Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Why Isn't There As Many Street Ballers in the NBA??

havent read the replies but if a streetballer were that good, likely he would have been straightened out and playing for an organized team. i think a lot of and 1 guys are good but probably couldnt make the league and a lot of them are undersized/short as well. they probably dont have great jumpers anyway, the moves the pull on the park cant be done on nba defenders

National High School Star STelfair31's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cheto
    Because they suck.
    they'd woop ya a$$ in one on one

anyone kno why an NBA squad took a chance on Rafer?? didn't he do a streetball move in one NBA game and Van Gundy pulled him??

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by STelfair31
    Why isn't there any street ballers from AND1 in the NBA other than Rafer "Skip To My Lou" Alston??? Them guys are crazy but when you watch on a fastbreak none of them hustle back... can any of y'll answer this question....

If it was NBA all-stars vs AND1... I'm takin NBA but i think it would be close....

In a college game length i think the score would be like 120 easy... for both teams

Streetballers are modern day Globetrotters

they have some nice moves but they arent ballers

A good division one team would own the AndOne crew.

A few years back Bone Collector (a solid streetballer by any creed) played for a small school in NYC and was quickly nicknamed 'the Turnover Collector' by his teammates. The coach stuck with him because of the obvious potential but there is a disconnect between the street game ang running in a structured system

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by STelfair31
    anyone kno why an NBA squad took a chance on Rafer?? didn't he do a streetball move in one NBA game and Van Gundy pulled him??

Rafer showed a lot of ability at Fresno State

that got him a longer look but then even self-admittantly he said he needed to learn how to play the game 'properly' before he could seriously contend for an NBA roster spot no matter how many broken ankles he left in his wake.

Serious playground baller Sean77's Avatar

True, many streetballers can't cut in the L, but the reverse is sometimes true too. There was one streetballer that punished Stackhouse (got 47 points on Stack) in a game back when Stackhouse was still All-Star caliber. Can't remember his name, and he was only mentioned a few times in the papers before someone ran interference for Stack and put a gag order on the story. And1 mentioned it on one of their videos but bleeped it out everytime they said Stack's name due to the gag order. Typical....

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean77
    True, many streetballers can't cut in the L, but the reverse is sometimes true too. There was one streetballer that punished Stackhouse (got 47 points on Stack) in a game back when Stackhouse was still All-Star caliber. Can't remember his name, and he was only mentioned a few times in the papers before someone ran interference for Stack and put a gag order on the story. And1 mentioned it on one of their videos but bleeped it out everytime they said Stack's name due to the gag order. Typical....

this is true, I've seen NBA guys and ex-NBA guys get owned at Rucker Park in the EBC. It is tough to beat people at their own game (and they are different games).

but at the end of the day, who would win out?

HeartHustleHope

Because it's ok to try and break someones ankles every trip down the floor but you can't do that in the NBA. And most are just not good enough, only the Professor?

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by imjustlikemusiq
    The only other player that could have made it in the NBA from And 1, aside from Alston, is Alimoe AKA The Black Widow (Dont remember his real name), I dont know how he got mixed up on the way in his life, but, the guy is ill. Hes too old to get a shot now, though, nobody is going to give a 28 year old with no NBA experience an invite to training camp, but he is better than Alston is and ever was. Im talking about a 6-7 guy with the ball handling skill that mirror those of most NBA point guards, he has a perimeter game and post moves. Hes not obsessed on crossing people up, doing "moves", he doesnt carry the ball, etc.
    Is Alimoe really 6'7"? I knew he was pretty up there and all, but I thought he was like 6'4". Not that three inches is -that- big of a difference, but still.. I didn't know he was 6'7".

Blu Ray

I always thought AO could've made it. He was always the pass first PG on the tour, at least he had the right mentality.

I don't doubt that most of these guys can get a bucket or two in a real NBA game, but that's even stretching it a bit.

Speak To Me Cleanly imjustlikemusiq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean77
    AO tried out for the Sonics some time ago, they said he had decent PG skills but his overall body strength wasn't up to par.

Everyone talks about Skip but don't forget Starbury was the man AND1's early days. Jamall Tinsley and Smush were well known streetballers too, I don't know if Tinsley was AND1. DC's got this one cat named White Chocolate, everytime AND1 comes to DC he has a good game against them. He's playing in a minor league right now, on that Maryland team that got the 7'8" dude from China.
    I live like 10 minutes from White Chocolate, dude is a crybaby bum, he plays for the Maryland Nighthawks and won that pathetic show on MTV a few years back, Ive played in pick up games with White Chocolate, he never stops crying, hes also much worse than i would have expected

Speak To Me Cleanly imjustlikemusiq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    Tyrone Evans.

Jerry Tarkanian came to the Rucker to see Al and Skip play. Tark fell in love with both. Tell them if they went to a JUCO and did what they were supposed to in class they would get a free ride at Fresno State.

We all now how it turned out for Skip.

Al went to a JUCO called Sullivan. In his first few games with the team he averaged something in the area of 20 points 5 boards and 5 assists. This was the first time Al played ball for nothing in years.

He quit the team and school a few months into the season to return to NYC. He was playing for nothing but a scholarship so he was broke. He decided he'd rather go back home and plays for money/gifts on the streets. He figured the NBA would eventually notice just like Tark did. Sadly, the days of NBA scouts watching the parks for possible prospects are long gone so Al never got a second chance.
    Ah... thats a shame. Thanks for the update dude.

do u see any street ballers in the future goin and having an impact in the league.... scouts don't really go to the playgrounds anymore why??

I actually played with The Helicopter once... he can't shoot for sh*t.

I rule the local playground Inspector Rick's Avatar

Same reason those knife throwers from circuses aren't hi level government assassins. Its a show for the most part, different ball game altogether.