Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain shot blocking averages:

Quote Originally Posted by julizaver
    Here are the numbers I took into account:
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=267732

The sources for Game 1 and Game 6 shotblocking data is Philadelphia Inquirer as I remembered (we can ask fpiii for double check).
    I've found several games you guys have not added yet, I'll try and share them soon. Also found a game where Wilt "estimated" he had 17 blocks but the newspapers cite 7 (I personally would go with the 7 figure, as Wilt liked to boast and/or might have credited himself with altered+blocked shots)

adjusted for tiny white guys getting blocked

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I personally used the smaller numbers. For example G5 EDSF Boston/Philly the excel sheet cited Wilt with 9 blocks but I've got newspapers that go pretty in depth for that same exact game that stated Russell out blocked him 12 to 2 and got 3 steals to Wilt's 0. The articles on google news archives all seem to report this same story, so that's what I went with (2) instead of the 9. Just to lean on the conservative side I went with lower numbers when I could in pretty much all the few instances where a number was being reported differently (for example if a game is reported as 8 blocks by one source, 9 by another, I went with the 8).
    There are some mistakes in the excel sheet - I don't know where this number 9 comes from, and I also took 2 blocks for Game 5.

Local High School Star

I've found several games you guys have not added yet, I'll try and share them soon. Also found a game where Wilt "estimated" he had 17 blocks but the newspapers cite 7 (I personally would go with the 7 figure, as Wilt liked to boast and/or might have credited himself with altered+blocked shots)
    Please check that file:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?pli=1#gid=0

If you find a new data about Wilt vs Russell I could add it.

Local High School Star

In my honest opinion based on articles read and all the info collected there is high probability that:

1) Wilt had more blocked shots and better averages than Russell, but it is not by huge margin. Russell himself claimed that in his last seasons he was more like averaging 4 bpg, but there are some game even in his last seasons where he blocked in double figures and a game of 14 blocks in his last post season vs Knicks (I think)

2) Wilt had at least several 20 + blocks games (the first account is from his last season game vs Packers in '62 season. Russell also had games of 20 +, I have found an article (I think from '58 season) about him blocked 20 or 25 (it was of bad quality).

3) Wilt blocked around 6.5-7 bpg in '72 season and 5.5 bpg in '73 season.

4) in 1967 Wilt averages could be even higher 9 or at least 8 bpg. Right after his move to Sixers in the middle of 1965 season there was increase of shot blocking data so we could conclude that Wilt concentrate more on defensive end as his decline in scoring suggest the same - 39 ppg prior to his move and 30 ppg after that. The obvious reason - better teammates.

5) it is impossible to determine what Wilt's career averages are (the same with Russell), as there is a lack of sufficient data for his Warriors days. So we could just estimate. I personally doubt that Wilt's career shot blocking averages are in double digits and my personal estimation is that Wilt is around 7 to 8 bpg for his career with season or two of double digits averages or very close to it. It would be interesting if H. Pollack revealed the data for Sixers home games if he still kepis it.

6) Although Nate himself claimed that he and Russell are the greatest shot blockers available numbers clearly indicate Wilt and Russell as such. Younger Nate probably was better shotblocker than Kareem, and he had a games with 14, 12, 3 x 9 vs Wilt's teams. Interestingly all of those numbers are prior to 1970 and after '69 post season I was not able to find any number for Nate vs Wilt's Lakers although we have far more available other data. For me this is a sign that after 1969 Nate although still very good in defense was not the shotblocker he used to be in his younger days. Probably he adjusted his game because of the multiple injuries he receive during his prime years.

Please check that file:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?pli=1#gid=0

If you find a new data about Wilt vs Russell I could add it.
    If you PM me your email (if you don't mind sharing it) I could email you back my modified excel file. I basically for my own personal interest removed all the "estimates" and have been adding and/or modifying data to fit the newspaper articles or game films I've got.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

And there's no formula for that. Nor is there a formula for less layups taken, due to a present shot blocker like Wilt, Thurmond, or Russell protecting a rim.
    Not only that but blown shots and layups too. Altered shots. Look at league-wide FG% and ask yourself why it increased pretty steadily when those guys got old / retired. Same guards, same game, but % went up. And you're talking about some great centers coming into the league in the '70s, Lanier, Elmore, Jabbar, Walton - just great great defense from these guys.

My friends and I all have clear, distinct memories of all-time greats like Earl Monroe, Walt Frazier, Hal Greer and even Oscar Robertson (who almost NEVER made a mistake on the court) traveling because they were driving to the hoop and looked over the wrong shoulder to see where those guys were. Flat spooked.

LeRoy Ellis was another Center that could block a lot of shots in certain games. When he was on he could really get after it.

But Russell and Chamberlain, those two specially, they would play some cat and mouse with guys. They would set a guy up, not really go after his shot, but then when they needed a stop they would really lower the boom and break a man's spirit at the same time.

In my honest opinion based on articles read and all the info collected there is high probability that:

1) Wilt had more blocked shots and better averages than Russell, but it is not by huge margin. Russell himself claimed that in his last seasons he was more like averaging 4 bpg, but there are some game even in his last seasons where he blocked in double figures and a game of 14 blocks in his last post season vs Knicks (I think)

2) Wilt had at least several 20 + blocks games (the first account is from his last season game vs Packers in '62 season. Russell also had games of 20 +, I have found an article (I think from '58 season) about him blocked 20 or 25 (it was of bad quality).

3) Wilt blocked around 6.5-7 bpg in '72 season and 5.5 bpg in '73 season.

4) in 1967 Wilt averages could be even higher 9 or at least 8 bpg. Right after his move to Sixers in the middle of 1965 season there was increase of shot blocking data so we could conclude that Wilt concentrate more on defensive end as his decline in scoring suggest the same - 39 ppg prior to his move and 30 ppg after that. The obvious reason - better teammates.

5) it is impossible to determine what Wilt's career averages are (the same with Russell), as there is a lack of sufficient data for his Warriors days. So we could just estimate. I personally doubt that Wilt's career shot blocking averages are in double digits and my personal estimation is that Wilt is around 7 to 8 bpg for his career with season or two of double digits averages or very close to it. It would be interesting if H. Pollack revealed the data for Sixers home games if he still kepis it.

6) Although Nate himself claimed that he and Russell are the greatest shot blockers available numbers clearly indicate Wilt and Russell as such. Younger Nate probably was better shotblocker than Kareem, and he had a games with 14, 12, 3 x 9 vs Wilt's teams. Interestingly all of those numbers are prior to 1970 and after '69 post season I was not able to find any number for Nate vs Wilt's Lakers although we have far more available other data. For me this is a sign that after 1969 Nate although still very good in defense was not the shotblocker he used to be in his younger days. Probably he adjusted his game because of the multiple injuries he receive during his prime years.

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    Not only that but blown shots and layups too. Altered shots. Look at league-wide FG% and ask yourself why it increased pretty steadily when those guys got old / retired. Same guards, same game, but % went up. And you're talking about some great centers coming into the league in the '70s, Lanier, Elmore, Jabbar, Walton - just great great defense from these guys.

My friends and I all have clear, distinct memories of all-time greats like Earl Monroe, Walt Frazier, Hal Greer and even Oscar Robertson (who almost NEVER made a mistake on the court) traveling because they were driving to the hoop and looked over the wrong shoulder to see where those guys were. Flat spooked.

LeRoy Ellis was another Center that could block a lot of shots in certain games. When he was on he could really get after it.

But Russell and Chamberlain, those two specially, they would play some cat and mouse with guys. They would set a guy up, not really go after his shot, but then when they needed a stop they would really lower the boom and break a man's spirit at the same time.
    How about Gene Wiley, as well? At least according to nbastats, he had some crazy blocking games himself, including the craziest estimation I've ever read, in a game as a rookie when they estimated he had blocked around 20 shots in 23 minutes of play.

jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

Okay so I posted before, KU tracked Wilt's blocked shots even though the NCAA does not officially recognize them. 302 blocks in 48 games. Or 6.3 bpg. This in 40 minute games with no shot clock. Keep in mind all his other career stats (points, rebounds, assists) went up from his KU numbers once he entered the NBA due to the greater minutes on the floor and shot clocks. So one would assume his NBA blocks might be higher than 6.3 as well yes?

Well, based on NBAstats.net excel sheet, plus several additional games I had that they have not yet added, and a few corrections, I counted 109 NBA games (of random nature, playoff, reg season, etc) where Wilt Chamberlains blocked shot data was listed. I've been going through and double checking most of these numbers and while I've made a few corrections, most of their data seems on point when I cross reference with my own google-news-archive research so I thought I'd do a quick calculation. Some of these mention his blocks because they are incredible games with as much as 20+, some of these mention he only blocked as few as 1 shot so these aren't necessarily all his glorious games where they listed his block data. In those 109 games, I added up 976 blocks. Comes to an 8.95 bpg average. Take it for what it is. An average based on newspaper data (some game film of course but mostly newspapers). Plausible I guess, based on his KU data and how all his numbers sort of jumped in the NBA. But still, take it for what it is, incomplete data from sources that can never be 100% verified. It's worth pointing out though, it does sort of line up with the "career" figures Harvey Pollack estimated, and what Sonny Hill likes to mention.

6.3bpg KU - all 48 games, complete NCAA career avg

*EDIT - added more games:
    8.813bpg NBA - 112 random games out of his total 1205 (9% of his career) from mostly newspaper sources and a few game films

By the way for those that have downloaded the Wilt Chamberlain spreadsheet from NBA stats, I disregarded all the "estimate" numbers. And as said, corrected a few, and also added a few others to come up with my 110 game sample size and 986 count.
    HOW MANY IS GOALTENDING

wilt also blocked witches and mountain lions. Compared to CuckFTW I have exclusive video footage, not some skipbayless-from-the-50s misquoted articles.

the true MDE

Quote Originally Posted by r0drig0lac
    the true MDE

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    adjusted for tiny white guys getting blocked
    CavsFTW has posted the newspaper article in which Chamberlain blocked the 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy's first NINE straight shots. Keep in mind that Bellamy would measure over seven-feet in today's NBA.

CuckFTW getting shit on again. Wilt played against tiny ass white dudes. I could knock out Wilt with a swift left jab if he was alive now.