Local High School Star

Default Fact or fiction : The whole "Drake thing"

I know it was Drake and it was whatever.

Fine whatever. A rap concert.

Have to admit I hope there is fire behind the smoke.

KDurant is a free agent next year.

Consider:

He can sign for more money in Okla. He is a Washington native and grew up watching the Bullets/ Wizards. Boston is a storied franchise with gap room and youth. The Lakers are a storied franchise with cap room and a D league roster. Other teams could make trades and deals to make a run including Portland I assume, Golden State, maybe even Miami, Knicks, and Hornets.

Toronto Offers:

1) A Playoff contending team in the wide open Eastern Conference (not the west) with arguably 2 All Stars in complementary positions in Demar Derozan and Kyle Lowry.

2) A youngish roster under contract for 2-3 years with quality depth. Derozan, Lowry, Ross, Val, Vasquez, PP, Amir (I hope), Bebe, Bruno, Sweet Lou.

3) Expiring deals: Landry $7.5 Million , Hayes $5.5 Million, Hansboro $2.5Million - say $16 Million dollars plus 2 draft picks in the first round of 2015 -16. Toronto's own draft pick arguably 24th and New York Knicks pick arguably 18th. The combination of cap room and draft picks may be an incentive to a sign and trade deal.

4) The All Star game coming.

5) A team recognized in smart NBA circles as one that is top 10 in attendance and revenue but ....

6) A team where local outside basketball income potential is significantly less and taxes are higher (but comparable to New York State and Michigan State - say among the highest in the USA).

I know this is a lot of speculation and maybe people would say don't jinx it.

I simply have to say if Kevin Durant is really even a little interested in exploring options is there any better destination than Toronto ?

I gotta hope and dream.

Your opinion ???

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

Default Re: Fact or fiction : The whole "Drake thing"

I hope it's true. That would be fantastic. I'm pretty sure he's on record as saying he grew up a Raptors fan because of Vince Carter being his favourite player. I'd say there's at least some interest, but I don't see why he'd leave OKC unless their team starts to implode.

I'd love it to no end but I don't think there's more than 2% chance he comes here.

The NBA says it never asked the Raptors to fire Drake, the team