Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Default Re: Celtics to offer Ray Allen 2 years, 12 million

If I'm a celtics fan, I like this move.

Keeps Ray Allen away from the Heat and to be honest, I'd rather have Allen over Bass / Wilcox / Green at this point. Bass is vital for limiting KG's minutes, but as someone else said, they are still 8m under the limit at this point. Wilcox and Green you have to be okay with letting them walk. Then you cross your fingers that the Celtics will be healthy enough to compete next year in a seemingly weak eastern conference.

I don't like this as a Heat fan obviously b/c Ray would have to be silly not to take double the money for a team he's had great success with, plus the on-court chemistry of him, KG, Pierce. I honestly think this offer was more about keeping Ray Allen away from Miami than anything else.

If Miami had that 3rd year it offer isn't going to be as strong. Let's see what Miami do

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Garnett_5
    This should shut up all the misinformed people who were complaining about how Danny's been trying to get rid of Ray.
    Ahhh all this means is that Rays team forced Dannys hand...Could you have imagined the SHITSTORM facing Bostons FO had Ray been draining 3's for Miami next year against them and Boston had not given Ray a decent contract offer...

Everyone knows Ray in Miami would be a perfect fit...all it would do is make it seem as if Boston wasn't utilizing him in the proper manner

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Allen just gets $3 million more here. Miami will certainly offer the 3 years - $9 million. It's going to be about where he wants to go the most.

If Ray leaves Boston, he'll never have a place he could call home once he retires.

I usually hit open layups

More importantly how does this look..

Old aging Celtics don't want Ray Allen but the young dominant Champs basically are drooling all over him

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbryan1984
    I know everyone probably thinks Ainge is crazy offering KG and Allen big money (KG more so) but seriously, these "old men" took the world champions to 7 games while missing a large chunk of their bench. So, why not keep them together for longer? Lets see what they can do when healthy.

Healthy Bosh and the Heat win in 5. I know Celtics had more injury problems, but none bigger than the Bosh injury.

Quote Originally Posted by jbryan1984
    I know everyone probably thinks Ainge is crazy offering KG and Allen big money (KG more so) but seriously, these "old men" took the world champions to 7 games while missing a large chunk of their bench. So, why not keep them together for longer? Lets see what they can do when healthy.
    I still think it's a good signing if they all come back healthy. I feel they have a shot to give it one more good go. Everyone thought they were done last year, and look at what they did with a hobbled Pierce and Allen, then missing important role players for the playoffs. They'd have to get Bass back too obviously.

If they can stay healthy (big 3) they have another shot I feel...

Rondo/Bradley
    Allen/?
    Pierce/?
    Bass/Sullinger
    Garnett/Melo

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Healthy Bosh and the Heat win in 5. I know Celtics had more injury problems, but none bigger than the Bosh injury.
    Honestly, you gotta expect 1 of the big 3 to be injured come Play-Off time. Especially when Wade is apart of said team.

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
    If Ray leaves Boston, he'll never have a place he could call home once he retires.
    Seattle? Storrs? Merced?

Ray / Ray's camp is the one that's forcing Boston to pay 6 million a year for him just so he doesn't play for Miami. If he had said during and after playoffs "I just want to play for Boston and only Boston, 3 mil a year would've been fine".

Decent college freshman

celtics lost back to back years to the heat, this one year older celtics wont go anywhere.but i understand there thinking, lets highlight some more conference finals or semifinals then spend time in mediocricy.look how many teams in many many years done nthg despite being in lottery and having high picks.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets
    If I'm a celtics fan, I like this move.

Keeps Ray Allen away from the Heat and to be honest, I'd rather have Allen over Bass / Wilcox / Green at this point. Bass is vital for limiting KG's minutes, but as someone else said, they are still 8m under the limit at this point. Wilcox and Green you have to be okay with letting them walk. Then you cross your fingers that the Celtics will be healthy enough to compete next year in a seemingly weak eastern conference.

I don't like this as a Heat fan obviously b/c Ray would have to be silly not to take double the money for a team he's had great success with, plus the on-court chemistry of him, KG, Pierce. I honestly think this offer was more about keeping Ray Allen away from Miami than anything else.
    Hmm 8 million? They could/should resign Green and pick up a swing man with the MLE. The Celtics need some wing athleticism in the worst way possible.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Depends what he values more...
    He would do well to stay in Boston. Right now I'd say he's set to have his jersey retired along with Pierce and KG, but if he were to leave, especially to the Miami freaking Heat, I could see them NOT putting his jersey in the rafters.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    I always thought it wasn't about money for Ray Allen but more about the chance to start and not being benched by Avery Bradley?

But yeah, good deal for him. Don't know why Boston would pay an old guy 6m for 2 seasons though.
    The only teams Ray would start on are terrible. If he's not happy about coming off the bench then LAL, LAC, MIA, DAL, OKC, etc. shouldn't even be in the conversation. He would come off the bench for almost everyone.

Ray was putting up Godly numbers before his ankle stuff. Unreal percentages and great stats. He shot like 50/50/90 for 2 months.

Raz
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by nbarumorz
    I think Celtics are still ~8M under the cap after KG and Allen. Of course Bass, Wilcox, and Green all are still unsigned.
    No we're not. We didn't renounce our rights to the MLE, bi-annual, Green, Bass, Pietrus or a few others.

That means we have no cap space because we have cap holds for certain players. Once we re-sign Allen, Jeff Green (we have his Bird rights), and potentially Bass -we will be at the salary cap.

Stop talking about cap space.