Decent college freshman

Default Better Playoff Run: '05 Wade or '14 Durant?

'05 Wade

Playoffs: 27/6/7/1.6/1.1 shooting 48%
    1st round vs Nets (5th best defense): 26/6/9/1.8/1 shooting 50%
    2nd round vs Wizards (14th best defense): 31/7/8/1.3/1.5 shooting 54%
    3rd round vs Pistons (4th best defense): 26/5/4/1.7/1 shooting 44%

'14 Durant

Playoffs: 30/9/4/1/1.3 shooting 46%
    1st round vs Grizzlies (8th best defense): 30/10/3/.9/1.6 shooting 44%
    2nd round vs Clippers (7th best defense): 33/10/5/1/1.2 shooting 47%
    3rd round vs Spurs (4th best defense): 26/8/3/1.2/1.2 shooting 48%

Decent college freshman

Default Re: Better Playoff Run: '05 Wade or '14 Durant?

bump

My initial thought would be Dwyane Wade only because I'm a homer, but Durant's entire 2014 was insanely impressive even if I didn't have a chance to see it. I'll probably post a more detailed analysis later but just based off what you posted, I'd probably go with Durant. He shot a slightly lower percentage, but overall he played against better defenses (Wade exploded against the 14th ranked Wizards) and still put up 30 ppg. Durant owned Wade in Rebounding (as he should) and Wade beat Durant in assists (as he should), and the rest about evens itself out. I still give the edge to Durant though

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Can't say I remember 2005 in that much detail, but I do remember the way Wade surprised everyone.

And in 2014 Durant's playoff was slightly disappointing given his legendary regular season.

But that doesn't say who was better.

RS is easily Durant, but Playoffs Wade.

Wade . Westbrook was almost better player than Durant in the most important area ( WCF ) .

Local High School Star

coming into the ECFs, all the talk was about the pistons defense vs wade. wade was just coming off two great back to back series where he swept both the first and second round opponents. the pistons were the defending champs with their legendary defense who, just a year earlier, completely stopped kobe in his tracks. so the question was, can they do to wade what they did to kobe?

in game 1, they completely did just that and wade was completely shut down. but in game 2, wade exploded for 40 points. for wade, who was just a second year player and was said to have no jumpshot, it only took one game to figure out the vaunted pistons defense. after that, wade had no problem with detroit. miami was cruising and it was a foregone conclusion that they would move on to the finals. that is until wade got hurt.

not saying this makes his playoffs better. its just an interesting little tidbit.

I rule the local playground

Wade by virtue of the fact that he barely just came into the league and was already balling out on the highest stages. And while some might say the 2014 Spurs were better than the 05 Pistons because of their explosive offense and ball movement, Pop himself has said that the Pistons were the toughest team he ever faced.