Greg Oden skipped it entirely.
    If the brace was irrelevant then he wouldn't have worn it. That's not a fashion statement. My fault on the weight(though 257 still makes him a big player) but players don't wear things like that for no reason. And he was doing whatever he wanted offensively whenever he got the ball, being stronger than anyone he faced. I guess you saw things differently, but he was doing as he pleased vs. the Gators and in most other games.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    If the brace was irrelevant then he wouldn't have worn it. That's not a fashion statement. My fault on the weight(though 257 still makes him a big player) but players don't wear things like that for no reason. And he was doing whatever he wanted offensively whenever he got the ball, being stronger than anyone he faced. I guess you saw things differently, but he was doing as he pleased vs. the Gators and in most other games.
    Might or might not be a fashion statement but could also be a security blanket/good luck charm. Think about it, Rip Hamilton still wears the face mask.

You bring up Oden doing whatever he wanted but its not the point.

Durant also did whatever he wanted yet people are still killing him over the bench numbers. How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    Might or might not be a fashion statement but could also be a security blanket/good luck charm. Think about it, Rip Hamilton still wears the face mask.

You bring up Oden doing whatever he wanted but its not the point.

Durant also did whatever he wanted yet people are still killing him over the bench numbers. How does that work?
    Every single time they discussed that brace they said that it was to be sure he didn't re-injure himself. And the next time Rip Hamilton hurts his nose his career could be over, he has no cartilage there and has undergone three different surgeries on it. He doesn't just wear the thing for fun. Neither of them do.

I bring up Oden doing whatever he wanted because he did, in fact, get good position whenever he was of a mind to. I don't mention it in any kind of connection with Durant, I mention it to point out that he's obviously got more than enough strength for the NBA. Which is the only part of your argument I'm discussing, as I'm not one of the people arguing that Durant's bench press is a problem. He'll need to get stronger to play PF but his strength is fine for a perimeter player.

I rule the local playground

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 185

Whoa haven't read this in a couple days.......I missed this one

When I was 16-17 or so, I went with my friend in the morning's to the local gym. I was around 180 pounds at the time (I'm 6'1") and had never lifted a weight in my life, nor done much manual labor of any sort. I had no problem doing 2-3 sets of 10 reps at 185 pounds.

I mean, I agree with you that everyone's different, but it's still pretty surprising that a guy who's in such great shape wouldn't be able to do it, since you'd think that he would have done other sorts of similar strength-building exercises over the years (push-ups, resistance training etc.) just by virtue of being active. I mean, not being able to do a set I can understand, but one rep?
    I'm gonna just jump on the bandwagon just because....

You are absolutely lying, and I don't care what your body shape is, unless you're Michael Clarke Duncan in Green Mile. And even still. You can say "it's not that impressive, I'm just naturally built broad" as much as you want, you still didn't do this.

If you're 6'1 180 bench pressing 185 10 times for 2-3 sets, with not a lick of former training.....you are Hercules. No bullsh*t. Because that defies pretty much everyone I've ever seen lifting weights. If you bench 185 10 times, 2-3 sets, that means you could bench press around 270 pounds. At 6'1 180 pounds, just getting on the bench for the first time. That's not rare, that's just not happening.

Getting the form of bench press down takes time for EVERYBODY, universally, that's why people make rapid gains so quickly -- not so much they're getting that much stronger. Herschel Walker, who built himself up to be a diesel, said he could only get up 135 (as he put it "one plate on each side") one time because his right side was stronger than his left side and it threw him off. I've seen firsthand that most HS offensive linemen don't lift close to what you supposedly did in their first go rounds.

I rule the local playground

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 185

Getting back on track, like someone said before, how many times does a higher bench press # actually make or break a play??? When you're backing down/getting backed down, that's almost all legs. Jump shot?? Maybe, but clearly he's fine in that area. Mixing it up inside for boards? Somewhat, but if he avg. 11 a game in college, he was able to compensate, probably with his huge wingspan.

It will help him absorb contact and help him keep control of the ball against extremely strong/physical defenders who are somehow also able to bother his shot. But there won't be too many in the NBA who can do that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dgbigballer9329
    Getting back on track, like someone said before, how many times does a higher bench press # actually make or break a play??? When you're backing down/getting backed down, that's almost all legs. Jump shot?? Maybe, but clearly he's fine in that area. Mixing it up inside for boards? Somewhat, but if he avg. 11 a game in college, he was able to compensate, probably with his huge wingspan.
    To rebound, quickness off the ground and pure hustle are more important than strength. Looking at the NBA's to 10 rebounders:

Kevin Garnett , MIN
    Tyson Chandler , NOK
    Dwight Howard , ORL
    Carlos Boozer , UTA
    Marcus Camby , DEN
    Emeka Okafor , CHA
    Al Jefferson , BOS
    Chris Bosh , TOR
    Ben Wallace , CHI
    Tim Duncan , SAS

