Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Default Re: Michael Jordan 1st threepeat finals vs 2nd threepeat finals

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    2nd 3 peat jordan was a masterpiece.
    Pretty much this. Even in NBA2k11 you can feel the difference. Where as 1st 3-peat Jordan was a One of A Kind talent, 2nd 3-Peat MJ was a more complete Basketball Player (Better Teammates helped that more than anything though).

Decent college freshman Doctor Rivers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    Pretty much this. Even in NBA2k11 you can feel the difference. Where as 1st 3-peat Jordan was a One of A Kind talent, 2nd 3-Peat MJ was a more complete Basketball Player (Better Teammates helped that more than anything though).
    I'm curious...can you elaborate on this?

Made that high school varsity squad

1. Age
    2. He paced himself more.
    3. After 94, the Bulls were pretty much a solid team so he didn't have to take on the same load every night.

Made that high school varsity squad

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Rivers
    1st 3-peat Jordan was so damn fast and athletic, it was like playing with better version of D Wade.

2nd 3-peat Jordan was more refined and easy to make shots, it was like playing with a better version of Kobe.

Decent college freshman Doctor Rivers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bond10
    1. Age
    2. He paced himself more.
    3. After 94, the Bulls were pretty much a solid team so he didn't have to take on the same load every night.
    Not sure if you were replying to me, but I bolded the part about NBA 2K11.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bond10
    1st 3-peat Jordan was so damn fast and athletic, it was like playing with better version of D Wade.

2nd 3-peat Jordan was more refined and easy to make shots, it was like playing with a better version of Kobe.
    1st 3-peat Jordan ..take the best of D Wade and mix it with the best of Kobe.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Late 90's NBA style vs early 90's...
    Partly true. Partly not.

You're right in a sense. The numbers were a bit lower since the games were slower and entirely played in the half-court.

But if anything, early 90s featured much better basketball as opposed to the shittastic defensive struggles you saw in the late 90s. Its one of the reasons the period from about 1991-95 is my favorite era of basketball because it had the best balance between offense and defense in my opinion.

I didn't watch the 80s but when I do watch a few games on NBA TV, I'm disgusted by the type of perimeter defense played and I can't make it through most of the games unless its like a Lakers vs Celtics type of game.

After 1995, it just kept getting worse because offensive talent was terrible due to the poor drafts in the early 90s, the effect of expansion was becoming increasingly noticeable and Fratello caused the entire NBA to switch to his slow ass defensive oriented systems. Riley bought into it and its one of the reasons Miami continously underachieved.

1998-04 was entirely a defensive game while now its mainly offensive oriented.

That is a pretty big gap stats wise. But its true that first three peat Jordan was a much better player than the second three peat one. In fairness though, the 1996 Seattle team was the best defensive team he faced.

I couldn't help but at some of the posts here.
    Where as 1st 3-peat Jordan was a One of A Kind talent, 2nd 3-Peat MJ was a more complete Basketball Player (Better Teammates helped that more than anything though).
    Last edited by NugzHeat3; 09-30-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by NugzHeat3
    Partly true. Partly not.

You're right in a sense. The numbers were a bit lower since the games were slower and entirely played in the half-court.

But if anything, early 90s featured much better basketball as opposed to the shittastic defensive struggles you saw in the late 90s. Its one of the reasons the period from about 1991-95 is my favorite era of basketball because it had the best balance between offense and defense in my opinion.

I didn't watch the 80s but when I do watch a few games on NBA TV, I'm disgusted by the type of perimeter defense played and I can't make it through most of the games unless its like a Lakers vs Celtics type of game.

After 1995, it just kept getting worse because offensive talent was terrible due to the poor drafts in the early 90s, the effect of expansion was becoming increasingly noticeable and Fratello caused the entire NBA to switch to his slow ass defensive oriented systems. Riley bought into it and its one of the reasons Miami continously underachieved.

1998-04 was entirely a defensive game while now its mainly offensive oriented.

That is a pretty big gap stats wise. But its true that first three peat Jordan was a much better player than the second three peat one. In fairness though, the 1996 Seattle team was the best defensive team he faced.

I couldn't help but at some of the posts here.
    Go watch the Seattle series again and the reason Gary Dayton said he had a easier time guarding MJ 2 3 peat Mj. He said he gets tired easier and he wasn't like he use to be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efMs8e20c7s In that series Mike was missing gimme layups even when he shook Dayton off him.1st 3 peat MJ would have more stamina and runs around the court making plays. Even Gary noted that and 1996 was MJ at his highest weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Rivers
    It's simple. Just like in real life, 2k11 Late 90s MJ had a more consistent and reliable jump shot, and better all around game compared to his early 90s self. He couldn't just blow by people anymore, and was forced to rely on more tools of the trade (back-down, post fades, up and under shot fakes to lay-ups, etc.)

He was simply a more refined version of his younger 90s self, and IMO felt more like a complete Player, even compared to the years where he was putting up historic numbers. At the end of the day, it's all personal preference, but I honestly believe late 90s MJ would have intimidated the younger version.

Very good NBA starter

It's simple. Just like in real life, 2k11 Late 90s MJ had a more consistent and reliable jump shot, and better all around game compared to his early 90s self. He couldn't just blow by people anymore, and was forced to rely on more tools of the trade (back-down, post fades, up and under shot fakes to lay-ups, etc.)

He was simply a more refined version of his younger 90s self, and IMO felt more like a complete Player, even compared to the years where he was putting up historic numbers. At the end of the day, it's all personal preference, but I honestly believe late 90s MJ would have intimidated the younger version.
    Lmao MJ had a jumpshot when he was younger and post play.He just used it a lot morein the 2nd 3 peat. Go watch the 92 knicks series when they wouldn't allow him in the paint at all. He went to work in the post and with jumpers. Watch the 92 finals he was posting clyde and porter all day. He was the post player.

