Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Great college starter

Default Why Did Jordan Retire In 93?

What are your thoughts? Here is a guy who is supposedly the ultimate competitor and winner. We all know he always wanted to top Magic's five rings. Why would he retire after three? For a guy whose ego is massive I just don't think he'd stop before getting five. Gambling is always brought up, and I think it might have had something to do with it. It was like he was exiled or something. Do you think someone like MJ can lose his desire, as he put it?

Banned

Default Re: Why Did Jordan Retire In 93?

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    What are your thoughts? Here is a guy who is supposedly the ultimate competitor and winner. We all know he always wanted to top Magic's five rings. Why would he retire after three? For a guy whose ego is massive I just don't think he'd stop before getting five. Gambling is always brought up, and I think it might have had something to do with it. It was like he was exiled or something. Do you think someone like MJ can lose his desire, as he put it?
    The murder of his father certainly was an issue. Maybe he ha dsomething we call burn out today. Very possible. He just needed a rest

Bol'd over

In before "It was a secret league-imposed suspension for gambling".

Just find one of the billion other threads on the subject, but be warned; They never end well.

I don't really care if there is some reason for it beyond what he said. His dad was killed and I'm sure that he was in a crisis, plus he was already crazy accomplished. That's enough reason for me.

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by beermonsteroo
    The murder of his father certainly was an issue. Maybe he ha dsomething we call burn out today. Very possible. He just needed a rest
    That's all I think it was and I think it was completely reasonable. I don't know how I would react to the death of a parent and I am roughly the age he was at retirement...

NBA rookie of the year

I think people need to understand something too ... Michael Jordan wasn't at that time just the biggest basketball player or even the biggest athlete on the planet.

He was one of the biggest celebrities period. Like Michael Jackson or Princess Diana, he could not just walk down the street without being mobbed. He could not just walk into a grocery store.

I recall one story where Jordan said he had to use a public restroom and while he's in the stall doing his "business", people were sliding photos underneath the stall for him to autograph, lol. The guy literally could not take a sh*t in peace.

I think that level of fame wore on him a bit. This is far beyond any basketball player today.

But really the main answer is his father's murder, no question. We are not talking about losing a parent to natural causes here ... we are talking about murder, that has to have a different kind of psychological effect.

No doubt it also drove him to baseball.

KevinDurant4MVP
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

His dad got killed due to his gambling debts.

[quote]Then in February of 1992, Jordan's gambling associate Eddie Dow was robbed of $20,000 and murdered just outside his home. In Dow's belongings they found photocopies of three checks that totaled $108,000

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDurant4MVP

Lets just say Jordan didnt hang around with the best crowd
    Source? And what's with the typos in the article?

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
    In before "It was a secret league-imposed suspension for gambling".

Just find one of the billion other threads on the subject, but be warned; They never end well.
    I don't buy that. Nobody else has been suspended for over a season and a half for anything. Even Ron Artest didn't get suspended for half as long for throwing punches at fans. Jordan's not going to get a near 2 season suspension for mere gambling. Especially considering he was the face of the league, the best player in the league, and a 3 time in a row world champion.

People just want to speculate.

wasteland
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

as far as i kno his old man always wanted him to be a baseball player. when he was murdered jordan retired from basketball and played baseball for a season if im not wrong... or season and a half or whatever. came back to nba afterthat and killed it with 3 more consecutive championships....
    at least i thought thats what the story was...

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Who cares.

He came back and dominated again.

I rule the local playground

Hey troll, try to use some common sense. I know being an idiot troll and using common sense is hard, but try.

You have a man thats worth millions and millions of dollars. What crime figures would do is THREATEN to kill someone first. If you think Jordan, who was extremely close to his father, wouldn't pay off a paltry gambling debt to save his father, or family member then you're an idiot. If someone threatened YOUR family members life, and you could EASILY afford to pay them off, what would you do? Or is this part of your stupid agenda to say that Jordan was not only a degenerate gambler, but wouldn't even pay off his debt to keep his father alive even if doesn't make any sense?

Of course it is. Moron.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
    Source? And what's with the typos in the article?
    http://old.disinfo.com/archive/pages...pg1/index.html

I rule the local playground

i came in here ready to post something like this.finally somebody in this forum knows what up. basically he was responsible for his father getting killed.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Mentally_Pretty
    i came in here ready to post something like this.finally somebody in this forum knows what up. basically he was responsible for his father getting killed.
    there's no proof of that and in todays world if there was it would be all over the news..

one poorly written article from a conspiracy website is not proof

remember court records are property of the public domain, yet no reporter looking to make a name for himself has bothered to report on this.