Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Paul Pierce is a top 5 Celtic all-time

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    Morons ruined this thread.

I'll return after the playoffs if Pierce is victorious.

ahhhh stick a cork in it grandpa

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by griffmoney1784
    i actually agree with the adjustment for rings in eras

kobes 5 in a modern day era are slightly more impressive than russells collection of 11 crap rings in a 6-8 team league against guys who had to look at the ball when dribbling

Well when Russ was playing played didn't get to carry the ball and get 3 and sometimes 4 steps. Oh yea if you put your hand on them its a foul. How easy is that.

Good college starter

i hope to god i dont end up like that hondo guy

in 40 years when players are dunking from 2 feet behind the free throw line in games. draining three pointers at a 60% clip and 5 players on each team are built like lebron with the skills of kobe x 5... i hope to god im not sitting on a forum holding onto some scraps from my out of date era hoping people will think my kobe could compete in that new era and no one in that new era could compete in kobes

if i do.... i pray someone kills me

No what you will be saying when you see that 7'3 built like a roman god player shooting 3pt. why doesn't he have any post moves. Why is his block shots pg so low. Oh D Howard would kill him in the post. As big as this guy from 2030 is he can't defend in the post . Thats what you will be saying. Like us older guys are saying now why is a 6'8 250lb Lebron shooting more 3's than posting up.WHy is there really only about 5 true post C in the game with 32 teams.Get the idea youg fella.

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    Pierce ranks anywhere from 5-8. What bodes well for him is that he is in the top 5 in many of the statistical categories but obviously in Boston players are rated via Championships. So another ring could really help ensure his legacy currently I think I would have him in the all time Celtics starting line up though that doesn't necessarily make you a top 5 Celtic.

Russell
    McHale
    Bird
    Pierce
    Cousy

Bench
    Cowens
    Heinsohn
    Hondo
    Jones
    DJ
    Garnett
    Jo Jo White
    Hondo and Pierce are virtually interchangable, and I'm thinking reputation leans with Hondo a bit more.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandGold
    Hondo and Pierce are virtually interchangable, and I'm thinking reputation leans with Hondo a bit more.
    Hondo never had to be carried to the locker room because he broke a nail.
    Hondo never needed a teammate to yell at him it game time pick it up like diva PP
    Hondo was never called by many a care free player. Here is a question is PP really better than Vince Carter ? Or are they the same player. has anyone ever seen the two in the same room at the same time ?

Good college starter

ahhhh stick a cork in it grandpa
    open a book and learn basketball history and change your diaper.

Banned

A lot of Celtics past greats already stated Pierce is the greatest offensive player in franchise history. I'll take their word over poster on ISH

Derka
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Paul Pierce is a top 5 Celtics all-time

Quote Originally Posted by Duranthebest
    If Paul Pierce becomes the Celtics # 1 scorer, I'm going to cry for 100 nights.
    Its gonna happen so stock up on those tissues.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranthebest
    True story.

Top 5

1) Russell
    2) Bird
    3) Havlicek
    4) Pierce
    5) McHale

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex
    Top 5

1) Russell
    2) Bird
    3) Havlicek
    4) Pierce
    5) McHale
    Why in God's name would you have Pierce and McHale over Cousy?

Cousy was an MVP, 10-time all-first NBA and dominated in the pre and post black star and shot clock eras. Also he won six titles.

Again, why would you have PP and Minnesota Franks over him?

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T

Cousy was an MVP, 10-time all-first NBA and dominated in the pre and post black star and shot clock eras. Also he won six titles.

G.O.A.T. it's called " I learned about the NBA from ESPN.How do people have Mchale over Dave Cowens ? Jo JO White is one of the most underrated players in the history of the game . I put players like Jo JO and Jammal Wilkes and I wonder do people watch the game. IN that 76 Great Finals game Hondo was a beast but why do people forget about how great Jo JO was. In Magic's 80' game 6 Greatest finals individual performance of all time why have people forgot how Great Silky was?

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T

I thought about Cousy. And he is an all time Celtic. But to me he is overrated. Cousy would not dominate todays game. He wouldn't even be close. The other players on the list would dominate today. (Perhaps not Russell playing center at 6-9, but he would still be a good PF). I tried to make my list a combination of who is regarded as a great Celtic and who is a truly all time great player. I guess it is a matter of opinion.

If you rank the all time great players to ever play in the NBA, Cousy is not on your list. Thus he isn't in my top 5 Celtics list either. In retrospect I think you do have a point. I guess its just a matter of how you tackle the question.

For instance, if you were to list the top 5 Lakers of all time, George Mikan is probably on your list. However he wouldn't make my list, because Mikan, like Cousy is far from an all time great player based on modern metrics.

I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, but I hope you can see my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    G.O.A.T. it's called " I learned about the NBA from ESPN.How do people have Mchale over Dave Cowens ? Jo JO White is one of the most underrated players in the history of the game . I put players like Jo JO and Jammal Wilkes and I wonder do people watch the game. IN that 76 Great Finals game Hondo was a beast but why do people forget about how great Jo JO was. In Magic's 80' game 6 Greatest finals individual performance of all time why have people forgot how Great Silky was?

The famous night in game 6 of the 1980 NBA finals, when Magic Johnson played center and scored more than 40 points to clinch the title against the Sixers, its a little known fact that Jamal Wilkes also scored 40 points for the Lakers IN THE SAME GAME. But all anyone talks about is Magic Johnson's 40 point game performance.

Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe claims that to this day, Jamal Wilkes' 40 point game in Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals ranks as the quietest 40 point game in NBA playoff history.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex
    The famous night in game 6 of the 1980 NBA finals, when Magic Johnson played center and scored more than 40 points to clinch the title against the Sixers, its a little known fact that Jamal Wilkes also scored 40 points for the Lakers IN THE SAME GAME. But all anyone talks about is Magic Johnson's 40 point game performance.

Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe claims that to this day, Jamal Wilkes' 40 point game in Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals ranks as the quietest 40 point game in NBA playoff history.
    Not quite. Wilkes scored 37 points on 16-30 shooting, while Magic scored 42 on 14-23 shooting (and 14-14 in FTs). Magic also led ALL rebounders, and by a mile, with 15 rebounds (the next guy had 10.)

Just seen this thread, and no Pierce is not a top 5 Celtic of All-Time. I've seen people rank Pierce ahead of Cousy ... Y'all do know Bob is considered around a top 25 player, and Pierce is not, that simple.

Russell
    Bird
    Havlicek
    Cousy
    Cowens
    Sam Jones
    McHale

He is either before or after Parish

Parish