Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-18-2018, 10:38 PM   #61
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Default Re: GT: 76ers @ Celtics TNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFonzworth
He's an elite defender lmao. Look what he did against Curry and Harden. You'll understand come April.
He's so great that his team traded up so that they could draft someone to start over him with the #1 pick and when that player got hurt still kept him out of the starting line up. You should take it up with the Philly coaching staff, not me. You fixate on two games. I looked it up and the last time Curry saw Philly he scored 35. Harden last two games vs. Philly he had 27 and 29. But you act like two games are there whole story. It's nonsense. I'm not going to knock him, he seems to play hard but by NBA standards this is not a special player. I really can't think of any other fans that act like their second string pg is elite.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:39 PM   #62
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBaller
Hes a bum and hes white
Well, I did warn you.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:43 PM   #63
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceJam
"Best rookie this season"

Percentages drop when Kyrie isn't spoon feeding him clean looks
Irving averages 5 assists. The idea that he is setting everyone up is silly. Now he is absolutely massively important to the offense for his scoring and closing. But he is most definitely not Jason Kidd.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:44 PM   #64
dbugz
College superstar

Marcus Morris is one of the top scorer, that's how bad Cs offense is without Kyrie.
dbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:55 PM   #65
MrFonzworth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
He's so great that his team traded up so that they could draft someone to start over him with the #1 pick and when that player got hurt still kept him out of the starting line up. You should take it up with the Philly coaching staff, not me. You fixate on two games. I looked it up and the last time Curry saw Philly he scored 35. Harden last two games vs. Philly he had 27 and 29. But you act like two games are there whole story. It's nonsense. I'm not going to knock him, he seems to play hard but by NBA standards this is not a special player. I really can't think of any other fans that act like their second string pg is elite.
Fultz was drafted because we needed more depth, NOT because McConnell isn't a baller. Remember Sergio Rodriguez? How about Tony Wroten? Isaiah Canaan? Fultz replaced them, not McConnell.

And just because he isn't starting doesn't mean he isn't one of the 5 best players of the league, take it from someone who actually watches the game, he is. He provides a lot of the same stuff Simmons does, and since neither of them stretch the floor well, Brown tries to keep them from playing at the same time.

Also, how pathetic of you to just assume he's not a good defender by quickly checking his box scores. Curry had the worst game of the superstar part of his career against McConnell. TJ had consecutive on ball steals and several forced turnovers against Harden down the stretch in BOTH of the games against Houston this year.
MrFonzworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:03 PM   #66
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFonzworth
Fultz was drafted because we needed more depth, NOT because McConnell isn't a baller. Remember Sergio Rodriguez? How about Tony Wroten? Isaiah Canaan? Fultz replaced them, not McConnell.
Fultz was traded up for, and drafted. Meaning that the Sixers wanted a good pg so bad that tey thought it was worth two draft picks. If they think McConnell is great they don't do that.

Quote:
And just because he isn't starting doesn't mean he isn't one of the 5 best players of the league, take it from someone who actually watches the game, he is. He provides a lot of the same stuff Simmons does, and since neither of them stretch the floor well, Brown tries to keep them from playing at the same time.
We can't really have a debate if you refuse to be at least slightly rational.

Quote:
Also, how pathetic of you to just assume he's not a good defender by quickly checking his box scores. Curry had the worst game of the superstar part of his career against McConnell. TJ had consecutive on ball steals and several forced turnovers against Harden down the stretch in BOTH of the games against Houston this year.
Yu are trying to call him an elite defender. To prove that you point at just two performers vs. two players. I bring up a few details--regarding just those two players--and you reply with this. You pretty much have no point at this point. Might as well not bother to try again if you can't do better.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:04 PM   #67
SpaceJam
Good college starter

Quote:
Irving averages 5 assists. The idea that he is setting everyone up is silly. Now he is absolutely massively important to the offense for his scoring and closing. But he is most definitely not Jason Kidd.

I should have worded it better, I meant in terms of the attention Irving gets on offense it allows Tatum to get the looks he does, and in term shoot the percentages he has been shooting. I've had 'discussions' with Boston fans who swear Kyrie brings no benefit to Tatum's game
SpaceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #68
MrFonzworth
Banned

Quote:
Fultz was traded up for, and drafted. Meaning that the Sixers wanted a good pg so bad that tey thought it was worth two draft picks. If they think McConnell is great they don't do that.

We can't really have a debate if you refuse to be at least slightly rational.

Yu are trying to call him an elite defender. To prove that you point at just two performers vs. two players. I bring up a few details--regarding just those two players--and you reply with this. You pretty much have no point at this point. Might as well not bother to try again if you can't do better.
I meant top 5 on the team I cba to continue because I'm on mobile so just wait for playoff time m8
MrFonzworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 PM   #69
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
I should have worded it better, I meant in terms of the attention Irving gets on offense it allows Tatum to get the looks he does, and in term shoot the percentages he has been shooting. I've had 'discussions' with Boston fans who swear Kyrie brings no benefit to Tatum's game
Irving is far and away the most important part of the offense. But where you're wrong is the idea that his presence makes or breaks Tatum. Tatum is normally defended one-on-one by a forward whether or not Irving is playing. Irving's penetration can leave aa disorganized defense for teamates like Tatum to attack in his wake and that is important but it's not all there is to Tatum's ability to score. In reality Tatum was a made 3 away from what would be a statistically average night for him.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:14 PM   #70
SpaceJam
Good college starter

Quote:
Irving is far and away the most important part of the offense. But where you're wrong is the idea that his presence makes or breaks Tatum. Tatum is normally defended one-on-one by a forward whether or not Irving is playing. Irving's penetration can leave aa disorganized defense for teamates like Tatum to attack in his wake and that is important but it's not all there is to Tatum's ability to score. In reality Tatum was a made 3 away from what would be a statistically average night for him.

