Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    College star

Default Re: West: As far as skills go, Kobe is No. 1 on the list (all-time)

Kareem does have an argument. Footwork, timing on blocks, passing, defensive rotations, post-defense are skills too, no? Leadership would go to "The Captain" as well I'd say.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GUUS
    he has amazing skills, but at times plays like he has the mind of JR Smith, thats Kobe's problem, takes too many stupid Kobe shots when he's doubled and easier to just pass to an open team mate
    At times he plays beautifully.

Footwork is crisp, his movement is slick, his vision is sharp, his moves are defined.

But just as he has moments like those, there's moments where its the complete opposite as equally.

And like you mentioned, its like he has brain farts or something. But even then, his mechanics seem off.

His footwork isn't the same, his moves aren't the same, his shot looks like he's just throwing it up etc.etc.

And its been like that his ENTIRE career.

Yes I know it sounds like I'm 'hatin' but its the truth.

I've mentioned it time and time again, he's like two Kobes:

And the same translates on the defensive end as well.

He'd make a great defensive play or play great ball denial, but then get sh!tted on by scrubs.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

If Kobe was always 24 Kobe, and never was 8 Kobe, Id take him more seriously as a skilled player.

As an HUGE Kobe hater, I must say as 24 he has matured and gotten better, whilst as 8 he was a "ME FIRST" player. If he always was a more mature guy, I would respect him as a player more.

As for the article, its very arguable, but probably true

Also, you can sometimes see #8 come out and shine in Kobe.

"Skill" wise I think a guy like Tracy McGrady could have a case. This is kinda getting into the "potential" type argument though.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    If Kobe was always 24 Kobe, and never was 8 Kobe, Id take him more seriously as a skilled player.

As an HUGE Kobe hater, I must say as 24 he has matured and gotten better, whilst as 8 he was a "ME FIRST" player. If he always was a more mature guy, I would respect him as a player more.

As for the article, its very arguable, but probably true

Also, you can sometimes see #8 come out and shine in Kobe.
    Sweet avi.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    playoffs are not done yet

Local High School Star LakersLaLaLand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CantStop
    Once every 25 years? Try lifetime you old man.
    lifetime? Apparently you don't know anything about the NBA. Think of the awesome talent in each decade. Lifetime is a broad timeline that doesn't apply to your statement. Should I take it seriously...

Local High School Star LakersLaLaLand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    At times he plays beautifully.

Footwork is crisp, his movement is slick, his vision is sharp, his moves are defined.

But just as he has moments like those, there's moments where its the complete opposite as equally.

And like you mentioned, its like he has brain farts or something. But even then, his mechanics seem off.

His footwork isn't the same, his moves aren't the same, his shot looks like he's just throwing it up etc.etc.

And its been like that his ENTIRE career.

Yes I know it sounds like I'm 'hatin' but its the truth.

I've mentioned it time and time again, he's like two Kobes:

And the same translates on the defensive end as well.

He'd make a great defensive play or play great ball denial, but then get sh!tted on by scrubs.
    Kobes Handles could be better. But then we would be nitpicking.

NBA sixth man of the year

No matter who blows the smoke, I'm just not going to buy it.

Kobe is a great streaky scorer and a solid passer and decent rebounder. I've rarely been impressed with his defense and his streaky shooting is off putting. At their best, I'll still take Shaq over Kobe. I know Shaq's free throw shooting hurts the team late in games, but so does Kobe's streaking shooting sometimes.

And I'm no hater, I rarely post my thoughts on Kobe. I hope he wins a title so that it can't be held against him that he didn't win one as "the man".
    Last edited by Hotlantadude81; 06-14-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81
    No matter who blows the smoke, I'm just not going to buy it.

Kobe is a great streaky scorer and a solid passer and decent rebounder. I've rarely been impressed with his defense and his streaky shooting is off putting. At their best, I'll still take Shaq over Kobe. I know Shaq's free throw shooting hurts the team late in games, but so does Kobe's streaking shooting sometimes.
    How is Kobe a streaky scorer? Do you even know what a streaky scorer is? Streaky scorers don't average 35 ppg.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by CantStop
    How is Kobe a streaky scorer? Do you even know what a streaky scorer is? Streaky scorers don't average 35 ppg.
    What I mean is he will have periods were he shoots like MJ and others he can miss several in a row. The MJ comparison is often tasty because at times you will wonder if he's ever going to miss. But then so often he fires up the bricks Antonie Walker style. It's a little bit of MJ and a bit of AI.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Not to take away anything away from this article (seriouslY) but we have to take most things West says about Kobe with a grain of salt (seriously).
    When Jerry West says Lebron is the best all around 'perimeter' player in the game today(I agree) everyone touted West's genius ,but now that he says Kobe can be the best all time & agrees with Steve Smith about Kobe's skills he is dismissed.

Players who have gotten dismissed this past week or so on the ISH speaking highly of Kobe:
    Rick Barry,Steve Smith, Alonzo Mourning,MJ & now Jerry West

He was speaking all time & not just the Lakers & if he was limiting his discussion to the Lakers he would have never referred to MJ & several other non Lakers in the interview. West is speaking all time overall ,but I know he will be dismissed because he traded for Kobe & wants to make himself look better as a GM

Obviously Jerry West(who admitted Kobe passed him years ago) has an agenda

"Hello, my name is Hate".

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...8&sportCat-nba

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    playoffs are not done yet
    I know, but what avvie would you want me to have? I lost the first 2 you sent me, and the Cavs are out now.

he is the most skilled laker of all time but he is not the best team player

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    When Jerry West says Lebron is the best all around 'perimeter' player in the game today(I agree) everyone touted West's genius ,but now that he says Kobe can be the best all time & agrees with Steve Smith about Kobe's skills he is dismissed.

Players who have gotten dismissed this past week or so on the ISH speaking highly of Kobe:
    Rick Barry,Steve Smith, Alonzo Mourning,MJ & now Jerry West

He was speaking all time & not just the Lakers & if he was limiting his discussion to the Lakers he would have never referred to MJ & several other non Lakers in the interview. West is speaking all time overall ,but I know he will be dismissed because he traded for Kobe & wants to make himself look better as a GM

Obviously Jerry West(who admitted Kobe passed him years ago) has an agenda

"Hello, my name is Hate".

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...8&sportCat-nba

But let's ignore the haters because their opinions don't mean anything at all. They sure won't be making the national news like the Logo. I know what Jerry West said means a lot to Kobe. After all the hits Kobe continues to take from the media, it was nice to see a great player give such high praise to him. As you mentioned, a lot of all-time greats have been giving Kobe props in the past few days. That is all that matters, how respected he is by his peers and by former greats.