Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #31
moongaze
LeLoser

Default Re: any chess players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMcDonald
Who cares about bullet Magnus just took 2nd in a tournament that actually matters.

I'm not a big fan of bullet but it's fun to watch. That tournament was epic. Down 20 points with 20 minutes left. Won 19 games in a row to complete the comeback:
https://lichess.org/blog/Ws917iQAAH0...s-titled-arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
I'd appreciate tips if anyone knows how to get good at chess. I always enjoyed it but I can't beat the computer on my imac application. I always play on hard and it's impossible. The computer always wins.

Yeah, like DJ said , even grandmasters get crushed by the best chess engines. Don't play the computer its worthless really. Lichess.org is probably the best site to **** with for improvement because everything is free. Do the training puzzles on there, study openings and play others. I'd advise studying openings last because starting out its more important to understand tactics that bogging your mind down with so much information.
moongaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #32
DJMcDonald
Sixers Ambassador ;)

Studying mid and end games is far more important than openings. If you want to get better through experience, play others online.

The most basic principles is to control the center, develop your pieces, and protect your king.

Don't move your pieces twice until you're ready to defend or attack, don't bring out your queen too early, develop your knights before bishops, and (not always the best, but 90% of the time it is) castle. Don't make any moves unless they serve a purpose. Don't over-extend your pawns, they're crucial in controlling the center. In theory, all pawns are worth 1, but a D pawn is worth much more than an A pawn.

As the game develops, you should look to control open files with your rooks or sometimes your queen. If their queen is dominating you, and your queen isn't doing anything, look to exchange queens. It simplifies the game and is useful in learning how to play without relying on it.

Idk about lichess, but on chess.com you can analyze previous games, and they will tell you when you made a bad move, and which move was better. Learning where you went wrong and what you could've done to capitalize will be a massive help.
DJMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:11 PM   #33
moongaze
LeLoser

Quote:
Studying mid and end games is far more important than openings

Disagree. If you don't know how to properly respond to openings youll end up in bad positions shortly and the game will be lost midgame. Beginners often fall prey to gambit and slick openings. The opening id say is the most important for a beginner to study. For a more seasoned player perhaps midgame and endgames are better to study more.

Lichess has computer analysis for free.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #34
Akrazotile
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongaze
Disagree. If you don't know how to properly respond to openings youll end up in bad positions shortly and the game will be lost midgame. Beginners often fall prey to gambit and slick openings. The opening id say is the most important for a beginner to study. For a more seasoned player perhaps midgame and endgames are better to study more.

Unless your opponent is over 2100 it’s very unlikely he’s gonna be really booked up on openings. Even if a lower rated player has memorized some opening move orders to get a slight advantage, there arent any openings that provide enormously slanted evaluations to the point he doesnt even hve to be good to finish you off. The outcome in amateur level games rarely comes down to opening prep. Unless you simply fall for an opening trap. BUt rather than spending time studying the countless chess openings, its better IMO to just lose to a few traps when youre starting and learn from that.

Whereas rook end games end up on the board very often regardless of the level of competition. The casual/amateur player is definitely better off learning endgame fundamentals than trying to memorize opening move orders IMO.

Last edited by Akrazotile : 04-14-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Akrazotile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #35
DJMcDonald
Sixers Ambassador ;)

Quote:

Openings rely heavily on theory. If they waste their time studying all of the possible outcomes of the first 8-10 moves, they'll have no idea what to do after that. Midgame and endings are way more tactical, as long as they have the basics down in the opening they'll be fine. A rookie doesn't need to know all the possible outcomes of the Sicilian Najdorf, because 9/10 times their opponent is just gonna play e4 or d4.

So lets say a 900 player learns an opening that most people around their level don't know, it gets them to the 1200 mark. What are they gonna do when their opponent knows not to accept the gambit? They'll be clueless and be completely outmatched after the first 10 moves, will never be able to make progress and will move on to checkers or connect 4.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #36
moongaze
LeLoser

Quote:
Openings rely heavily on theory. If they waste their time studying all of the possible outcomes of the first 8-10 moves, they'll have no idea what to do after that. Midgame and endings are way more tactical, as long as they have the basics down in the opening they'll be fine. A rookie doesn't need to know all the possible outcomes of the Sicilian Najdorf, because 9/10 times their opponent is just gonna play e4 or d4.

So lets say a 900 player learns an opening that most people around their level don't know, it gets them to the 1200 mark. What are they gonna do when their opponent knows not to accept the gambit? They'll be clueless and be completely outmatched after the first 10 moves, will never be able to make progress and will move on to checkers or connect 4.