LMAO I know, Tatum's a beast. It's just fun to troll Celtics fans in the group I'm in, makes it easier he hasn't really had any big games with Kyrie out
SpaceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #71
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
LMAO I know, Tatum's a beast. It's just fun to troll Celtics fans in the group I'm in, makes it easier he hasn't really had any big games with Kyrie out
What I do wish is that Tatum was more aggressive, especially when Irving is out. Brown may have the game to be a big scorer one day but he's not there right now. Tatum does have the skill set to go off for 20+ any given night but he has yet to try and take a game over in the NBA. It's understandable because he's a rookie but it was frustrating because this game was begging for someone to step up and he's the only Celtic with that potential in Irving's absence.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:37 PM   #72
AI09
Sixers Dynasty

McConnell is one of the better bench guards in the NBA. He plays hard and is a above average defender, he makes a big impact for this sixers team and is one of their better players that go under the radar for most NBA fans that are not sixers fans. With that being said sometimes sixers fans overrate him and sometimes I read stuff about him on this board where I think the poster is just trolling.

As for Fultz, the sixers traded for him for the sole purpose of him being the starting guard for 10+ years. He didn't get off to a good start but I know he can be that type of player for us. He might not be able to find his shot this season but I'm confident come next year he will be a big part of this team and will start for us.
AI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #73
fourkicks44
You Down With TTP?

There are a few things that I need to clarify here regarding McConnell, Fultz and the number pick. Those that are not crazy process trusters like myself (99% of Insidehoops) will not know, so I want to clear the air once and for all. We need to go back a bit to get the context right.

Firstly when regarding the 'Process' the everyday basketball fan talks about losing on purpose with the theory that by stockpiling as many draft picks as possible some of those will be great and some will fail, but the chances of drafting superstars becomes as high as possible. Process 101. But what is understated is the other part of Hinkie's plan. Sign a bunch of guys, drafted, undrafted, ten day contracts etc and when given the opportunity and their backs are against the wall, they will work hard and you will get the best out of them. From all those players, you will then find keepers too. Out of that massive turnover of players TJ and Covington have emerged. Process 102.

The start of last season McConnell was a third string PG still hanging on from the Hinkie era when Collangelo took over. He still didn't look like he should be in the NBA. But one by one injuries took over. Simmons, Rodriguez, Bayless. He started to get minutes and he never looked back. It became HIS team. He always had that harassing defense, but what we would witness was an uncanny improvement.

Remember last season, when the Cav's were struggling. Lebron said the team needed a play maker and requested BY NAME that the Cleveland front office acquire TJ.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...urces_say.html

With the year all said and done. Colangelo decided that the Sixers needed a guard to play next to Simmons that could shoot outside, inside, get to the hoop, run the pick and roll with Joel and create for himself. A prolific scorer. In a draft deep with players of the like, BC went out to get the first pick and took the best player that fit that role. Markelle Fultz.

The question was where did that leave McConnell? Sure he had his move, the pull up shot at the free throw line but other than that he could not shoot for shit. He had no 3pt range and had no perceived value playing on the floor with Ben handling the ball. Nobody knew what his place on the team was.

But he went out in the off season and worked hard on his shooting. As much as he had improved the previous season, with his career on the line again he took another giant leap. With Markelle out he has shown his worth yet again.

Last season he shot .200 from 3pt. This season he is shooting .432 from 3pt with more attempts in less minutes. That is a bullshit improvement. It is also ironic AF considering Fultz cannot shoot at all. His FG% was .461 last season and this season is .535. I am pretty certain that has to be the biggest improvement in the NBA. While his defense has now become elite his liabilities on offense have diminished.

He is now a mainstay in the league and integral to the young Philadelphia team's core. Nobody saw this coming, except perhaps that genius Sam Hinkie. It has happened so fast so that's why I think we are all so surprised (me included). The fact that people are now saying 'McConnell is overrated' speaks volumes.

Patience, hard work and opportunity. Trust the process, indeed.
fourkicks44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #74
fourkicks44
You Down With TTP?

And just so I'm not misconstrued with that big lump of text

The dots I was trying to connect in this thread:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=445178

Is that in the Tatum vs Fultz debate, is that McConnell IS Fultz.

In that during the course of this season he is the one that has had to fill his role and his minutes.

I hope that clears up my position.
fourkicks44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #75
hold this L
Curry 2 > 1 LeBronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbugz
Marcus Morris is one of the top scorer, that's how bad Cs offense is without Kyrie.
Your offense isn't good even with Kyrie, it's run of the mill mediocre.
hold this L is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: