Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shooting Sleeve

Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Shooting Sleeve

im new here.. and i was wondering what does a finger sleeve do, what does it improve, and is it advised i should get one. and what is that white finger sleeve kobe is wearing.. im curious of it because i always see him playing in it, and how does it help his game ?

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by neon22
    im new here.. and i was wondering what does a finger sleeve do, what does it improve, and is it advised i should get one. and what is that white finger sleeve kobe is wearing.. im curious of it because i always see him playing in it, and how does it help his game ?
    lmao

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Steve Nashty's Avatar

Finger sleeves improve your jump shot by something like 44%. They allow for more grip, and they also help you jump higher then without a finger sleeve. Also, the finger sleeve allows you to see behind your back which also helps in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nashty
    Finger sleeves improve your jump shot by something like 44%. They allow for more grip, and they also help you jump higher then without a finger sleeve. Also, the finger sleeve allows you to see behind your back which also helps in a game.
    I gotta get me some of those.

I thought they were pretty pointless. Were they really made to keep your arm muscles warm in your shooting arm?

Saw a basketball once

I bought the nba one and a mcdavid hex sleeve at:

http://www.uniquesportsaccessories.c...tm#shootingArm

They have all the colors. They are both greeat but, I think I like the mcdavid one better. It doesn't seem like it will fall apart that fast.

Saw a basketball once

I bought an nba sleeve and a mcdavid hex sleeve at: http://www.uniquesportsaccessories.c...tm#shootingArm They have all the colors. I think I like the Mcdavid one better because of the hex padding.

I used to be real stubborn and played without a sleeve for quite some time.

Then I gave it a try.

As soon as I put it on my arm, I felt this strange sensation that I've never felt before. It was a feeling of embarrassment since everybody at the park laughed at me.

I told them it was supposed to keep my shooting hand warm. I soaked the sleeve in gasoline and while we were playing - my hand was on FIRE.

Unstoppable.

Raps, Jazz, and UCONN rosonviyavong's Avatar

im too skinny too even fit one :)

Saw a basketball once

Well, sorry to burst your bubble (all of those making fun of the compression sleeve)
    I'm in the medical field, and was doing some research for one of my patients and found this thread and some of the ironic answers why somebody is using a compression sleeve which is the correct name, not "shooting sleeve".
    I don't know Iverson, and I don't really care the real reason why he still uses the sleeve, but I'll give you a medical reason.
    Swelling, inflammation, bursitis, and/ or lymphedema are the medical reasons to use a compression garment. The first three may occur after surgery or because of constantly using and/or abusing certain joints, in this case elbow. The best way to prevent pain due to these three reasons is using a compression garment, in this case a sleeve.
    This is how a medical sleeve looks like

I don't think Iverson or any pro-player would look "cool" wearing one of those, so he most probably had one of his sponsor make a "cool" sleeve to wear during game time, and then other players liked it, and like any other fashion, sport fans want to wear what their favorite pro-player wears, so Mcdavid, Nike, Reebok, etc started making them available for the public.
    In addition, triathlon and marathon runners, cyclists have used compression sleeves, socks, shorts, etc for a long time (see http://www.zensah.com/, but their sports are not as popular, and you don't see them on tv.
    So, for those making fun of a compression sleeve, stop laughing and being ironic, you might want to try a compression garment sometime, and you will feel the difference.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    It doesn't help your shooting at all. It's designed to keep the blood circulating properly in your arm. That's why Allen Iverson started wearing it AFTER he suffered an arm injury.
    Really? I remember reading a while ago that the reason he started wearing the sleeve was because he had tattoo's on his arm that were banned by the NBA so needed to cover them up.

I've been wearing a shooting sleeve since AI back in like 2002.

It doesn't do shyt. No BS

It just looks cool.

3 Ball like Piatkowski dab0yech0's Avatar

Ive tried one, it really doesn't make a difference for me at all. The only time I felt like I benefited from it was when I had a really sore elbow and this seemed like it kept it warm but on regular days the sleeve is no more than an accessory for show.

ISH Jump Crew

Quote Originally Posted by lilojmayo
    I've been wearing a shooting sleeve since AI back in like 2002.

It doesn't do shyt. No BS

It just looks cool.