Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Default Thiannis lack of development is why the DLeague staff was let go

Default Re: Thiannis lack of development is why the DLeague staff was let go

Based on a Marc Berman tweet? No, this wouldn't be called "reaching"..

Wait so a guy in his mid twenties who every team in the nba passed on is supposed to be the main focus of a coaching job? What could anyone possible expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    Wait so a guy in his mid twenties who every team in the nba passed on is supposed to be the main focus of a coaching job? What could anyone possible expect ?
    I really hope that this is an exaggeration because if it's even remotely true is shows how poorly managed this franchise really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    I really hope that this is an exaggeration because if it's even remotely true is shows how poorly managed this franchise really is.
    This post exposes you as one of those "nervous Nancy" fans that jumps on everything negative like hot shit. You taking a Berman tweet and blowing it up like this is out of control.

In all honesty, are you even a Knick fan? What exactly would YOU do if you had the team to run, seeing as we have one of the smartest men in basketball making decisions and you're totally against everything. Illuminate us, will you?

...otherwise, pipe down already. Some of us actually feel good about going into the next season.

For starters I'd fire Derek Fisher and get someone that actually wanted to coach.

Second, that new coach would install an offense that utilizes lots of motion and spaced ball screen actions. The franchise's two most promising prospect are both ball screen players. It can be the ball screen motion stuff run by Bill Self/Billy Donovan or be like Tony Bennett's Modified Blocker Mover offense.

Third, I'd hire Brad Soucie from Liberty to run the DLeague club. Yes, it's a bit of nepotism on my part but he's one of the best development guys at the college level and is well versed in Bennett's offense. So my call-ups would have a grasp of my offense.

Fourth, I'd make a run at Allan Stein as the team trainer. Again, a bit of nepotism but the guy is phenomenal at getting guys prepared physically.

From there all I can do is hope to be competitive. This team as currently assembled is not especially good, but we have a top 5 SF in Carmelo Anthony. The hope is the coaching staff can make this team look strong enough to entice a top positional player to come here. Another top 5 guy won't be easy to land but maybe we can land another top 10 and have Kristaps Porzingis develop into a top 10 guy at the PF spot.

For starters I'd fire Derek Fisher and get someone that actually wanted to coach.

Second, that new coach would install an offense that utilizes lots of motion and spaced ball screen actions. The franchise's two most promising prospect are both ball screen players. It can be the ball screen motion stuff run by Bill Self/Billy Donovan or be like Tony Bennett's Modified Blocker Mover offense.

Third, I'd hire Brad Soucie from Liberty to run the DLeague club. Yes, it's a bit of nepotism on my part but he's one of the best development guys at the college level and is well versed in Bennett's offense. So my call-ups would have a grasp of my offense.

Fourth, I'd make a run at Allan Stein as the team trainer. Again, a bit of nepotism but the guy is phenomenal at getting guys prepared physically.

From there all I can do is hope to be competitive. This team as currently assembled is not especially good, but we have a top 5 SF in Carmelo Anthony. The hope is the coaching staff can make this team look strong enough to entice a top positional player to come here. Another top 5 guy won't be easy to land but maybe we can land another top 10 and have Kristaps Porzingis develop into a top 10 guy at the PF spot.
    Well thought out and some optimism with your last statement. Appreciated.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

personally I dont believe this article, but that D-League team was awful and clearly wasnt developing into anything.

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    personally I dont believe this article, but that D-League team was awful and clearly wasnt developing into anything.
    It's a D-LEAGUE team. What exactly are they supposed to develop into?

It's a D-LEAGUE team. What exactly are they supposed to develop into?
    There's a reason why it's called the Development League. maybe not I guess.

There's a reason why it's called the Development League. maybe not I guess.
    The vast majority of dleague guys aren't legit NBA players. Some of the expectation for what you're seeing has to be couched.

The vast majority of dleague guys aren't legit NBA players. Some of the expectation for what you're seeing has to be couched.
    Agreed. But even still the team should be actually developing talent. Those guys looked no better at the end than they did at the start, Thanasis included.

Agreed. But even still the team should be actually developing talent. Those guys looked no better at the end than they did at the start, Thanasis included.
    I agree but it's not the fault of the coaching staff. The current D-League setup is flawed. They play too many games to have any extensive player development programs.

The league knows this and they are having conversations with the NBA about changing it. It is also why big teams are buying D-LEAGUE squads. You have an easier time convincing a coach to focus on development when you the one signing his check.

I agree but it's not the fault of the coaching staff. The current D-League setup is flawed. They play too many games to have any extensive player development programs.

The league knows this and they are having conversations with the NBA about changing it. It is also why big teams are buying D-LEAGUE squads. You have an easier time convincing a coach to focus on development when you the one signing his check.
    All good points. Dont we own our D-League team? If so, it would make sense that they would be focused on development. Like for instance, I would think our D-League management knows we wanted to eventually call up Thanasis. So at the least the focus should have been on him. It wasnt like they were focused on actually winning games.

All good points. Dont we own our D-League team? If so, it would make sense that they would be focused on development. Like for instance, I would think our D-League management knows we wanted to eventually call up Thanasis. So at the least the focus should have been on him. It wasnt like they were focused on actually winning games.
    Yeah they own the club. Problem is D-LEAGUE has a NBA-like schedule. You have more games/travel than allows for extensive practices. So DL guys spend more time learning pro concepts than getting in consistent skill work. Part of the reason I dislike being a Triangle team, besides cutting short Porzingis potential, is that it limits how effectively the team can hunt for DL talent.