Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Default Re: Knicks trade Jr Smith and Shump to cavs

Kinda upset that we lost Shumpert. Not that I think he's a great player(far from that) and he was always vastly overrated by Knicks fans but he is a very good defender which could have been used in the future.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Kinda upset that we lost Shumpert. Not that I think he's a great player(far from that) and he was always vastly overrated by Knicks fans but he is a very good defender which could have been used in the future.
    He hasnt been a good defender in years

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    I really liked the kid... but again, not the cerebral type of player Jackson desires. Kid let his emotions get the best of him in pressure situations. He'll be better off on a team that's more solid (dare I say Cavs are more solid after this?).

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

Seeing how the Nuggets got 2 1st round picks for Timofey Mozgov, who will be a FA this summer, I'm not buying that all we could get was a 2019 2nd round pick and an exception. Sorry. Spare me the Kool Aid. just sayin.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    Seeing how the Nuggets got 2 1st round picks for Timofey Mozgov, who will be a FA this summer, I'm not buying that all we could get was a 2019 2nd round pick and an exception. Sorry. Spare me the Kool Aid. just sayin.
    Simply put they didnt give up their own 2 1st round picks they gave up Memphis and OKC picks.

Mosgov is needed and the picks werent going to be needed. They didnt have to take back an unwanted injured player, contract JR then Shumps still injured was the desirable piece. This was the price to pay for getting rid of JR. Do I think they could have gotten picks but honestly would they have been really glorified 2nd rounders anyway? They took the cap space for this year and next year instead of the picks.

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    Simply put they didnt give up their own 2 1st round picks they gave up Memphis and OKC picks.

Mosgov is needed and the picks werent going to be needed. They didnt have to take back an unwanted injured player, contract JR then Shumps still injured was the desirable piece. This was the price to pay for getting rid of JR. Do I think they could have gotten picks but honestly would they have been really glorified 2nd rounders anyway? They took the cap space for this year and next year instead of the picks.
    A big man was needed. Mozgov is never "needed" by an NBA team lol I'm still not buying that you can't get more than a 2nd round pick 4 years from now for a former 6th man of the year and an expiring contract. Sorry. You gotta have better savvy than that. I'm pretty sure when the Knicks gets hosed on trades, opposing fans say to themselves "no way you can do that" and then the Knicks oblige. Nobody would have thought you could ever get a team dumb enough to trade a #1 for Bargnani but lo and behold lol. Knicks need to find that other team as dumb as them. Either way, like you said, it's done. Phil has his clean slate. MORE than enough cap space and new TV money probably will add to that.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    A big man was needed. Mozgov is never "needed" by an NBA team lol I'm still not buying that you can't get more than a 2nd round pick 4 years from now for a former 6th man of the year and an expiring contract. Sorry. You gotta have better savvy than that. I'm pretty sure when the Knicks gets hosed on trades, opposing fans say to themselves "no way you can do that" and then the Knicks oblige. Nobody would have thought you could ever get a team dumb enough to trade a #1 for Bargnani but lo and behold lol. Knicks need to find that other team as dumb as them. Either way, like you said, it's done. Phil has his clean slate. MORE than enough cap space and new TV money probably will add to that.
    You're opinion that Moz wasnt needed but obviously he was because someone traded for him giving up 2 first.

I guess Knick fans value Jr more than the rest of the league but no one wanted him even after the 6th man award. Shump hasnt progressed either. When was the last time the Knicks had a hot commodity and was fleeced then I can see it.

You're opinion that Moz wasnt needed but obviously he was because someone traded for him giving up 2 first.

I guess Knick fans value Jr more than the rest of the league but no one wanted him even after the 6th man award. Shump hasnt progressed either. When was the last time the Knicks had a hot commodity and was fleeced then I can see it.
    That would be Ariza.

maybe we do have players who lost their value...but lets take a look at denver for a quick sec

they took the house from us in the carmelo trade
    the got afflalo for next to nothing (fournier and another 2nd round pick...both unproven at the time of trade), where if we had tried to get afllalo...we probably trade an arm and a leg
    they trade mazgov for 2 first rounders ...not 1...but 2 for an expirer non the less..ibet if the knicks were in the same scenerio..we'd probably be begging for just 1 pick and end up with a 2nd rounder...again

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluechox2
    maybe we do have players who lost their value...but lets take a look at denver for a quick sec

they took the house from us in the carmelo trade
    the got afflalo for next to nothing (fournier and another 2nd round pick...both unproven at the time of trade), where if we had tried to get afllalo...we probably trade an arm and a leg
    they trade mazgov for 2 first rounders ...not 1...but 2 for an expirer non the less..ibet if the knicks were in the same scenerio..we'd probably be begging for just 1 pick and end up with a 2nd rounder...again
    So why do you suspect that is because it seems every single trade we do we get the short end of the deal no matter who is in charge.

I don't agree with all of the Shump hate in this thread, although I think it was absolutely necessary to trade him. The problem with a player like Shumpert and his public perception is that he is a product of the team. We know his strength: perimeter defense. He's athletic but not a strong offensive player.

On a team with poor offense and defense, his skills don't get a chance to standout because everything is a mess. He can't play ball the way that he specializes in because the team is so bad it requires more out of him, which he can't accomodate.

I think by going to a good basketball team like the Cavs, who have the scoring and interior size to overcome his flaws, we are going to see Shumpert start to shine again because he will be able to provide them the perimeter defense they need. People will start to see him for his strengths again now that he's on a good team.

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    So why do you suspect that is because it seems every single trade we do we get the short end of the deal no matter who is in charge.
    league wide collusion against the knicks (lol)...or everyone knows that the knicks FO is trigger happy with any change...there is one constant through all of the management change....and it starts with a D

The worst part? Now they'll play their hearts out, now that they left the Knicks. J.R. won't miss a 3 pointer against NY. It always happens. Just look at Tyson Chandler or Jamal Crawford. Effin-A.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo
    The worst part? Now they'll play their hearts out, now that they left the Knicks. J.R. won't miss a 3 pointer against NY. It always happens. Just look at Tyson Chandler or Jamal Crawford. Effin-A.
    I take it you didn't watch J.R.'s 0-5 debut. Shump will hopefully find his game.

Crawford was a good scorer when he joined the Knicks. He didn't get much better upon leaving - just joined a better team.

I'm hoping once this team gets it's identity straight, we can put a lot of bad memories to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by smoovegittar
    I take it you didn't watch J.R.'s 0-5 debut. Shump will hopefully find his game.

Crawford was a good scorer when he joined the Knicks. He didn't get much better upon leaving - just joined a better team.

I'm hoping once this team gets it's identity straight, we can put a lot of bad memories to bed.

Chandler?