Default Terrance Ross = Bust?

Yes it was overall a weak draft, and yes we all know we should've drafted Andre Drummond but in terms of T-Ross's skillset i'm starting to look at him as bust material. He's gotten plenty of opportunity on this team being given the starting spot early on by default and then having DD go down but i've seen nothing impressive out of him. He's barely getting to the rim like he used to, his fg and 3pt% are down from last year and his defense is looking like trash. Should we trade him while he still has "upside" due to his age and athletic ability?

Default Re: Terrance Ross = Bust?

He reminds me of Charlie Villanueva. Had one big game with the raps but wasn't much of a big deal with this system.

I think he'd be servicable on the correct second unit in a JR Smith (lesser version) type of role. Come in, play decent defense, take 3's and dunk. On this team, a lot is expected of him and he has a relatively low ceiling IMO.

And just as you say that bokes, THIS comes out:
    http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/689315

But according to league sources, Ross is going nowhere. "Absolutely not," one rival executive told Sporting News. "They still have a lot of belief in him and there is not much you could do to get him from them.
    The ONLY thing good about him for us right now is that he's not breaking the bank.

Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Casey is making the right choice. Make him come off the bench. He goes against second unit guys and gets the best of his match-up. IF he plays well he stays in the game and closes it out with the starters.

My thinking is he will take over the role of Sweet Lou next year, who I think the raps do not resign. Better to use that money on another big. A power forward so that you can slide Amir over to back-up center.

Ross and JJ off the bench at 2/3 is good enough going forward. Plus you have Bruno maybe waiting in the wings to get a little playing time.

Who knows what the draft will bring.

Local High School Star

Hind sight is always 20 - 20 but....a little memory here.....

Myself and many others here posted that BC reached for Ross when Drummond was available.

The more correct answer (if there is one) is why didnt Colangelo try to trade down and grab Ross later (projected at 18 as I recall). Even one of those I'll pick your guy and you pick my guy deals + cash trades hands.

I think I recall J Lamb went 15 ish @ Houston (??!!) at that time would have loved Drummond... especially factoring in the Klow deal that just in rumor or went down and they were stocking up to make trades to get Dwight (and more).

Drummond having slipped was on many teams radar (Houston / Portland / etc) who had multiple picks that year.

__

As to Ross as a core guy ? Is he a bust ?

Yes ! No ! *** at the right price.

No ! Yes ! *** at the wrong price

Doesn't it always come down to what hit his deal is on the cap ?? Starter / bench / depth all of the above.

Having guys like Ross is very very important to competitive consistent teams so long as his deal is cap friendly and allows the team to continue to build for success in the long term.

What should Ross's deal look like ?? Amir Money?? Landry Money ?? Derozan money to too much I think... you may think differently.

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

I wouldn't quite call him a bust, but it becomes more and more obvious everyday that the Raptors should have taken Drummond.

He started this season looking like a solid starter but has fallen off. Not ready to give up on him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by barkleynash
    Casey is making the right choice. Make him come off the bench. He goes against second unit guys and gets the best of his match-up. IF he plays well he stays in the game and closes it out with the starters.

My thinking is he will take over the role of Sweet Lou next year, who I think the raps do not resign. Better to use that money on another big. A power forward so that you can slide Amir over to back-up center.

Ross and JJ off the bench at 2/3 is good enough going forward. Plus you have Bruno maybe waiting in the wings to get a little playing time.

Who knows what the draft will bring.
    I don't feel like he fully accepts/embraces that bench role. His Psyche seems to be kind of similar to Bargnani. He's not starter material (at least not at his current level of development) and when he enters the game he kind of drifts. Only once in awhile does he look actively engaged on the offensive and defense end. So as of right now, no I wouldn't say he's getting the best out of his 2nd unit matchup nor playing well enough to close out games.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by T-Low
    He reminds me of Charlie Villanueva. Had one big game with the raps but wasn't much of a big deal with this system.

+1.

He seems like he has absolutely no drive in self-improvement...His development is stagnant...compared to JV anyway.

3 and D guys are crucial to teams. Ross has got the 3 part down, but he needs to focus and lockdown on defence. You're not going to get value for Ross at this stage anyways, theres no point in trading him.

It was a smart move to hold on to the guy. They have him under contract for two more years at a reasonable price. Give him time to come out of his funk. His defence was much better last night, if he hits a few shots he is a real plus off the bench. They also have to wait to see what happens with sweet lou. If sweet lou resigns then maybe ross is expendable. If he leaves then Ross must take the reigns as game changer off the bench.

Right now, I think the raps depth is a major factor. Last year come playoffs, they looked gassed. This year they should be fresh and ready to go at people. They also have a much more versatile roster. My goal for the raps is to play the last 30 games as a top ten defence. I think it is realistic they can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by barkleynash
    It was a smart move to hold on to the guy. They have him under contract for two more years at a reasonable price. Give him time to come out of his funk. His defence was much better last night, if he hits a few shots he is a real plus off the bench. They also have to wait to see what happens with sweet lou. If sweet lou resigns then maybe ross is expendable. If he leaves then Ross must take the reigns as game changer off the bench.

Right now, I think the raps depth is a major factor. Last year come playoffs, they looked gassed. This year they should be fresh and ready to go at people. They also have a much more versatile roster. My goal for the raps is to play the last 30 games as a top ten defence. I think it is realistic they can do that.
    His shot selection was atrocious yesterday. So unimpressed with this guy lately. You'd think his benching would light a fire under him. He looks uninterested more often than not.

Sessel, his role is obviously changing. He came in, played hard-nosed defence and missed his shots. He will come out of it. Maybe not in a big way, but he will be part of their rotation.