I didn't say spend all your time on it and learning all the outcomes. Having a good understanding of how to play against certain openings plays out into the result of the rest of the game. I primarily play e4 with white with attacks directed at f7. playing against Sicilian and French defense, I often find my attacks stymied and my pieces in bad positions because of lack of better knowledge of how to attack those black openings. I look at my games and there's a clear difference in win percentage based on the opponent's opening. It's harder to win a game when you're playing from behind for most of it. Openings come before the midgame. I'm not sure how you can say, don't focus on the opening, just pay attention to the midgame. I'm not advocating not paying attention to the midgame but when building a house you don't neglect the foundation.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:04 PM   #37
moongaze
LeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrazotile
Unless your opponent is over 2100 its very unlikely hes gonna be really booked up on openings. Even if a lower rated player has memorized some opening move orders to get a slight advantage, there arent any openings that provide enormously slanted evaluations to the point he doesnt even hve to be good to finish you off. The outcome in amateur level games rarely comes down to opening prep. Unless you simply fall for an opening trap. BUt rather than spending time studying the countless chess openings, its better IMO to just lose to a few traps when youre starting and learn from that.

Whereas rook end games end up on the board very often regardless of the level of competition. The casual/amateur player is definitely better off learning endgame fundamentals than trying to memorize opening move orders IMO.

I've played over 10,000 games online and seen a bunch of games. I can say for sure that I've seen a lot of games lost because the opponent doesn't know how to respond to blacks defense. Their offense becomes weak and it affects everything after that. They play from behind and have bad positions that affects them for the rest of the game As black, they don't understand what white is doing and are out of position to defend it. This is just me. I wouldn't recommend that a person startibg off playing chess spend more time on the middle and ending parts of Gabe's because their lack of knowledge of how to form attacking and defending plans will put them at a disadvantage at those stages.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:42 AM   #38
DJMcDonald
Sixers Ambassador ;)

Quote:
I didn't say spend all your time on it and learning all the outcomes. Having a good understanding of how to play against certain openings plays out into the result of the rest of the game. I primarily play e4 with white with attacks directed at f7. playing against Sicilian and French defense, I often find my attacks stymied and my pieces in bad positions because of lack of better knowledge of how to attack those black openings. I look at my games and there's a clear difference in win percentage based on the opponent's opening. It's harder to win a game when you're playing from behind for most of it. Openings come before the midgame. I'm not sure how you can say, don't focus on the opening, just pay attention to the midgame. I'm not advocating not paying attention to the midgame but when building a house you don't neglect the foundation.
Most players from the 800-1200 levels dont have a grasp on any openings at all, my point was that studying openings will help you gain an advantage in those games, but that would halt your progression in the mid and endgame. You don't learn when you're winning all the time. All you should do when you're starting off for the opening is 1. Try to control the center. 2. Develop your pieces. 3. Protect your king. I didn't say to neglect openings completely, you just shouldn't study them right away. Ask any of the GMs how to improve, and they will say 1. Study the end game. And 2. Study the midgame. Programming yourself to play the first 5-10 moves won't help if you don't understand why you make them and the effect it will have later on, it's much more beneficial to play organically and grow from there.

Unrelated, I think Magnus was streaming that tourney comeback you were talking about. I dont care much for bullet, but Eric Hansen makes great content.
https://youtu.be/VFaCS6KAktE
Old 04-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #39
moongaze
LeLoser

Quote:
Most players from the 800-1200 levels dont have a grasp on any openings at all, my point was that studying openings will help you gain an advantage in those games, but that would halt your progression in the mid and endgame. You don't learn when you're winning all the time. All you should do when you're starting off for the opening is 1. Try to control the center. 2. Develop your pieces. 3. Protect your king. I didn't say to neglect openings completely, you just shouldn't study them right away. Ask any of the GMs how to improve, and they will say 1. Study the end game. And 2. Study the midgame. Programming yourself to play the first 5-10 moves won't help if you don't understand why you make them and the effect it will have later on, it's much more beneficial to play organically and grow from there.

Unrelated, I think Magnus was streaming that tourney comeback you were talking about. I dont care much for bullet, but Eric Hansen makes great content.
https://youtu.be/VFaCS6KAktE

Fair enough. I understand the arguments.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #40
VictorMosquito
\_(ツ)_/

How good are you guys? I used to play state wide tournaments years ago when I was in a chess club, and would like to get back into it and play some matches. Any takers?
VictorMosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #41
moongaze
LeLoser

I'm ok. My peak rating on lichess is 2044 on rapid 10 minutes with no increment. I believe that was like 97-98.4 percentile , I forget which one, meaning only 1.6-3 percent of players had a higher rating. That was back in summer of 2016. I haven't been that good since. 10 minutes , 0 increment is where I seem to perform best at. I've been playing mostly 3 check and 2 minute bullet recently . I'll play you if you want to do king of the hill, three check or we can do 3 mins with 2 second increment or 10 mins no increment.

https://lichess.org/@/moongaze you can send me a message and a challenge

Last edited by moongaze : 04-18-2018 at 04:40 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: