Default Patterson signs for 3 year 18 millions

Alright I guess.

Default Re: Patterson signs for 3 year 18 millions

Cap situation is a little tight now. Signing Greivis may be a problem.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by T-Low
    I'd be surprised but I guess it depends on his market. I think the Raptors are ready to go with a drop in quality of backup PG mintues (going from Vasquez to Williams) to get these other guys signed.

Having only Amir and Hansbrough at PF with no backup C would be an ugly frontcourt situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    I'd be surprised but I guess it depends on his market. I think the Raptors are ready to go with a drop in quality of backup PG mintues (going from Vasquez to Williams) to get these other guys signed.

Having only Amir and Hansbrough at PF with no backup C would be an ugly frontcourt situation.
    Everybody's favorite is still around

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

Exactly. Plus a soft touch. + 1 Post

Patterson is a big that can score. An outlet.

Val/Amir/Hansborough excel in the Rebound duties of the big role.

Very good signing.

Despite my "rant" on the draft pick... I do admire maintaining a good consistent core...

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by T-Low
    Maybe .... it really depends on the dollar for Vasquez.

If Patterson sets a $6Million mark...Grivis must know what is on the table.

Great heart player with an unorthadox shooting style and basket attack may not generate Demar Derozan money type offers from any team i.e. ($9Million)

There are two very easy scenario's to offset this.

1) MLSE agrees to go into Luxury Tax ( $69.5 Million cap $77Million tax threshold) just a little bit for just a little while fully understanding that next season : 1) Landry Fields, 2) Chuck Hayes 3) Hansborough and 4) Sweet Lou all come off the books.

There should be enough there to accomodate the raises due to Val / Ross plus some.

2) The Team Option on Amir has been very quiet.

Amir is a great heart guy - I love what he brings to the Raptors; but a little older playing through ankle injuries all the time. He's no spring chicken and Patterson may push him for 1st team minutes.

Amir may be quietly negotiating less money (< $7M ) for more years and a front office job down the road. Money would then be at cap under Luxury.

Local High School Star

Per above if another website is trustworthy.

Assume Vasquez / Patterson / DeColo

Assume 2nd rounder makes roster.

Buycyks is cut July 22

15 Players under contract - NBA standard.

---

DeMar DeRozan $9,500,000.00*
    Amir Johnson $7,000,000.00*
    Kyle Lowry $12,000,000.00*
    Chuck Hayes $5,958,750.00*
    Landry Fields $8,500,000.00*
    Steve Novak $3,445,947.00*
    Jonas Valanciunas $3,678,360.00*
    Tyler Hansbrough $3,326,235.00*
    Patrick Patterson $6,000,000.00*
    Terrence Ross $2,793,960.00*
    Greivis Vasquez [COLOR="Red"]$6,000,000*[/COLOR]
    Nando De Colo $900,000.00*
    Lou Williams $ 5,450,000
    1st round rookie $1,300,000.00*
    2nd round rookie $ 950,000

~ $76,840,000.00

Objectively, the signing itself, I like PP but he hasn't produced like a 6M player, I guess this deal also factors in his potential. What I don't understand is PP is restricted so why not let the market determine his price? there's nothing to lose, best case scenario he signs elsewhere for less and we match it and save a mill or two. Worst case someone else overpay him and we can just let him walk and use that money on McRob, Diaw or Hawes, I don't even mind getting Ed Davis back.

Now considering out roster, among our starters that could use an upgrade, Amir is a better starter than TRoss, thus I'd rather spent that money on a Starting SF (PJ Tucker?) than a back-up PF.

Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

Bit steep for my liking.

I really like what Pat did last season but like BK said we should have let the market test this one and either get him cheaper or let him go and go after a similar player in Ed Davis.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
    Bit steep for my liking.

I really like what Pat did last season but like BK said we should have let the market test this one and either get him cheaper or let him go and go after a similar player in Ed Davis.
    Ed Davis does not space the floor. I also feel it was a bit on the expensive side, but Masai is showing that he's willing to reward players that want to play for the raps and keep the chemistry. I anticipate Vasquez to be signed soon, and then time to look for a sf.

I'm very impressed with how quickly Masai has done work, prioritizing the keys from last season's success. It's more time to build chemistry and hopefully our guys are putting in work to surpass last season. If Val and Ross show even the slightest uptick in production, and Lou Williams can regain form, it could be a great year. Hopefully we can avoid the injury bug too.

Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Put beside Channing Frye's 4 year 32 million dollar deal, Patterson at 6 mill per is making Ujiri looking like a genius.
    If he can get Vaz for 4.5 per for three years I will be really impressed.

I'm still waiting for Tucker at Mid level.

lowry, vaz, byucks
    derozen, sweet lou fields
    ross, Tucker Fields Cabaclo
    Amir Patterson Handsb Cabaclo
    Val Hayes/Nogeiuro

Great 9 man rotation. Fields, handsbro and hayes for depth and experience. Bruno and Bebe for youth and development. Bebe could get a little time when in need of length and shot blocking. Low post defence will be chuck. Energy/offensive rebounding and pick and roll defence will be handsbro. This team would be much more rested this year. Lowry and Derozen would be able to play less minutes.

Local High School Star

Yes I agree with what you say but Tucker isn't signed.

(I am not sure I would want to give the MLE to Tucker but we could debate who).

The key point is we are thin at SF and despite rotations between the 2-3 any injury to Derozan / Ross leads to over usage on the other non injured and surplus playing time on Landry Fields / Lou Willams and our 1st round draft choice project.

I like Derozan or Ross at the 2/3 if one is sick or hurt.

I like Lou Williams time on court at the two... he is not a 3..

The absence of Salmons is being felt - as good/bad/indifferent his performance was...