Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Default Which team was the best? Ultimate All-Star Fantasy Draft (TNT)

Video is a couple of years old, TNT did a fantasy draft with Barkley, Kenny Smith, Steve Kerr, Reggie Miller, Kevin McHale and C-Webb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BofOXnyQWZk

The video is worth a watch (even just for Chuck's first pick) but I've listed the teams below.

Reggie Miller - Boom Baby Daggers
    David Robinson
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Charles Barkley
    Michael Jordan
    John Stockton
    Ray Allen
    Jason Kidd
    Alonzo Mourning
    Dwyane Wade
    Steve Kerr

Charles Barkley - The Rebounders
    Moses Malone
    Tim Duncan
    James Worthy
    Reggie Miller
    Allen Iverson
    Jerry Lucas
    Dave Cowens
    Deron Williams
    Kevin Durant
    Bob Lainer

Kevin McHale - The Big Green Machine
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Kevin Garnett
    Larry Bird
    John Havlicek
    Bob Cousy
    Sam Jones
    Nate 'Tiny' Archibald
    Robert Parish
    Paul Pierce
    Tom Heinsohn

C-Webb - Super Friends
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Kevin McHale
    Dominque Wilkins
    Oscar Robertson
    Isiah Thomas
    Patrick Ewing
    Alex English
    Chris Mullin
    George Gervin
    Chris Webber

Steve Kerr - The Luc Longley Express
    Bill Russell
    Karl Malone
    Scottie Pippen
    Kobe Bryant
    LeBron James
    Steve Nash
    Dwight Howard
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Dennis Johnson
    Grant Hill

Kenny Smith - Aim High
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Elvin Hayes
    Julius Erving
    Jerry West
    Magic Johnson
    Clyde Drexler
    Gary Payton
    Connie Hawkins
    Elgin Baylor
    Kenny Smith

Banned

Default Re: Which team was the best? Ultimate All-Star Fantasy Draft (TNT)

between miller and kerr. miller has no sf so i'll maybe go with kerr

Winner is clearly Reggie Miller

It's more interesting to see who's second. Or if Chuck had drafted Jordan like he would have.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Winner is clearly Reggie Miller
    Word

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BlOTeoZVE

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

How is it clearly Reggie? Kerr could throw out: LeBron, Kobe, Scottie, Dirk, Russell and I can't see a lineup that Reggie would be able to counter with. Kidd, MJ, Barkley, Hakeem, D-Rob? MJ, Wade, Barkley, Hakeem, D-Rob?

Either way, LeBron towers over the other PG and, most importantly, Dirk pulls Hakeem or D-Rob out of the paint. Plus, Barkley at the 3? Ugh. Maybe Kidd/Wade/MJ, but you are really going small there. And small ball shouldn't work when the talent of both teams is this high.

College superstar

McHale has a pretty nice team, too

College superstar

Stockton, Allen, Jordan, Barkley, Hakeem. Pretty solid team, but the big thing is the dominating bench.

College superstar

Honestly, all teams are pretty awesome, with the exception of Chuck's team, and only there because I don't trust AI running the team

Kerr's list is the winner IMO.
    He's got great talent at each position. He's got a few players who can play 3-4 positions without hindering team performance (LeBron, Pippen, Hill), and he has great post players with great shooters. The only thing lacking is defense but not by much. I'm assuming everyone is in their primes, which means Dirk, Nash & Kobe aren't awful defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    How is it clearly Reggie? Kerr could throw out: LeBron, Kobe, Scottie, Dirk, Russell and I can't see a lineup that Reggie would be able to counter with. Kidd, MJ, Barkley, Hakeem, D-Rob? MJ, Wade, Barkley, Hakeem, D-Rob?

Either way, LeBron towers over the other PG and, most importantly, Dirk pulls Hakeem or D-Rob out of the paint. Plus, Barkley at the 3? Ugh. Maybe Kidd/Wade/MJ, but you are really going small there. And small ball shouldn't work when the talent of both teams is this high.
    It doesn't work that way. Kidd/Stockton/MJ/Wade could guard Lebron on the perimeter and if he ventured near the rim, Olajuwon and Robinson is waiting for him.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

How so? I would assume Dirk plays a more perimeter role for spacing, since that team lacks shooters outside of Kobe and Nash. So one of the "twin towers" would be consistently out of the paint in their game. That's the primary draw of Reggie's team defense.

