Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default How did Birdman slip through the cracks??

Okay so while Karl stupidly had this guy rotting on the bench the last couple years multiple times I've thought to myself... that he should get playing time. A guy like that who's entire game is based on energy as a garbage, hustle player isn't going to go from a beast to a scrub that quickly.

So he rots the last 2 or 3 years on the bench... shockingly nobody but Miami wants him and calls him up while he's sitting at home on the couch and low and behold he's been a fantastic addition to the defending champs.

1. Why did George Karl let him rot when he still had game? Yes I know the criminal accusations ruined his rep a bit but he could still play. Yes I know about his knee injury/surgery as well.

2. Why did no other teams pursue him outside of the Heat?

3. Why do you think he's thriving now?

Great read on Bird from ESPN today.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/mia...light-in-miami
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 02-06-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Default Re: How did Birdman slip through the cracks??

1) I think Karl's system wasn't right for him. They needed a big who can score and play some D (McGee somewhat, he's no scorer but he can dunk anything)

2) Combination of no cap space and his reputation, similar to K-Mart but worse. I have no idea why the Lakers didn't pursue him, with Jordan Hill down and the L granting us $1.78m to replace him.

3) The Heat have no bigs who can defend well, so he is exactly what they need. He doesn't care about scoring or even being involved on offense so Wade, LeBron and Bosh can have the ball as much as they want while saving a bit of energy knowing the Bird is there to help on D

Karl was trying to develop his young bigs. Andersen had reached his ceiling two seasons prior. With the (young) depth that we had, he decided to focus on them.

BTW: I'm not a huge Karl fan.. I do love Bird though
    *****give me a minute i'll find the article about Karl where he said it wasn't fair to bird

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/...andersen/6620/

"It’s difficult for Bird not playing. It’s just real difficult. Bird, I’ve said before, he’s been dealt a bad hand by me, for a guy who’s played great basketball for me and the Nuggets to have kind of been fazed out because of the youth movement in the middle of the season is not always fair. I think Bird could play for many basketball teams.”

1. Why did George Karl let him rot when he still had game? Yes I know the criminal accusations ruined his rep a bit but he could still play. Yes I know about his knee injury/surgery as well.

see above post.. Him not playing meaningful minutes was prior to the investigation.

2. Why did no other teams pursue him outside of the Heat?

It was probably seen as a bad PR move. With all the negative press surrounding him, I doubt teams wanted to bring that into the locker room.. Although He did no wrong, and his name was never cleared, dude got a really bad wrap.

He also had microscopic knee surgery right after he was released from Denver. There was rehab time that had not been mentioned in many articles.

3. Why do you think he's thriving now?

Because he still has a motor and something to prove. Bird was wrapped up in this extortion plot for god knows how long.. I'm sure this effected him long before news broke of any allegations.

I had a chance to meet Birdman in person. I can honestly say he was one of the nicest people I have ever met. I wish him well , and hope he continues to thrive with Miami.
    Last edited by Blingster; 02-06-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blingster
    Karl was trying to develop his young bigs. Andersen had reached his ceiling two seasons prior. With the (young) depth that we had, he decided to focus on them.

BTW: I'm not a huge Karl fan.. I do love Bird though
    *****give me a minute i'll find the article about Karl where he said it wasn't fair to bird
    It IS unfair. Birdman was a staple of Nuggets basketball in the Melo era and a HUGE part of that team. So for him to be benched for a couple years for the development of younger players? He should have been traded a couple years ago and handled with a bit more respect from Karl IMO.

I'd love to see the article though.

My impression was that his sexual-assault case was making team scared of him. Business people are extremely scared of hiring high profiled people with cases like that.

The case is closed and Birdman is not guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdiggler41
    My impression was that his sexual-assault case was making team scared of him. Business people are extremely scared of hiring high profiled people with cases like that.

The case is closed and Birdman is not guilty.

I'm 95% positive it was because of the sexual assault case.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    It IS unfair. Birdman was a staple of Nuggets basketball in the Melo era and a HUGE part of that team. So for him to be benched for a couple years for the development of younger players? He should have been traded a couple years ago and handled with a bit more respect from Karl IMO.

I'd love to see the article though.

Link added to my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    I'm 95% positive it was because of the sexual assault case.
    Which is even more wrong. Zero loyalty from the Nuggets front office if a guy is acquitted and that's why you bench him long term. Dude was a big part of the Nuggets the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Blingster
    Link added to my previous post.
    Thanks.

BTW just watched some highlights/interviews since he's been in Miami and they are truly a perfect fit. Crowd gave him a crazy standing ovation when he checked in as a Heat player for the first time and you had Wade and Lebron going crazy for him cheering him in.

In the interview he was told he was a fan favorite in Denver and said "Really? I was?". As if he could tell they turned their back on him. Good to see Miami embrace him so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Which is even more wrong. Zero loyalty from the Nuggets front office if a guy is acquitted and that's why you bench him long term. Dude was a big part of the Nuggets the last decade.
    We never know what happens behind scene. For all we know, the staff could be supporting Birdman in his case, but its nothing that they want to make a commercial on. I could picture it though.
    "NBA CARES TO MUCH: Hi! Im Chris Andersen. I just want to thank the NBA for supporting with all this money for a great lawyer. Without the NBA I would not be able to hump, bump and dump all the little NBA fans all over the world".

I like Birdman and he is innocent.

Decent college freshman Mr. Incredible's Avatar

Glad he's with the Heat. He just needs to get in better shape.

He's not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    He's not that good.
    Never was "that good". Thing is he's a very capable backup center and a perfect fit for a lot of teams. He's good enough to where he shouldn't have been sitting on his couch eating fried rice only to get ONE call almost two months into the season from ONE team.

Good acquisition by the heat.