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Lmao MJ had a jumpshot when he was younger and post play.He just used it a lot morein the 2nd 3 peat. Go watch the 92 knicks series when they wouldn't allow him in the paint at all. He went to work in the post and with jumpers. Watch the 92 finals he was posting clyde and porter all day. He was the post player.
    I get what you're saying juju, but we're taking into consideration that MJ is going against another version of MJ, and not another player who may have mental lapses, or get intimidated because he's guarding "Michael Jordan". I'm also taking into consideration the Teams as well. Make no mistake, young 90s MJ was nothing to play with, but a healthy late 90s Jordan was no slouch either (Stronger, smarter, more ways to beat you, etc.).

Very good NBA starter

I get what you're saying juju, but we're taking into consideration that MJ is going against another version of MJ, and not another player who may have mental lapses, or get intimidated because he's guarding "Michael Jordan". I'm also taking into consideration the Teams as well. Make no mistake, young 90s MJ was nothing to play with, but a healthy late 90s Jordan was no slouch either (Stronger, smarter, more ways to beat you, etc.).
    Even MJ said he was superior in his first 3 peat. MJ in his first 3 peat had more ways to beat you.(Faster,quicker,better defense, etc..) Why would young MJ be scared of old MJ? Old MJ can't guard him too slow.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

I honestly believe late 90s MJ would have intimidated the younger version.
    No one would have intimidated early 90's MJ. Not even his older self.

Make no mistake, young 90s MJ was nothing to play with, but a healthy late 90s Jordan was no slouch either (Stronger, smarter, more ways to beat you, etc.).
    I think I can tell who started watching MJ in his later years cause this seems like an emotional preference. I don't understand how anyone can watch that guy in the early 90's and still say the late 90's version was better. Maybe that was your favorite version but to say he was better? He wasn't just some athletic freak cruising by dunking on guys to get his points. He had the footwork, he had the post up, he had the fadeaway, he had the jumnpshot, he had the same competitiveness, he had the same will to win plus he had better stamina, he played much better defense, he could play at top speed for a longer part of the game, he could play any pace, he could dominate on the perimeter and the post area.

Some of you guys are acting like he was Vince Carter or somebody back then.

1992 Eastern Conference Finals Game 7 vs New York Knicks

I don't think he had any game from 96-98 where he dominated as completely as he did here. He shot like 75% until the game was pretty much out of reach. The first half of this game, I'll put up against any half played by anyone. And the thing is, he did this all the time. 15-18 in Game 2 vs Lakers in the 91 Finals. Game 3 vs Pistons in the 91 ECF. Sh*t, Game 4, too. The Shrug Game against Portland in 92 Finals. That brilliant all around game against the Knicks in Game 5 of the 93 ECF. There was a game he grabbed 19 rebounds against Barkley's Sixers in 91. He beat teams any way you could imagine and then thought of a few more ways. Anything he was doing from 96-98, he was doing from 90-93 but better, more consistently and more efficiently plus some things he didn't do later on.
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 09-30-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    No one would have intimidated early 90's MJ. Not even his older self.

I think I can tell who started watching MJ in his later years cause this seems like an emotional preference. I don't understand how anyone can watch that guy in the early 90's and still say the late 90's version was better. Maybe that was your favorite version but to say he was better? He wasn't just some athletic freak cruising by dunking on guys to get his points. He had the footwork, he had the post up, he had the fadeaway, he had the jumnpshot, he had the same competitiveness, he had the same will to win plus he had better stamina, he played much better defense, he could play at top speed for a longer part of the game, he could play any pace, he could dominate on the perimeter and the post area.

Some of you guys are acting like he was Vince Carter or somebody back then.

1992 Eastern Conference Finals Game 7 vs New York Knicks

I don't think he had any game where he dominated as completely from 96-98 as he did here. He shot like 75% until the game was pretty much out of reach. The first half of this game, I'll put up against any half played by anyone. And the thing is, he did this all the time. 15-18 in Game 2 vs Lakers in the 91 Finals. Game 3 vs Pistons in the 91 ECF. Sh*t, Game 4, too. The Shrug Game against Portland in 92 Finals. That brilliant all around game against the Knicks in Game 5 of the 93 ECF. There was a game he grabbed 19 rebounds against Barkley's Sixers in 91. He beat teams any way you could imagine and then thought of a few more ways. Anything he was doing from 96-98, he was doing from 90-93 but better, more consistently and more efficiently plus some things he didn't do later on.
    Now hold on, why is it that the people that disagree with you are doing it on an emotional basis?

And why don't you listen? Its already been noted that the statistical difference had more to do with the way the game was played. Go back and look at the decrease in FG attempts on a yearly basis even starting in the early 90s. In game 6 vs utah, matt goukas said it best, he said teams just don't want to get out an run anymore. A lot of that was attributed to the style that teams played back then.

There's no doubt in my mind that if you put jordan even at 30 years old in a similar situation as was the early 90s and 80s, where about 4-5 of his shots would be off transition baskets, and the defense was a lot more laxed, his stats accross the board would be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Even MJ said he was superior in his first 3 peat. MJ in his first 3 peat had more ways to beat you.(Faster,quicker,better defense, etc..) Why would young MJ be scared of old MJ? Old MJ can't guard him too slow.
    When did he say this? In this video, hes saying he lost some athleticism but made up for it with a more cerebral game. And he was stronger.