Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

Default Re: Prime KG defending Durant

I surmise it would have been a gangly battle for the ages. A pair of Stretch Armstrong's duking it out.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #17
bizil
College superstar

That would be an EPIC matchup! Especially if Durant was forced to defend KG on the other end. In his earlier days, KG played a lot of SF. Which would mean KD wouldn't really have a choice but to defend KG. Or even when OKC goes small with KD at PF, KG would be a touch matchup on both ends. KG was a freak athlete at 7'0 who would have abused KD on the block. But yet is a great defender who could check SG-C all very good-great.

But what separates KD from Bron, Kobe, Wade, Melo, etc. is the fact that he's flat out a great shooter from anywhere. And KD is also a very good-great slasher. Plus KD is 6'10 to 6'11 himself. So I don't see KG shutting him down, but I do see KG making him work and giving him trouble. But KD would still be right around his average, but would be less effcient. And KD would have trouble checking KG on the other end.
bizil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #18
bizil
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
Kevin Garnett got torched a few times by a younger Amare in his prime

scorers are scorers.

I agree! A young Amare was a flat beast. He had the midrange jumper to go with that freak athletic ability. Which means he could mix it up on KG and even go over the top of KG in ways no PF during that time could. Amare at his best is a beast finisher in transition and in the half court. But even with Amare, Dirk, Webber, McDyess, Sheed, and Timmy, KG would give ALL of them trouble on D. They might get right around their scoring numbers, but the trick is to make them less effcient. And KG was a good enough scorer to make them work on offense and KG and point forward type skills in a 7 foot body.
bizil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #19
BigTicket
Cavs for life

KG was great, but noone can shut down a scorer like Durant entirely, best you can do is limit him.

I'd say Durant would get 20-22 ppg on 40-45% shooting.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #20
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTicket
KG was great, but noone can shut down a scorer like Durant entirely, best you can do is limit him.

I'd say Durant would get 20-22 ppg on 40-45% shooting.

you think KG can fight through screens all day?
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: