Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Future D1 Dad

Default Re: Basketball coaching discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
    Of course.
    well, just read an article about whether or not it does any good. some say yes (which seems to make more sense) but others say it can lead to things like muscle fiber tears and such. i think it was a Slam article.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jbot
    well, just read an article about whether or not it does any good. some say yes (which seems to make more sense) but others say it can lead to things like muscle fiber tears and such. i think it was a Slam article.
    Working out and playing ball can also lead to injuries, but you're better off working out with proper technique, playing ball, and stretching properly than not. Most believe dynamic stretching should now be done prior to exercise, followed by static stretching after to help prevent injuries, muscle stiffness, etc.

Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

When I hold team practice, we run the offense and defensive sets the entire practice. I want to give these guys actual game situations that they'll face. I show them many different options they can do once they get the ball in the actual offensive set. Tedious but effective.

When I hold training, we strictly do physical workouts and skills development. I feel it helps their psyche and gives them confidence when they improve physically and skill development consists of properly boxing out and or properly sealing off a man on a PnR or PnP, catch & shoot off screens or dribble shoot off screens, and one of the most important things I do is show guys what exactly an open shot is cause most tend to think an open shot is when they are completely alone which is only partially true.

Also it's a challenge getting some of my team to distinguish between an open shot and taking a more difficult closer shot that's being challenged.

They feel if it's challenged but they're closer it's a better shot.

I wanna give 'em the but they are still learning.

Btw, I hate most drills as they are hardly EVER applicable to an in game situation, like silly ass close out "ball ball ball" drills, I see kids become so focused on saying "ball ball ball" that in the meantime they're getting the shit shook outta them cause they're programmed to scream "ball" while pumping their feet at the same time that they never actually focus on guarding the guy.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillyJakk
    When I hold team practice, we run the offense and defensive sets the entire practice. I want to give these guys actual game situations that they'll face. I show them many different options they can do once they get the ball in the actual offensive set. Tedious but effective.

When I hold training, we strictly do physical workouts and skills development. I feel it helps their psyche and gives them confidence when they improve physically and skill development consists of properly boxing out and or properly sealing off a man on a PnR or PnP, catch & shoot off screens or dribble shoot off screens, and one of the most important things I do is show guys what exactly an open shot is cause most tend to think an open shot is when they are completely alone which is only partially true.

Also it's a challenge getting some of my team to distinguish between an open shot and taking a more difficult closer shot that's being challenged.

They feel if it's challenged but they're closer it's a better shot.

I wanna give 'em the but they are still learning.

Btw, I hate most drills as they are hardly EVER applicable to an in game situation, like silly ass close out "ball ball ball" drills, I see kids become so focused on saying "ball ball ball" that in the meantime they're getting the shit shook outta them cause they're programmed to scream "ball" while pumping their feet at the same time that they never actually focus on guarding the guy.

What age do you coach.

I sort of agree with what you say about some drills. I guage my drills by wheather or not I can give my kids an quality answer to the question of "why are we doing this?" To me that's what makes or breaks a coach of kids is how well, how often, and how accurately he answers that question, wheather he's asked or not. You should constantly be explaining to kids why, that's what'll make them really digest what you're teaching.

Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    What age do you coach.

I sort of agree with what you say about some drills. I guage my drills by wheather or not I can give my kids an quality answer to the question of "why are we doing this?" To me that's what makes or breaks a coach of kids is how well, how often, and how accurately he answers that question, wheather he's asked or not. You should constantly be explaining to kids why, that's what'll make them really digest what you're teaching.
    10th Grade & Under AAU.

Most of the kids are underclassmen (8th/9th graders) who play up so they'll be
    more adjusted to the speed of the Varsity level HS game.

I'm always explaining (I'm sure to the point that they turn a deaf ear to me) why they're doing what they're doing, in hopes that they'll learn from it. Most cases they do.

Instead of face up defense, I teach my guys to play their man to his weak hand (which helps us force to's) simply because most guys their age (sometimes even to the professional levels) can't dribble as well w/ their off hand, ie., play a lefty to his right, play a righty to his left. There are some instances where lefties like to go right (like Manu) and some righties like to go left (like Durant) and some guys can just flat out handle the ball w/ both hands so we make adjustments accordingly.

Once gametime comes, they're usually on the bench saying "Oh, I see what you sayin', he can't go left, make him go left" and like clockwork the kid they're guarding starts turning over the ball.

The hardest part is getting guys to use their minds cause most of the game is all mental, once they do they'll be better players.

Anyway, back to the drills thing, I just think things like 3 man weave are useless cause there is never ever a situation in an actual game where guys will fastbreak in that fashion unless you're playing the Harlem Globetrotters.

I detest and stay away from things that are not actual basketball game related. I teach my guys to close out w/ poise, not "ball ball ball", and some don't get it now cause of how they were and are still being taught but the ones that get it tell me and show me all the time cause I see their game expanding.

What age group do you coach?

You must do drills, but I quit the 3 man weave because all it does is teach passing on the move, which is a no-no.

Our first 45 minutes are always fundamentals- ballhandling, shooting, jump stops, zig zag, pass thru the defense, free throws, sprints, water break. Every day. After they do this every practice, they get sick of it, but they become much better ballhandlers and develop habits, which is what you need to be doing.

I scream "jump stop" and "dont pass on the move" all the time, but I also practiced it daily. Saying it helps, but actually doing it helps more.

Also do Shell drill every day, and other drills like setting screens, boxing out, out of bounds plays, 5 on none offense, deny the wing, etc. Do a lot more half court stuff than fullcourt, tho as the season goes along I do more.

I coach 7th and 8th grade Catholic Youth Organization. We play in leagues and tournaments of all shapes and sizes though. We're limited to kids in the parish, and then 4 kids who aren't parish members, so long as the live within the parish district. So we're not exactly the cream of the crop, but we do have tryouts, so we're absolutely playing in a competitive manner. We've been very good for the past the 8 years that I've been involved. Winning the state 6 times, and even getting a New England title a couple years ago.

I teach a chop down close out, which is probably the same thing as you're poise approach. Short steps cut down on one's reaction time to changing directions.
    I do still warm up with a tight weave, three lines all within the key. I find that at that age things like passing and catching and moving are still all things that can be worked on. And I do occasionally do a full court three man weave that comes back as a two on one, which is really more of a full court fast break drill, it's just an element to get us into it.

Quote Originally Posted by WillyJakk
    10th Grade & Under AAU.

Most of the kids are underclassmen (8th/9th graders) who play up so they'll be
    more adjusted to the speed of the Varsity level HS game.

I'm always explaining (I'm sure to the point that they turn a deaf ear to me) why they're doing what they're doing, in hopes that they'll learn from it. Most cases they do.

Instead of face up defense, I teach my guys to play their man to his weak hand (which helps us force to's) simply because most guys their age (sometimes even to the professional levels) can't dribble as well w/ their off hand, ie., play a lefty to his right, play a righty to his left. There are some instances where lefties like to go right (like Manu) and some righties like to go left (like Durant) and some guys can just flat out handle the ball w/ both hands so we make adjustments accordingly.

Once gametime comes, they're usually on the bench saying "Oh, I see what you sayin', he can't go left, make him go left" and like clockwork the kid they're guarding starts turning over the ball.

The hardest part is getting guys to use their minds cause most of the game is all mental, once they do they'll be better players.

Anyway, back to the drills thing, I just think things like 3 man weave are useless cause there is never ever a situation in an actual game where guys will fastbreak in that fashion unless you're playing the Harlem Globetrotters.

I detest and stay away from things that are not actual basketball game related. I teach my guys to close out w/ poise, not "ball ball ball", and some don't get it now cause of how they were and are still being taught but the ones that get it tell me and show me all the time cause I see their game expanding.

What age group do you coach?

I also teach a directional defensive approach, although mine is more geared toward where the help is coming from and understanding what our whole defensive approach is. I have calls for traps in different spots that sometimes require funnells to the middle, other times to the baselines, and other times only to one baseline corner, so everyone is supposes to funnell to that side until it gets there.

