Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ☆Official Nick Young Thread: Re-signs w/ the Lakers for 21.5m/4yrs/5.3m per year

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread on this yet.

How about good ol Swaggy P? What a bargain for 1.2 mil a year. I want to know what/ how you guys feel about Young? His play? Style of play? See him long term? What kind of role? What kind of Salary?

With all of these questions such as his role, his salary,
    His style of play, etc. Do you guys want him back ? Long term? How much would you guys feel is a good salary for him? What's too much? What's a contract you wouldn't think is worth keeping him? Do you eventually see him being our starting 2 guard, granted we have a star/superstars at other positions? Would you guys be okay/ want to see Nick in these Roles?

Reminder, he's on a 1.2 mil salary this year with a player option next year for I think the same amount.

My opinion? He's 28. I hope he takes the player option next year, if he doesn't, and we have to sign him or let him walk, I say we sign him to a 3-4 year deal that takes him to 32,33 years of age. I would be alright with him being a back up for the next 2, possibly starting at the 3, and after kobe Leaves, would think he would be great as our starting Sg.

Wouldn't want to pay him more than 8. That's the max. Would be hoping for 4-5 mil/ season.

Thoughts ?

Also, if you want, let's include Jordan Hill, Farmar, Blake, Meeks, Henry.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-n...rs/2014/06/18/

This needs to be done. I completely understand we have higher priorities right now, but part of having a team that can compete in every game is having a bench that can protect the cushion until starters return. We can't let this opportunity pass of keeping a full on shot taker and shot maker. If he can take 12-15 shots per game in about 25 minutes off the bench, we will be a competitive team. We need this guy. He's loyal. Loyalty is something we adhere to here in laker land.
    Last edited by $LakerGold; 06-21-2014 at 01:43 AM.

Default Re: Nick Young

I have always liked Nick Young, I have seen him play from WAY back.
    He has a ton of talent but horrible coaching is ruining his game, he has become sloppy and too free-wheeling to be a part of a team that is going somewhere (No we are not this year) I am concerned that he will try to play silly basketball when we get a good coach with a solid system and better players. (Damn, sounds like I'm asking for a whole lot now )

Not airballing my layups anymore Da Kobester's Avatar

Nick Young aka herky jerky now swaggy P playing consistent D.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    I have always liked Nick Young, I have seen him play from WAY back.
    He has a ton of talent but horrible coaching is ruining his game, he has become sloppy and too free-wheeling to be a part of a team that is going somewhere (No we are not this year) I am concerned that he will try to play silly basketball when we get a good coach with a solid system and better players. (Damn, sounds like I'm asking for a whole lot now )
    Agreed, I always have been a fan of his, I've always felt he just needed nurturing as a player and solid coaching and also a place where he felt at home, he needs something solid in his career, I think he looks very comfortable in LA (where I think he's from?), I just think he needs consistent patience and nurturing for him to become a good player, certainly has the talent just needs a better mindset on a consistent basis or for the rest of his career, he's been given freedom but what happens if there comes a coach who is more strict and wants him to become an all round player instead of just based on scoring offensively (although he does more than that it's certainly his appeal as a player and what he's been told to do without too much focus on anything else in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
    I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread on this yet.

How about good ol Swaggy P? What a bargain for 1.2 mil a year. I want to know what/ how you guys feel about Young? His play? Style of play? See him long term? What kind of role? What kind of Salary?

With all of these questions such as his role, his salary,
    His style of play, etc. Do you guys want him back ? Long term? How much would you guys feel is a good salary for him? What's too much? What's a contract you wouldn't think is worth keeping him? Do you eventually see him being our starting 2 guard, granted we have a star/superstars at other positions? Would you guys be okay/ want to see Nick in these Roles?

Reminder, he's on a 1.2 mil salary this year with a player option next year for I think the same amount.

My opinion? He's 28. I hope he takes the player option next year, if he doesn't, and we have to sign him or let him walk, I say we sign him to a 3-4 year deal that takes him to 32,33 years of age. I would be alright with him being a back up for the next 2, possibly starting at the 3, and after kobe Leaves, would think he would be great as our starting Sg.

Wouldn't want to pay him more than 8. That's the max. Would be hoping for 4-5 mil/ season.

Thoughts ?