So I'm going to say D-Rob guards Dirk, since I think most would rather keep Hakeem manning the paint, even though he's probably better suited to guard Dirk. The combo of Kidd-MJ manages to keep LeBron out, forcing him to become almost all a facilitator. But that also means MJ has to help off Kobe. I don't know who you think plays the 3 for Reggie's team. I will say Barkley, purely because he's the best available talent. So Barkley has to rotate over and you have a decent mismatch favoring Kerr's team with Barkley on Kobe. Barkley can't stay in front of Kobe, Hakeem has to help off and that leaves Dirk wide open. If you don't help then I'll take my chance of Kobe + Russell under the rim vs D-Rob by himself anyday.

Then defensively, all you would really have to worry about is Dirk. He would get destroyed by either D-Rob or Hakeem. However it's the defensive versatility of Kerr's team should hold out, imo. You can switch with Pippen, LeBron, or even Russell if you want with almost no problems. Kobe-Kidd, Pippen-MJ, LeBron-Barkley, Dirk-Robinson, Russell-Hakeem. Kobe can help off on MJ with peak Kidd having pretty much no shot from the perimeter. Really, no one on Reggie's team makes them pay for leaving someone open. MJ, maybe, if he gets hot, but he would be the focus of the defense anyhow. You can bring Stockton and/or Ray in, but then that puts you at a major disadvantage defensively.

Kerr's team can adjust easily without too many roster shifts. Reggie's team is always on their heels. I think Barkley or Kidd is the odd man out. If Kidd's somewhat jumper he developed later in his career was with him in his peak season or if Barkley could defend SGs, then I would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Honestly, all teams are pretty awesome, with the exception of Chuck's team, and only there because I don't trust AI running the team
    Yeah Chuck shot himself in the foot with that AI pick, but it did make the rest of the show pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    McHale has a pretty nice team, too
    Shaq and Bird would be scary. How do you stop that?
    Last edited by miller-time; 07-22-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    How so? I would assume Dirk plays a more perimeter role for spacing, since that team lacks shooters outside of Kobe and Nash. So one of the "twin towers" would be consistently out of the paint in their game. That's the primary draw of Reggie's team defense.

So I'm going to say D-Rob guards Dirk, since I think most would rather keep Hakeem manning the paint, even though he's probably better suited to guard Dirk. The combo of Kidd-MJ manages to keep LeBron out, forcing him to become almost all a facilitator. But that also means MJ has to help off Kobe. I don't know who you think plays the 3 for Reggie's team. I will say Barkley, purely because he's the best available talent. So Barkley has to rotate over and you have a decent mismatch favoring Kerr's team with Barkley on Kobe. Barkley can't stay in front of Kobe, Hakeem has to help off and that leaves Dirk wide open. If you don't help then I'll take my chance of Kobe + Russell under the rim vs D-Rob by himself anyday.

Then defensively, all you would really have to worry about is Dirk. He would get destroyed by either D-Rob or Hakeem. However it's the defensive versatility of Kerr's team should hold out, imo. You can switch with Pippen, LeBron, or even Russell if you want with almost no problems. Kobe-Kidd, Pippen-MJ, LeBron-Barkley, Dirk-Robinson, Russell-Hakeem. Kobe can help off on MJ with peak Kidd having pretty much no shot from the perimeter. Really, no one on Reggie's team makes them pay for leaving someone open. MJ, maybe, if he gets hot, but he would be the focus of the defense anyhow. You can bring Stockton and/or Ray in, but then that puts you at a major disadvantage defensively.

Kerr's team can adjust easily without too many roster shifts. Reggie's team is always on their heels. I think Barkley or Kidd is the odd man out. If Kidd's somewhat jumper he developed later in his career was with him in his peak season or if Barkley could defend SGs, then I would agree.
    Wade/MJ/Barkley/Robinson/Hakeem were all excellent mid-close range shooters. Just because they were only decent from the 3 point range doesn't mean they don't stretch defenses with mid range shots. MJ could definitely guard Lebron and Wade/Allen definitely could guard Kobe. No problem there.

I do feel Kerr's team is going to be outrebounded pretty badly too. Reggie's team is also the better open court/transition team.

Kerr's team is more versatile and has defense covered at every position not to mention the biggest winner of all time and defensive beast in Bill Russell (Dwight's not bad either). I would give Kerr the nod slightly ahead of Miller's

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

I love Reggie's team sans Alonzo Mourning.