Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #16
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Default Re: Is Pat Riley a retard or simply full of himself?

Why so much Riley bashing? Is it not Wade that decided to come back early?
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #17
Silverbullit
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6

And it was Wade's decision not to undergo surgery!
Silverbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #18
picc84
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
http://www.miamiherald.com/594/story...terstitialskip

okay if Wade really had a very very severe shoulder injury, then that's bad and I hope Dwyane Wade takes the proper time to rehab and come back 100%. because when he's not getting phantom fouls, he's actually one of the better NBA talents to watch

but seriously now... if they knew his injury was so bad, why did they rush Wade back for the playoffs last season?

a bone headed move even if Wade insisted that he had to be tied up in a sack to stop him from helping his team play (and what good that did for them against the Bulls) Riley should have taken a stance and shut him down for the season.

but now after the Heat are losing badly, performing miserably with Shaq and Wade together, Riley reveals his "bombshell."

so he's either stupid or an extreme egomaniac who is so arrogant, he will never utter that his team is simply underachieving and always finds a scapegoat

but if faced with a choice between incompetence or being reviled, the latter is the lesser of two evils.

so when is his next major reconstructive surgery?

I dont like Riley and I think you're right. He's an arrogant egomaniac. However it was Wade's decision to come back also. If Dwyane said he wasnt ready, he wouldn't have been out there. Blame it on love of the game, or competitive fire, or whatever, but he made the decision to come back, which is fine, but dont just blame Riley. Its not like he ordered him back. Wade could have Riley's job if he wanted it - he's the soul of the organization.

And also, look, i'm really sorry that Wade has got to go through this, I love him as a player and he seems like a good guy. But no other player has gotten an injury pass for bad seasons, no matter how hurt they've been. I've seen him doing the same tomahawk jams, flying layups, and rocketing down the lane I always have - if he's been hurting, and apparently he has, then it obviously hasnt been affecting him *that* much. The man is dropping 30 regularly and put 48 on Orlando. I dont want to hear about how hurt he is to excuse anything thats happened this year or last, becuase it seems like thats the road this is going down. At least not until the same courtesy is extended universally.

In conclusion, **** Pat Riley and I hope you get better Dwyane.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #19
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

i don't know about this particular season, but there are some things that riley is very good at. he's a great motivator and does a tremendous job with team unity and focus. he's a fantastic defensive teacher / strategist. he hires great assistants. he rides the refs as well as any coach. he's great at getting his post guys touches and running inside outside sets without becoming too predictable. he's one of the best conditioning coaches in the league. he understands when to ride a hot hand.

he's got weaknesses too. he is arrogant and abrassive. he's over-loyal to his favorite players - to the point where he'll ride the horse that got him there while it's head is in a producer's bed and it's feet are being turned into glue. at the same time he's self-centered enough to want to see his name in lights alongside his players.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #20
Who'sKobe
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Wade the one who suggested coming back? I realize he probably needed to be checked out by the team's doctors/etc, but the organization could've thought, "Well, if he feels OK, let him come back"

I think Riley's just being honest, nothing more.
Who'sKobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #21
Mathius
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
Riley has that Larry Brown problem in that they are so full of themself and their ways, heavily favoring veterans, even washed up ones w/o developing/playing younger players because they dont trust them, and theyre ego's wont allow them to adapt.

Actually, Riley is one of the better guys at letting rookies play. I mean that should be obvious. A rookie Magic Johnson helped him earn a title, a rookie Patrick Ewing flourished under Riley, and a rookie Dwayne Wade stepped into the starting lineup.

That's not to mention guys like Haslem, Dorrell Wright, Hubert Davis, Charlie Ward, Greg Anthony, etc. that got pretty good chances under Riley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6

So what? As a coach, its his responsibility to not let a player make a decision that's going to hurt the team in the long run. And does Riley still hold his VP title or GM or whatever the hell he was before he ran Van Gundy out of town?

Why should Riley be above bashing anyways? He's certainly done his share of ridiculous (and sometimes dirty) things over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who'sKobe
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Wade the one who suggested coming back? I realize he probably needed to be checked out by the team's doctors/etc, but the organization could've thought, "Well, if he feels OK, let him come back"

I think Riley's just being honest, nothing more.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to look at Riley's track record and understand that Riley is taking care of Riley. His team is off to an awful start, and he's pretty much throwing out all the excuses in the book he needs to, to cover his own a$$. In fact, I'd bet money that the Shaquille O'Neal statements about him finishing his career as a Heat, was just political BS to make him look good. You can't tell me if someone offered him something good for Shaq, he wouldn't jump on it immediately.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 01-08-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: