or
    Kobe Bryant
    or
    Wilt Chamberlain

or
    Bob Cousy

Take your pick
    Where do you have Kareem and Bird?

If you want post-season flop jobs, those two would be hard to beat.

All of the lights.... ballsohard247's Avatar

Default Re: More overrated player in NBA history

Yeah, I agree Erving isn't in the teens. I just think a lot of people see him as a one dimensional player, aka Dunker when his game was larger than that.

kobe

Iverson is becoming underrated with how many people calls him overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber

Larry Legend? Really?

First of all...
    Between 80' and 92', Bird led the celtics to the post season every single year except one. Which was the one year the celtics failed to make the playoffs? That's right, the year he was out for the entire season. Also, in Birds 9 healthy seasons, only once did he fail to lead Boston past the 1st round.

His post season 'flop jobs' constitute the following:

82' postseason - He went from a 23/11/6 on 50% in the regular season to a 18/13/6 on 43% in the playoffs and Boston lost to the 76ers in game 7 of the ECFs. This was inexcusable. He had a sub-par playoffs.
    But you know what? It actually reminds me of a certain 7 foot tall black millionaire in a particular playoffs in the late 60s. I can't remember his name though. Maybe you can help me out?

83' post season - Swept in the 1st round by an underrated bucks team (they made the ECFs the year after. Who beat them? Birds celtics of course) led by Sidney Moncrief before his injury. His teammates weren't up to scratch. Everyone, apart from parish and maxwell, had a bad series and even they weren't exactly good (mchale only played 25 mpg).

1988 ECFs vs Detroit - He had a terrible shooting series (against an all time great defence), making only 35% of his shots from the floor (i don't know his stat line for this series but i can guess it was probably something like a 22/9/7).
    But why did he have a bad series? Could it be that his 31 year old body was starting to break down, ala kobe in last years playoffs? He led the celtics to 4 finals in a row between 84' and 87'. He averaged 100 games per season for 4 straight years! Give him a god damn break!

I agree kareem has 'flopped' in the post season (i'm not getting into that now) but who hasn't? Besides, his many great playoffs and extreme longevity make up, in large part, for his failings.
    Last edited by oolalaa; 12-01-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber

Kareem and Wilt both loss 5 series having Homecourt Advantage, the difference is Kareem won 30 while Wilt only won 13.
    Bird lost the most series of any superstar all time having homecourt advantage and that was 7.
    But even so, neither of the 3 are overrated as all 3 belong in the top 6-7 all time.

Learning to shoot layups anyonebutmiami's Avatar

DIRK!!!

He is so useless on defense!!!! He might be the best shooter in the
    game today, but his D sux. Why do people ignore this fact?

LeBron, hyped up as the next MJ...dude has been great but his last Finals showed he isn't GOAT material, it could change if ge wins a few ships but I haven't been impressed so far by his Finals performances...he has no excuses now, he plays with a top 3 player and a All Star foward, what else do you need, Bronsy?