Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: If Duncan gets that 5th ring....

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakable
    i like how you dont deny anything i say about MJ .. proves my point
    nice avatar by the way LMAO

The crap you say about MJ is dumb, and not even worth discussing.

Definitely above Kobe, Shaq, and Hakeem.

Local High School Star Vienceslav's Avatar

I just gotta laugh at the guy who doesn't have Kareem in top 5, that's all.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by WeGetRing2012
    That's what the FMVP usually means..

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    You forgot to mention Duncan played and dominated both ends of the floor compared to Shaq's one.

Using your logic, Wilt is better than MJ since he was more dominant in a shorter period of time.

Duncan's longevity, versatility, career accomplishments and consistency>Shaq's dominance over couple years on one end.
    Agreed. at people ranking kobe above duncan right now.

Duncan is playing like a boss, both sides of the court, he definitely seems more focused on defense, but he never passes up a good shot.

He is definitely getting some 20 year old p.ussy. Explains the divorce and explains his juvenile enthusiasm... man are like vampires.
    Last edited by Blue&Orange; 05-26-2013 at 07:14 AM.

It's ugly ass B.Walton

Duncan hasn't really played at superstar level this postseason. However, if he keeps up Game 3 kind of play he'll easily be above Kobe/Shaq/Hakeem/Bird/Wilt.

What if he chokes to the tune of 2005 Finals again, though? No one ever gives him shi.t for his downright horrible offensive showing because he won. Yes, I know he drew double and triple teams and was more consistent than Manu, and also played great defense. But people give Kobe s.hit all the time for 2010 despite being clearly the best and most consistent player, while playing great defense, garnering the same defensive attention and scoring efficiently on volume through 6 games.

Local High School Star Vienceslav's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by booonkers
    Agreed. at people ranking kobe above duncan right now.
    Well if staying on superstar level for a long time is the criteria you are using to rank Dundan over Kobe you will not have a good time trying to argue that.

If he gets the FMVP it's 5 rings, 4 fmvp in 5 trips to the Finals. 3-5 ?

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    How does a five year drought between finals appearances with two first round exits and zero back-to-back titles make him the "greatest winner of our era"? Are you really that stupid that a team only "wins" if they win in the finals, but if they lose repeatedly in the playoffs, it doesn't count?
    I know getting back to back titles is tough, but I don't see that not getting any is a knock on Duncan's career. It would be if he had two titles 7 years apart from each other, but the spurs more or less went to win a title every other year with the exception of 2001.

For me this is just as consistent if not more than winning back to back. This is basically the longevity vs peak argument, but on a teamscale. One team wins all its titles during a short amount of time the other over a prolonged stretch.

Kobe, the other great winner of this era, missed the playoffs, had first round exits and was the #2 guy for the missing link between the Jordan and this era.

If some of you Kobe guys argue that Tony Parkers FMVP takes away from Duncan's accomplishments/career, what are Shaq's FMVPs doing to Kobe's then? You can't have it both ways.

Generally "the GOAT-list" sucks, because you can't really make a list of the 10 best players, because you can't ultimately compare them as players.

It's ugly ass B.Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    I know getting back to back titles is tough, but I don't see that not getting any is a knock on Duncan's career. It would be if he had two titles 7 years apart from each other, but the spurs more or less went to win a title every other year with the exception of 2001.

For me this is just as consistent if not more than winning back to back. This is basically the longevity vs peak argument, but on a teamscale. One team wins all its titles during a short amount of time the other over a prolonged stretch.

Kobe, the other great winner of this era, missed the playoffs, had first round exits and was the #2 guy for the missing link between the Jordan and this era.

If some of you Kobe guys argue that Tony Parkers FMVP takes away from Duncan's accomplishments/career, what are Shaq's FMVPs doing to Kobe's then? You can't have it both ways.

Generally "the GOAT-list" sucks, because you can't really make a list of the 10 best players, because you can't ultimately compare them as players.
    Well, one thing is odd, though. Why does the fact that Duncan only won in years during which competition was really down compared to others (except for 05) never get any mention? LeBron gets s.hit on for the fact that his EC path is ridiculously easy but Duncan's runs have got to be some of the easiest WC runs of the last decade.

They would've lost to a healthy Lakers team in 03 and were one in-and-out away from G7. In 07 they faced the mighty Cavs and the Suns went down due to bullsh.it suspensions. In 99 they faced what, KG minny, pre-Phil Lakers and the Ewing-less Knicks? Like seriously guys

BTW I still think Timmy is a Top 7 GOAT and only really really slightly below Kobe. They're interchangeable to me.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Element
    Well, one thing is odd, though. Why does the fact that Duncan only won in years during which competition was really down compared to others (except for 05) never get any mention? LeBron gets s.hit on for the fact that his EC path is ridiculously easy but Duncan's runs have got to be some of the easiest WC runs of the last decade.

They would've lost to a healthy Lakers team in 03 and were one in-and-out away from G7. In 07 they faced the mighty Cavs and the Suns went down due to bullsh.it suspensions. In 99 they faced what, KG minny, pre-Phil Lakers and the Ewing-less Knicks? Like seriously guys

BTW I still think Timmy is a Top 7 GOAT and only really really slightly below Kobe. They're interchangeable to me.
    No one ever mentions any context around what the Spurs or Duncan do..

Tony Parker is putting up 22/7/4 in the playoffs right now and has been their most consistent and best player and he gets no mention.

The Spurs are stacked head to toe with some of the most developed, and talented perimeter talent in the entire league and it gets no mention. When the Spurs bury you its with that perimeter offense and shooting. But you'd never know it looking at the threads on ISH.

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by Element

The same can be said about the Lakers threepeat. They had easy paths as well and the only worthy opponent they truly faced was in the WCF. Their competition in the Finals was a sick joke because the Eastern conference was at its weakest point during the early 00's. When LA finally faced a worthy opponent in the Finals they folded like a cheap lawn chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty
    If he gets the FMVP it's 5 rings, 4 fmvp in 5 trips to the Finals. 3-5 ?
    Ring counting is the epitome of revisionist history. If Duncan at an old age wins another ring, I'm not suddenly altering the history of the majority of his career. I already know what Tim Duncan is. With or without a ring this year, I know what Duncan has been throughout his career.

If he is indeed a top 5 player, its not because of this season. It's what he has been the entire time.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    The same can be said about the Lakers threepeat. They had easy paths as well and the only worthy opponent they truly faced was in the WCF. Their competition in the Finals was a sick joke because the Eastern conference was at its weakest point during the early 00's. When LA finally faced a worthy opponent in the Finals they folded like a cheap lawn chair.
    The Lakers still faced the best competition to come out of the east in the past decade..

04 pistons
    08 celtics
    10 celtics

The rest of the competition has been weak besides maybe the 06 heat.. LA faced the best eastern talent available.