Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

Default Why don't more NBA players put Kareem's sky hook in their arensal?

It is easily the most unstoppable move when mastered. I see a few guys perfrom Michael Jordan's turnaround fadeaway like Kobe, Tmac, Vince, Mayo, Wade, but I barely every see the sky hook.

The only player I have currently seen do it is Marc Gasol. What cause the death of the sky hook?

AK47DR91
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Why don't more NBA players put Kareem's sky hook in their arensal?

It's unstoppable/unblockable but the accuracy is very very low if you don't master it.

LAL|LAC

KAJ said that the hook shot is not "macho" enough and lots of players want to look cool. Even back in the 50s when he learned it the hook shot was going out of style.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

NBA big men need to learn basic post play before they master the hook shot. No but seriously alot of big men now are pretty perimeter oriented or like to shoot the jumper and I'm sure when guys are growing up they aren't practicing the hook shot for 5 hours a day like they would be other things.

Because its tough to do.

I mean seriously thats gotta take years to master that, and not just in practice, but in game when it matters.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Too finesse and too difficult to have teach let alone have a player master.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Kareem learned how to do it as a kid when his older brother would swat all his shots. That's how long it takes to learn the sky hook.

AK47DR91

A lot of guys are using those quick release flip shots now. I'm not sure what the real term for it is but Yao, Bogut, Gasol uses it. It's sort a looks like a hook but not quite. At least not like Kareem's skyhook.

I actually use that flip shot too when I'm at the gym or park.

Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

The skyhook is extremely inaccurate when used from far. There are better shots out there.

Instead of using the skyhook from range why not use a simple jumper instead? It's not like you're getting blocked alot shooting jumpers. Learn some fakes or even a fadeaway and you are much less likely to get blocked and get to use both hands to shoot.

Close range a simple hook shot will do it and is more effective. No need to do it Kareem style.

And do you really thing big men are going to master the skyhook when they can't even hit their free throws? There are better things to work on

Because you have to be able to palm the ball with ease (which most big guys can probably do so whatev), but more importantly, it's not any more unstoppable than any other good post move. There have plenty of other great post players and none of them had that move.

Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTTKap_V0s0

it works well in nba elite 11

Only player i can think of that uses weird flip shots now would be Jamison, not skyhook or anything, but these weird leaning quick release floaters...

AK47DR91

^^^It's a different kind then. Maybe flip is the wrong term I'm using.

Here is that quick release flip hookshots that I was talking about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzqfDaL0hZo

I guess they're technically hookshots too but it just looks like a flipshot compared to Kareem's skyhook.
    Last edited by AK47DR91; 10-05-2010 at 01:16 AM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlB8X101kME

Woops posted already. I guess he started practicing since grade 5.