Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Anyone have Hakeem over Wilt/Russell?

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Exactly. Wilt was RARELY even CLOSE to foul trouble. And of course, he was limiting his HOF opposing centers to around a full ten percentage point drop in their FG% efficiencies, as well as blocking 7+ shots per game.
    Wilt was great defender but you should agree with that , he hold back himself from contacts generally . And that's a negative thing .

Quote Originally Posted by feyki
    Wilt was great defender but you should agree with that , he hold back himself from contacts generally . And that's a negative thing .
    Prove it.

BTW...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilt_Chamberlain

[QUOTE]In the post-season, the Lakers swept the Chicago Bulls,[91] then went on to face the Milwaukee Bucks of young superstar center and regular-season MVP Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (formerly Lew Alcindor). The matchup between Chamberlain and Abdul-Jabbar was hailed by LIFE magazine as the greatest matchup in all of sports. Chamberlain would help lead the Lakers past Jabbar and the Bucks in six games.[91] Particularly, Chamberlain was lauded for his performance in Game 6, which the Lakers won 104

And Wilt had a FAR greater IMPACT at the defensive end than Hakeem did.
    FAR greater.

Exactly. Wilt was RARELY even CLOSE to foul trouble.
    Exactly, he was never in foul trouble because he stopped playing defense. It's like I'm talking to a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    Exactly, he was never in foul trouble because he stopped playing defense. It's like I'm talking to a wall.

Of course, Wilt has the highest non-Russell Defensive Win-Share marks in NBA history, and was voted first-team all-defense in his last two seasons. And would most certainly have been DPOY in '72, and likely in '73, as well (he was even better in '73.) Of course, they didn't start All-Defensive teams until '69, and he was injured in '70 and missed nearly the entire season. In any case, he would likely have been first team all-defense in '67 and '68 (and again DPOY both years) had the award existed.

And he is, without question, the greatest shot-blocker in NBA history.

But yes, he stopped playing defense when he received his second foul (which based on what we know...didn't occur until late in the his usual games.)

Of course, Wilt has the highest non-Russell Defensive Win-Share marks in NBA history, and was voted first-team all-defense in his last two seasons. And would most certainly have been DPOY in '72, and likely in '73, as well (he was even better in '73.) Of course, they didn't start All-Defensive teams until '69, and he was injured in '70 and missed nearly the entire season. In any case, he would likely have been first team all-defense in '67 and '68 (and again DPOY both years) had the award existed.

And he is, without question, the greatest shot-blocker in NBA history.

But yes, he stopped playing defense when he received his second foul (which based on what we know...didn't occur until late in the his usual games.)

I trust someone that actually lived and played in that era, AGAINST WILT, more than you. Because you seem to lose sight of reality every time Wilt gets brought up.

Local High School Star KelticForce1349's Avatar

I think Hakeem is the greatest Center ever so yes, I do rank him higher than both of them. I have tremendous respect for Bill Russell though. Wilt?

Quote Originally Posted by KelticForce1349
    I think Hakeem is the greatest Center ever so yes, I do rank him higher than both of them. I have tremendous respect for Bill Russell though. Wilt?

If this were true, it would make the facts that Wilt was a tremendous shot blocker and that he could routinely hold an elite scorer like young, athletic Kareem to 40-45% FG games all the more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    If this were true, it would make the facts that Wilt was a tremendous shot blocker and that he could routinely hold an elite scorer like young, athletic Kareem to 40-45% FG games all the more impressive.
    And keep in mind that less than 2% of Wilt's career is on tape...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=splnUR-52jM

Or the entended version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJGCySdvlPo

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    It is .

And Wilt had a FAR greater IMPACT at the defensive end than Hakeem did.
    FAR greater.

I don't think so . But both top 5 defensive player of history .

I rule the local playground

peak for peak Hakeem is the GOAT center

the GOAT himself picked Hakeem for his center

Serious playground baller

And keep in mind that less than 2% of Wilt's career is on tape...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=splnUR-52jM

Or the entended version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJGCySdvlPo
    That is some tremendous footage - thank you for sharing! Really liked the multiple shot blocks where Wilt blocked 1 players shot and then the very next shot by another player was also blocked! Too bad as time goes by people either forget or don't realize how great some of the older players were - if Wilt played in today's world his attention and exposure would top every player that has ever played IMO.

I do

Hakeem over Wilt/Russell/Shaq

second best to Kareem

read this http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=250889

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwin
    peak for peak Hakeem is the GOAT center

the GOAT himself picked Hakeem for his center
    Quote:
    If I had to pick a center, I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him.
    -Michael Jordan