Thread: Cities Skylines

Default Cities Skylines

If you like city builder style games, you will love this. Its one of the best games I have played in a long time.

This is the game that simcity5 should have been, at half the cost.

Default Re: Cities Skylines

Was going to make a thread asking if anyone has been playing this game. It's been getting quite a bit of press.

I don't have it yet but I've been playing the shit out of Europa Univeralis 4, which is another one of Paradox's franchises.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

It's on my eventual impulse buy list, if there were such a thing. It's only 30 bucks but it's PC you know? I just need to wait a year and the next thing you know it's in a bundle with 4 other games for a dollar. Or at least wait for the summer steam sale for a discount. I'm backlogged like shit anyway.

Is it one of those city builders that you manage the people also? Like Tropico? Because I hated that game.
    Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious; 03-17-2015 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    It's on my eventual impulse buy list, if there were such a thing. It's only 30 bucks but it's PC you know? I just need to wait a year and the next thing you know it's in a bundle with 4 other games for a dollar. Or at least wait for the summer steam sale for a discount. I'm backlogged like shit anyway.

Is it one of those city builders that you manage the people also? Like Tropico? Because I hated that game.
    the gameplay is pretty much identical to simcity. you build roads and zone them for different uses, toss down a power plant and a water pump, then watch the city grow.

one really cool thing about the game is all the mods and mod support. the steam workshop has a crapload of free add ons you can download such as - playable maps of areas like new york and san francisco, complex highway interchanges, user created buildings and monuments....

Last edited by Nanners; 03-18-2015 at 12:12 AM.

List of 8 of the best mods currently out there.

http://thebests.kotaku.com/the-8-bes.../+lukeplunkett

i always mess up the traffic entrance/exit from high way into the different zones... I'm just playing with unlimited money atm to get a feel of the game since I haven't played with sim city games before but this game is like addictive.

Banned

It's good but after about 6-8 hours it becomes boring and all you are doing is following a set routine of expanding your city while you have more money than you can possibly spend rolling in. Need to add in some sort of end game challenge like crime/fires/monsters/disasters or something.

It's a sandbox game.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

OK, someone actually gave me this.

Been playing for about 8 hours and I literally restarted my first city 12 times... How do you not run out of money? The map I choose has the water so far from the starting roads. Those pipes and the electricity lines always put a huge dent in my budget. Then I try to expand my population (more residentials), but it starts using more electricity than I produce. By then I don't have the 6k to make another windmill and I still haven't reached the first milestone to get a loan. I know I can build that shit closer, but then everyone complains about the sound and the pollution and all that crap. Also can't figure out where to place the electrical lines nicely to where it isn't intrusive.

I just said **** it on my last attempt and turned on unlimited money to **** around. Still want to get back to the clean way tho.

Tips for starting out early? Also what mods you guys using?

omg I just realized I have been doing power lines wrong the entire time. Well that will save me space and money.
    Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious; 03-22-2015 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    OK, someone actually gave me this.

Been playing for about 8 hours and I literally restarted my first city 12 times... How do you not run out of money? The map I choose has the water so far from the starting roads. Those pipes and the electricity lines always put a huge dent in my budget. Then I try to expand my population (more residentials), but it starts using more electricity than I produce. By then I don't have the 6k to make another windmill and I still haven't reached the first milestone to get a loan. I know I can build that shit closer, but then everyone complains about the sound and the pollution and all that crap. Also can't figure out where to place the electrical lines nicely to where it isn't intrusive.

I just said **** it on my last attempt and turned on unlimited money to **** around. Still want to get back to the clean way tho.

Tips for starting out early? Also what mods you guys using?

omg I just realized I have been doing power lines wrong the entire time. Well that will save me space and money.
    I havent really had any problems with money at the start. I guess I just try to keep everything as compact as possible. You dont really need to build much to reach the first milestone, should be able to do it with just 1 well placed windmill.

I use the mod that increases city size from 9 tiles to 25 tiles, and the one that enables achievements with mods turned on. I also downloaded a ton of maps, prebuilt roundabouts and highway interchanges, and some unique buildings like the space needle and stark tower.

I am currently building on a map of the Portland Oregon area which has been a ton of fun. I have been trying to design it as close to the real life version as possible and its coming along quite nicely. I am up to about 200k pop at the moment with only about half of the map filled in.
    Last edited by Nanners; 03-23-2015 at 07:23 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Nice. I was a BIG Simcity 4 fan and always downloaded the custom content, mods, etc. This will be the first game I will give a try in a long time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/citiesskylines - is a good spot for anyone looking for info or tips on the game.