Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default How old were you when you first dunked?

18 years old...senior in high school. Was probably 6'1", 160lbs soaking wet at the time. Used to dream about dunking since I started playing basketball. One day, during practice, we were doing layup drills and, for some reason, I felt "different". Decided to go for it and did a basic two hand dunk off two feet. No Sprite commercial.

At my utmost peak, at about 6'2", I probably had a vert of 34 inches and could reach a height of 10' 11" (had one of those vert measuring things at a college I went to). Had some nice posters in my day. These days, I can barely touch the rim, but definitely some fond memories.

Banned

Default Re: How old were you when you first dunked?

15 or 16

haven't been able to do it since i was 23 or 24 though

Dunking on everybody in the park

13 years old...8th grader in middle school. Was probably 5'2", 130lbs soaking wet at the time. Used to think about dunking since I started playing basketball. One day, before a game, we were doing layup drills and, for some reason, I felt "different". Decided to go for it and did a basic 360-dunk off two feet. No Sprite commercial.

At my utmost peak, at about 7'5", I probably had a vert of 44 inches and could reach a height of 13' 11" (had one of those vert measuring things at a Curves I go to). Had some nice posters in my day. These days, I can barely find my balls, but definitely some fond memories.

Banned

At my peak I could touch the back board. About as good as it got for me lol.

14 years old, 6'4. Basic one hand dunk.

Dunked on 10' for the first time the summer before I started high school, so I was 13/14 (bday in July).

On a 10' rim? Around 6 years old.

NBA Superstar

I know my story doesn't bode well because there's already been at least one other young dunker story so far and that's usually enough to bring out the folks who sarcastically talk about how everyone on this board must be NBA prospects with our outlandish stories and whatnot, but...

My first dunk came in the fall of the freshman year of high school. I was about 5'11'' and 14 years old. It came at an open gym where a freshmen classmate of mine was trying to dunk in front of the varsity players. He was more or less doing the thing where he'd jump then lose all control of the ball, throwing it off the backboard as he grabbed the rim, creating the illusion that he was "so" close to dunking. I was jealous of the attention he was getting though, so I laced up my shoes (I'd just arrived) and went over to give it a shot myself.

I can't remember if I did it on my first or second try, but it was a moment permanently imprinted upon my brain. I think the adrenaline boost from having so many onlookers is what put me over the top. It was a one handed dunk coming from the left wing. After a flushed, everyone freaked out and a 6'7'' senior grabbed me and excitedly yelled to his coach about how I'd just dunked, but the coach just figured he was joking and walked away laughing. I remember people were giving me high fives all throughout the open gym and the next day at school all sorts of non-basketball playing friends were coming up and asking if the rumors were true about me dunking. It was pretty legit moment for me at the time.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-19-2012 at 09:02 PM.

**** you guys, full grown man here and I was never tall enough to dunk.

Banned

I'm 33. Still working on it. I need another 15 inches on my vert to dunk it.

Learning to shoot layups NYK_Stan's Avatar

17, 5'11 in shoes and 135lbs and I still haven't dunked.

Kinda weird since I'm really fast and have good explosion on the ground. I just have problems jumping and tiny arms lol (touched rim once tho... felt nice )

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Never even close

Quote Originally Posted by NYK_Stan
    17, 5'11 in shoes and 135lbs and I still haven't dunked.

Kinda weird since I'm really fast and have good explosion on the ground. I just have problems jumping and tiny arms lol (touched rim once tho... felt nice )
    At 5'9 its pretty normal to have never dunked.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    At my peak I could touch the back board. About as good as it got for me lol.

this

16 and I only managed to do it once because I couldn't palm the ball unless the grip was super, super tacky.

Edit: I'm 5'10" Tons of leg and calf workouts from playing baseball year round and being about 50 lbs lighter helped pull off my only dunk.