Also, if you want, let's include Jordan Hill, Farmar, Blake, Meeks, Henry.
    I was wrapped when we signed him for some reason I've just always been a fan he's always had a lot of talent just hasn't really capitalised on that talent maybe saying he hasn't worked as hard is a bit too critical or harsh but I think you could say he hasn't worked hard enough to match the natural talent. He's someone who finally looks comfortable and free, but then if you are a good team do you want him feeling too free because of the way he can have brainfades and start jacking shots etc, it's a balancing act, I think he could be a very good sixth man I'd like if he consistently has a mindset based on his all around game and improving. I would like about 3-5 sounds about right to me to pay him, anything more depending on what he shows in the remainder of the next year or two but at this stage I wouldn't go any further than 6 million per year.

I hope he stays for his player option and I think he will or maybe that's more so just hoping he will, he could get paid more I imagine similar to Earl Clark last year, but I think he realises he's finally been given an opportunity and is at home and set on improving his game and I would like it for him to stay. With that said he isn't 22 or 23, he still is 28, although he isn't that old he's not a young prospect really he's a decent age to continue improving but I don't know how much he can improve/whether it's too late with the time remaining for any dramatic improvement in mindset or actual play. I would like him as a sixth man more than anything when you need scoring he can provide it it's his specialty but if he is just scoring and not much else on a consistent basis then I'd rather him stick with being a sixth man, if he becomes a more well rounded player I don't see a problem with him being a starting shooting guard in 2-3 years but then he will be 30-31 and hopefully have a younger SG by then to replace Kobe (god knows who but oh well).

Last night's game against Philly was my case in point about the silly style of play of Nick Young, down the stretch he was doing things that made no sense, forcing the ball, trying to create what wasn't there. He's a much better player than that, he knows better but he's caught up in 'Antoni's lack of direction, free wheeling style.
    Watching the Lakers at the end of close games is painful for me. I have never seen such a lack of strategy, fundamentals or even general understanding of how to close out a game from an NBA coach with more than a year on his resume. Some of it is simple things such as when there are just over 2 minutes left in the game and the opponent has a 2 on 1 fast break. You only have 1 team foul, the smart thing to do is to teach your player to foul outside the 3pt line. This ends the break, stops the play, forcing them to take the ball out of bounds and most importantly saves 2 easy points in a close game.
    Instead, we gave up the points and those were a factor in the loss.
    I can't tell you how many games I have won with that being a factor.
    Close games should be a chess match with a team lining up a play to get a high quality shot, the shot they really want....and rebounders should crash the boards to get 2nd chance opportunities.
    Instead of a precision chess match, 'Antoni continues to play Pinball, letting guys heave up whatever crap they want and hope enough of it goes in......this will not win you enough close games to get you anywhere, and a good coach will eat you for lunch.
    I can only pray....dream, that Jimmy will let someone else pick the next coach.

Home of the 16

I'm hearing that Nick Young is opting out?

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    I'm hearing that Nick Young is opting out?
    Apparently so, think he said in an interview or something he most likely would be, considering he's earning 1.2 million if he opts in I would find it surprising if he opted back in, could get offered a lot more by other teams (but I'd hope he'd stay at a discounted rate he seems to have finally found a place where he is comfortable if he wants to risk that for money then that's his prerogative)

Would be idiotic to opt in, he is 28 years old and on top of his game. This is his last "big" contract.

Default Re: ☆Official Nick Young Thread: Nick Young Loving Lala land

Would not pay a kings ransom for the guy of course but would love to find a way to keep him.

Real tough year for the Lakeshow...hope we have a good draft and off season.

Home of the 16

Default Re: ☆Official Nick Young Thread: Nick Young Loving Lala land

6th pick.

Default Nick Young willing to take discount to remain with lakers

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-n...rs/2014/06/18/

This needs to be done. I completely understand we have higher priorities right now, but part of having a team that can compete in every game is having a bench that can protect the cushion until starters return. We can't let this opportunity pass of keeping a full on shot taker and shot maker. If he can take 12-15 shots per game in about 25 minutes off the bench, we will be a competitive team. We need this guy. He's loyal. Loyalty is something we adhere to here in laker land.

----------------
    oops wrong post. -$LG
    Last edited by $LakerGold; 06-21-2014 at 01:42 AM.

Default Re: Nick Young willing to take discount to remain with lakers

Do It Mitch!!!!

Very good NBA starter

if he signs a multi year deal for around 3 million a year, you'd have to take that bargain.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    if he signs a multi year deal for around 3 million a year, you'd have to take that bargain.
    I would say 3 years for his best interest if he's only taking 3 mil a year.
    4 years, just wouldn't be fair on the guy.

unless we structure a 4th year qualifying offer of course.

great asset.