Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which statement is more inarguable : Vince is GOAT dunker or MJ is GOAT player?

Which statement would you think is more definitive:

Vince Carter is the greatest dunker in NBA history

Or

Michael Jordan is the greatest player of all time

Mugshot from SlyCooper Nilocon165's Avatar

Default Re: Which statement is more inarguable : Vince is GOAT dunker or MJ is GOAT player?

Probably Vince Carter. While I think that everybody should know that Jordan is the greatest of all time, I'm aware that there are many who think otherwise

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Default Re: Which statement is more inarguable : Vince is GOAT dunker or MJ is GOAT player?

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    Which statement would you think is more definitive:

Vince Carter is the greatest dunker in NBA history

Or

Michael Jordan is the greatest player of all time
    Quality or quantity?

It can be argued Shaq was the greatest dunker.

Both can be argued. But MJ's more solid as the GOAT than Vince because best dunker is a more subjective title and everyone has their own opinion of what makes a dunker good or bad.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    Both can be argued. But MJ's more solid as the GOAT than Vince because best dunker is a more subjective title and everyone has their own opinion of what makes a dunker good or bad.
    Same thing can be said about GOAT player. Sports is subjective in general

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeezy
    Same thing can be said about GOAT player. Sports is subjective in general
    Dunking is an art. There is no purpose to Vince doing a reverse 360 windmill to put the ball in the hole other than being fancy. Maybe some guy likes Shawn Kemp's power dunks more. Maybe some guy doesn't care about flair and likes Shaq cuz of his effectiveness and frequency of dunks? Who can really say?

Playing basketball can be artistic but its about winning the game. You're aiming for something. It's easier (but not easy) to measure this objectively.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    Dunking is an art. There is no purpose to Vince doing a reverse 360 windmill to put the ball in the hole other than being fancy. Maybe some guy likes Shawn Kemp's power dunks more. Maybe some guy doesn't care about flair and likes Shaq cuz of his effectiveness and frequency of dunks? Who can really say?

Playing basketball can be artistic but its about winning the game. You're aiming for something. It's easier (but not easy) to measure this objectively.
    Sure there is. There's eye test, individual awards, statistics, era, record removing a player, value to one's team......
    Who can really say?

Vince is just as regarded on every list as greatest dunker as Jordan is as greatest player. Google NBA's top (pick a number) and all have Vince at number one. That's pretty definitive to me

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Jordan. He had the greatest resume of individual statistics, accolades, and team success. No one has a perfect resume, but Jordan's comes closest to perfection.

Since my picks for GOAT player and dunker are Wilt and Carter, I'm inclined towards Carter (although these 2 statements are not necessarily connected).
    What seems definite to me is that since the GOAT dunker debate isn't anywhere near as hot and popular as the GOAT player one and you're not going to catch anywhere near as much flak if you pick a different dunker from Carter compared to picking a different player from Jordan, it does seem like a lot of people don't feel the need to belong to the majority and blindly pick the most popular choice regardless of their level of history knowledge and they seem to divert more from the most popular choice, thus making it seem more arguable a debate.

Decent college freshman

Honestly there are guys out there who have performed more spectacular dunks who are not in th nba

Could prime VC have been able to perform them as well? We will never know

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyer23
    Honestly there are guys out there who have performed more spectacular dunks who are not in th nba

Could prime VC have been able to perform them as well? We will never know
    Interesting point. IMO Carter is the GOAT dunker in the NBA, but there are clearly better dunkers who have never played an NBA game. The same can't be said about MJ, he is simply the GOAT in any league

NBA Superstar

Tough question.

Naming the best dunker in NBA history should probably be more arguable, since it's open to interpretation due to it basically being a piece of art, open to one's opinion.

However, it seems most arguments for greatest player of all-time often tend to skew toward similar realms of opinion and interpretation. For instance, how often does one bother to define precisely what makes a player the greatest of all-time? Are we referring to the person who played the game the best? In that case, will team championships—something frequently mentioned in GOAT discussions—always offer a direct correlation of that superior skill?

Personally, from my super limited scope, discussions regarding who the best dunker of all-time have typically been just about unanimously inarguable. There's always folks who can claim someone different ("I don't know man, Larry Nance just got it done, you know?") but such assertions don't seem to last much longer than someone posting Vince Carter's Top 100 Dunks mixtape that was created before his career was even halfway done.

But still, yeah, best dunker should probably be more open to interpretation but I don't know if it is, considering the lack of a clear and agreeable definition as to what makes a player the greatest. It seems the criteria for that distinction often has just as much room for interpretation in the eye of the beholder.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by fourkicks44
    Quality or quantity?

It can be argued Shaq was the greatest dunker.

Ilt is the goat in both

I rule the local playground Klay 3D's Avatar

Both statements are inarguable to me. I'm leaning towards MJ because he won more dunk contests than Vince and beat an alien squad.

Lebron's package size is inarguable though.