There are four guys that started out their careers as weaker players (Garnett, Chandler, Camby, and Bosh) and of that group only Boozer, Okafor, and Wallace are getting a significant edge from muscle. Maybe Duncan as well (but it's more lower-body muscle than upper in all of their cases and especially Duncan's). Chandler and Bosh are still low on upper-body strength. If Durant can just work himself up to a toned 225 he should be a good rebounder.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    To rebound, quickness off the ground and pure hustle are more important than strength. Looking at the NBA's to 10 rebounders:

Kevin Garnett , MIN
    Tyson Chandler , NOK
    Dwight Howard , ORL
    Carlos Boozer , UTA
    Marcus Camby , DEN
    Emeka Okafor , CHA
    Al Jefferson , BOS
    Chris Bosh , TOR
    Ben Wallace , CHI
    Tim Duncan , SAS

There are four guys that started out their careers as weaker players (Garnett, Chandler, Camby, and Bosh) and of that group only Boozer, Okafor, and Wallace are getting a significant edge from muscle. Maybe Duncan as well (but it's more lower-body muscle than upper in all of their cases and especially Duncan's). Chandler and Bosh are still low on upper-body strength. If Durant can just work himself up to a toned 225 he should be a good rebounder.
    Bosh is also 7' with shoes and depending on sources anywhere from 20-40 pounds heavier.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dgbigballer9329
    Whoa haven't read this in a couple days.......I missed this one

I'm gonna just jump on the bandwagon just because....

You are absolutely lying, and I don't care what your body shape is, unless you're Michael Clarke Duncan in Green Mile. And even still. You can say "it's not that impressive, I'm just naturally built broad" as much as you want, you still didn't do this.

If you're 6'1 180 bench pressing 185 10 times for 2-3 sets, with not a lick of former training.....you are Hercules. No bullsh*t. Because that defies pretty much everyone I've ever seen lifting weights. If you bench 185 10 times, 2-3 sets, that means you could bench press around 270 pounds. At 6'1 180 pounds, just getting on the bench for the first time. That's not rare, that's just not happening.

Getting the form of bench press down takes time for EVERYBODY, universally, that's why people make rapid gains so quickly -- not so much they're getting that much stronger. Herschel Walker, who built himself up to be a diesel, said he could only get up 135 (as he put it "one plate on each side") one time because his right side was stronger than his left side and it threw him off. I've seen firsthand that most HS offensive linemen don't lift close to what you supposedly did in their first go rounds.
    Okay...

Would you be less incredulous if it was 180 pounds for 2 or 3 sets of 8 reps? Like I said, I've never mentioned this to anyone because I never realized it was that big of a deal. I do know that it was no less than 180 pounds and no fewer than 8 reps for 2 or 3 sets, because my friend and I knew that a "set" was 8-12 reps even then. So would, say, 2 sets of 8 reps of 180 be similarly improbable? I'm just curious, because like I said, I had no idea at the time that this was some sort of feat of strength. I know for certain that that's the bare minimum of what I did (2 x 8 reps @ 180), but I'm pretty sure I did 3 sets. Maybe not, though. You guys have started to make me question myself. When I get home tonight I'm gonna call my best friend and see if he remembers.

Quote Originally Posted by hippos
    Bosh is also 7' with shoes and depending on sources anywhere from 20-40 pounds heavier.
    According to nba.com he's 6'10 230. Durant is 6'10 and 215. That's 15 pounds, no inches. Plus Durant has that ridiculous wingspan. I think Bosh might have a more explosive leap, but overall there's no reason why Durant can't equal or surpass Bosh's physique.

Local High School Star JohnnyBravo5's Avatar

The real point is this. If you are some ham and egger from the And 1 tour and you can't bench 185 then that's understandable.

But if you are Durant who has played years of organized H.S., AAU ball and you attended one of the best athletic universities in the world and you can't bench 185, how is that possible? WTF was the UofT strength coach doing. What were they doing in practice all day, one of those "skip across the court with high knees" exercises?

Bosh is atleast 240. nba.com weight lists NEVER change. By this time next year Bosh will more than likely still be listed at the same weight. When Bosh has played on national tv or the Sixers...its always mentioned he bulked up and is between 240-245.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo5
    The real point is this. If you are some ham and egger from the And 1 tour and you can't bench 185 then that's understandable.

But if you are Durant who has played years of organized H.S., AAU ball and you attended one of the best athletic universities in the world and you can't bench 185, how is that possible? WTF was the UofT strength coach doing. What were they doing in practice all day, one of those "skip across the court with high knees" exercises?
    Playing basketball, for the nth time, is not weight lifting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Bosh is atleast 240. nba.com weight lists NEVER change. By this time next year Bosh will more than likely still be listed at the same weight. When Bosh has played on national tv or the Sixers...its always mentioned he bulked up and is between 240-245.
    word. nba.com is not the place to go for hard facts. OJ would be proud.