Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How MJ once dropped 52 points after playing 36 holes and drinking 10 beers

[QUOTE]

Default Re: How MJ once dropped 52 points after playing 36 holes and drinking 10 beers

Jeez I knew they were bad in the 90's but you're telling me that they weren't even sober?

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Default Re: How MJ once dropped 52 points after playing 36 holes and drinking 10 beers

I will always get a kick out of "modern nutrition and training" quips when people want to get into era arguments

Jokes were made about Tom Heinsohn smoking cigs at half-time, and Bob Cousy's cigarette commercials from kids in the 90's idolizing 90's players over the pre-70's ones no doubt but...

here MJ is binge drinking and playing golf all day before a game, smoking cigars too on the golf course I'd be willing to bet... meanwhile he, Larry Bird, and Shaq are also peddling Pepsi, Coke and McDonald's products for a quick buck on the side

Lamar Odom had a candy addiction all throughout the '00's as well as an eventual heavy drug and Kardashian one

and countless modern players I guarantee you have the same care free lifestyles with atrocious diets and exercise choices, how many players you wanna bet either vape or smoke still despite how bad it is for you?... Doesn't LeBron still promote Sprite?

You can have all the modern nutrition and training in the world but what good is it if you don't give a crap about it I think the fans take life more seriously than these players sometimes

The biggest boost modern players get throughout the history of the game IMO is slacker and slacker rules that enable them to shine and frequently look new and improved. They do new things because the rules allow them to do new things. Slack rules and perhaps PEDs when they get injured to reduce their recovery.

Can't convince me MJ was living any healthier than any player 30 years prior to him and can't convince me all the players today are choosing to to stay on the straight and narrow any more often than MJ either, the guys in the league today grew up eating Lucky Charms and Count Chocula for breakfeast with some burger king for lunch they aren't superhumans

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous
    I will always get a kick out of "modern nutrition and training" quips when people want to get into era arguments

Jokes were made about Tom Heinsohn smoking cigs at half-time, and Bob Cousy's cigarette commercials from kids in the 90's idolizing 90's players over the pre-70's ones no doubt but...

here MJ is binge drinking and playing golf all day before a game, smoking cigars too on the golf course I'd be willing to bet... meanwhile he, Larry Bird, and Shaq are also peddling Pepsi, Coke and McDonald's products for a quick buck on the side

Lamar Odom had a candy addiction all throughout the '00's as well as an eventual heavy drug and Kardashian one

and countless modern players I guarantee you have the same care free lifestyles with atrocious diets and exercise choices, how many players you wanna bet either vape or smoke still despite how bad it is for you?... Doesn't LeBron still promote Sprite?

You can have all the modern nutrition and training in the world but what good is it if you don't give a crap about it I think the fans take life more seriously than these players sometimes

The biggest boost modern players get throughout the history of the game IMO is slacker and slacker rules that enable them to shine and frequently look new and improved. They do new things because the rules allow them to do new things. Slack rules and perhaps PEDs when they get injured to reduce their recovery.

Can't convince me MJ was living any healthier than any player 30 years prior to him and can't convince me all the players today are choosing to to stay on the straight and narrow any more often than MJ either, the guys in the league today grew up eating Lucky Charms and Count Chocula for breakfeast with some burger king for lunch they aren't superhumans

Good post. The fans taking life more seriously than the players is a good point and really says it all. I mean, I'm an adult now, and can totally understand why a guy like Embiid wouldn't take diet super seriously. You're at the mercy of a front office, coach, and teammates as to whether you can actually win a championship. It's a grind-it-out season and playoffs with a lot of personal work and time up front just to be able to play the games. Then you've got injury luck. Then if you're a star player like Embiid, you've got the extra hour per day, if not more, you have to spend answering media questions....

People wanna act like it's a dream, but it's still a job, and it's more demanding than your normal 40-hour a week job no doubt. You get greater compensation for it than 99.9% of others, but so what. You're still in your 20s and want to have a life, and boy are you afforded one.

It sucks to grow up past the dream of these guys being competitive warriors, but they're just dudes doing their (entertaining) job.

---

This ended up a complete tangent...I came in to post that I was disappointed in MJ for not drinking liquor during the golf match.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    Jeez I knew they were bad in the 90's but you're telling me that they weren't even sober?

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey

I play better after I've had a few

The only time MJ scored 52 against the Cavs was in December. You telling me these dudes were out there playing 18 holes 8 days before Christmas in Chicago? Give me a break. Was prob a foot of snow on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    The only time MJ scored 52 against the Cavs was in December. You telling me these dudes were out there playing 18 holes 8 days before Christmas in Chicago? Give me a break. Was prob a foot of snow on the ground.
    Yikes! Talk about debunked

probably smoked a few stogies too.

ran through 2 or 3 skeezers.

the goat was just built different.

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    If that was the game in question - https://www.wunderground.com/history...ate/1987-12-17

No precipitation but very cold.

It's possible a minor detail is is wrong here and therefore that isn't the date of the story. Perhaps for example, it wasn't a 52 point performance perhaps it was some other 40 or 50+ performance at some other time of year to better fit the golf story. Since this is a recollection and not an article or quote taken straight from the era it's based on memory and memories can skew details but his jist is the underlying point

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous
    If that was the game in question - https://www.wunderground.com/history...ate/1987-12-17

No precipitation but very cold.

It's possible a minor detail is is wrong here and therefore that isn't the date of the story. Perhaps for example, it wasn't a 52 point performance perhaps it was some other 40 or 50+ performance at some other time of year to better fit the golf story. Since this is a recollection and not an article or quote taken straight from the era it's based on memory and memories can skew details but his jist is the underlying point

You really can find anything on the internet.

Story isn't even surprising though. I mean, Jordan's "flu game" was actually a hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    I mean, Jordan's "flu game" was actually a hangover.

food poisoning.

state of utah tried to put a hit out on him.

shameful.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBlackDude

food poisoning.

state of utah tried to put a hit out on him.

shameful.
    Dude played his entire career in Chicago...and ordered pizza in Utah?

We may as well call it the hangover game.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Dude played his entire career in Chicago...and ordered pizza in Utah?
    the windy city has very liberal ideas on what constitutes a pizza.

lot of 'deep dish' is just muhphucking casserole.