Even if it doesn't work, my feeling is that getting kids to think about the game as a whole is a great approach. However it's still critical to devote time to individual skills. I wish I had more practice time.

I actually have this theory that kids today are better fundamentally, but have a much lesser feel for the scope of the game as a whole. And I think it's the result of the cheap and readily available hoops with the wheels. Kids shoot all the time. They'll even play horse, or double bounce, or rough, or even an occasional one on one or two on two with their neighborhood buddies. But the culture of heading up to a playground and fitting in, playing a role, and communicating seems to be worse than it was when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by thesnowman22
    You must do drills, but I quit the 3 man weave because all it does is teach passing on the move, which is a no-no.

Our first 45 minutes are always fundamentals- ballhandling, shooting, jump stops, zig zag, pass thru the defense, free throws, sprints, water break. Every day. After they do this every practice, they get sick of it, but they become much better ballhandlers and develop habits, which is what you need to be doing.

I scream "jump stop" and "dont pass on the move" all the time, but I also practiced it daily. Saying it helps, but actually doing it helps more.

Also do Shell drill every day, and other drills like setting screens, boxing out, out of bounds plays, 5 on none offense, deny the wing, etc. Do a lot more half court stuff than fullcourt, tho as the season goes along I do more.

Interesting take on the 3-man weave. I coach JV girls and the weave has been a staple in my practice plans for three years now. I think that with the weave, when properly completed, is a thing of beauty and helps to teach where/how to operate on the fastbreak. And yes, I did try the 5- man weave...once! That was my first year of coaching what a hot mess.

I do use the ball handle method of 15-20 mins everyday working the handles. I always stress at the end of the season what skills players need to work on and ball handling is tops. And as you know, only a few come back the next year with improved handles.

Last weekend we had a short skills intro where we worked on post and perimeter drills to help improve footwork; up and under, jab series, and swing series.

Saw a basketball once

I think it is always a good thing when coaches share ideas and philosophies about coaching basketball.

My background is in NCAA Division I men's basketball as a head and assistant coach at 7 different universities.

My business, CoachRB.com, provides extensive resources, advice, articles, video, and my experiences to help serious coaches improve their craft.

Feel free to post any questions that I may be able to help you with.

Also, access my web site, http://coachrb.com
    thanks,
    Randy Brown
    CoachRB

Quote Originally Posted by coachrb
    I think it is always a good thing when coaches share ideas and philosophies about coaching basketball.

My background is in NCAA Division I men's basketball as a head and assistant coach at 7 different universities.

My business, CoachRB.com, provides extensive resources, advice, articles, video, and my experiences to help serious coaches improve their craft.

Feel free to post any questions that I may be able to help you with.

Also, access my web site, http://coachrb.com
    thanks,
    Randy Brown
    CoachRB
    Thanks, coachRB. I agree. It is always a good idea when coaches are sharing ideas and philosophies about coaching basketball. It helps knowing that someone has covered some ground before you so you can bounce ideas around and grow. Also thanks for letting us pick your brian and allowing us to seek advice.

Quick question(s) 1). What is the best way to deal with fans and parents unrealistic expectations for the team and the parents child's playing time? Fans seem to think that we are going to go 20-0 every season, which would be nice if we had the talent. Some parents want their child to play 32 minutes ( I coach high school JV girls baskebtall) when they can barely play 2-3 minutes. What is the trick to dealing with these unrealistic expectations?

My 2nd question (and this is open to anyone) deals with rebounding. What drills can I use to help my players improve their rebounding, getting thougher in the paint, and remembering to blockout when going for rebounds?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by JellyBean; 08-23-2012 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBean
    Thanks, coachRB. I agree. It is always a good idea when coaches are sharing ideas and philosophies about coaching basketball. It helps knowing that someone has covered some ground before you so you can bounce ideas around and grow. Also thanks for letting us pick your brian and allowing us to seek advice.

Quick question(s) 1). What is the best way to deal with fans and parents unrealistic expectations for the team and the parents child's playing time? Fans seem to think that we are going to go 20-0 every season, which would be nice if we had the talent. Some parents want their child to play 32 minutes ( I coach high school JV girls baskebtall) when they can barely play 2-3 minutes. What is the trick to dealing with these unrealistic expectations?

My 2nd question (and this is open to anyone) deals with rebounding. What drills can I use to help my players improve their rebounding, getting thougher in the paint, and remembering to blockout when going for rebounds?

Thanks again.

Talking in my personal experience from what i see my father planning for his practices there is some good drills to explore. This is my favorite one.

- 12 players exercise. Put two teams of 6 players. Each team with their one basket. Then put 3 players shooting and 3 rebounding. When one of the players grab 10 rebounds (even with made baskets) switch that player for the shooting position with the one who shoot worst %.
    a) They will work to grab boards to shoot.
    b) The shooters will work to not go get boards, improving %.

Quote Originally Posted by Maga_1
    Talking in my personal experience from what i see my father planning for his practices there is some good drills to explore. This is my favorite one.

- 12 players exercise. Put two teams of 6 players. Each team with their one basket. Then put 3 players shooting and 3 rebounding. When one of the players grab 10 rebounds (even with made baskets) switch that player for the shooting position with the one who shoot worst %.
    a) They will work to grab boards to shoot.
    b) The shooters will work to not go get boards, improving %.

Thanks, Maga. I will try this drill out this season. Two more months. I can't wait until the season starts!!!

Hey fellow coaches. I am looking for some ideas for a team theme this year. Something that will fire up the players and our fan base. Any ideas?

So my best friend's oldest son just turned 7 this past summer. And after buying him the best hoop I could get my hands on, the adjustable full glass backboard retractable rim, and spending the summer and fall horsing around with him and his brother, who just turned 5, I was asked if I'd help coach them in our town youth center league.

Our team is the Under 8 league, and we're all 7 or 8, with the exception of Jake who just turned 5 beginning of December. Mike turned 7 in the summer. They're both monsters, like off the charts size wise.

We've got 10 kids. A very shy young black kid Brandon, is bone thin, but taller than Mike. Mike is our second tallest, and a beast. Casey is Mike's best friend, and he's no small guy, plus he's a very good ballhandler and passer already, and his brother is a 6-8 baseball prospect. After that we Gio, who's probably never gonna be great, but he's a scrappy little bastard that I'd go to war with every night.
    And my prized jewel. Dakota is good size, probably the fourth biggest on the team. He played football for me a summer ago, and he's okay there. But he's got two older brothers and a father who all love basketball. And he can really handle the thing. And I've become completely obsessed with accelerating this kid's development into a HS level PG even at 8.
    It's becoming an issue because I'm not even using him the same in practice as other kids. He's getting more detailed instruction. And I'm using him in drills differently from other kids, which I know isn't fair, but this kid could be really good, and I feel like I can help him. His parents and I have already started talking about working out in the summer, in a casual kind of way, like getting pick up games with the right kids.

We're really good. 4-0 so far, with none being close. When we started we were told double digit games wouldn't be common. That hasn't been true. 18-25 seems pretty good. But we're averaging 38. We're even running a fast break, which is just crazy.

We get allmost no practice time. An hour a week, usually on half a court only. I walked in with almost no idea how to coach kids this age. We started with just layup lines. Horseshoe drills. Shoelace pattern passing. We do a little zig zag dribbling. Now we're up to some pattern dribble pass shoot drills. This past practice we even split it to three lines and did some reaction decision making, with me and my buddy jumping on players and making the ball handler decide what to do.
    Defensively we're not allowed to press or double team, and a 2-3 zone is almost all we can do. Offensively, we've talked to our players about week spots in the zone. The high post. And we work on moving without the ball to spots on the wings. We do a lot of flash and go work without the ball. Mainly it's a lot of "get open".
    We're insanely positive. It's been a lot of fun. But if anyone has any ideas on what else to do coaching at this level, please chime in. I'll take any advice I can get. This is different than anything I've done before.