Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star cavsfanatic's Avatar

Default Re: use of the N-word in basketball

lol like we only say it on the court. It's part of our everyday conversation.

If its so offensive maybe black ppl should stop saying it all the time. Movies, music, tv etc..
    I get the whole taking back the word power bullshit, but enough is enough.
    I hear it all the time and because of its common use it's lost it's effect. Same with swearing now, pretty common.. So when someone says it now I don't even care..

I hear more non-black people saying it these days. It doesn't really bother me anymore. I never understood the urge other people had to say it if they weren't black. It's so taboo they just couldn't leave it alone.

What about the NBA, do players say it during games ? .....anyone ever heard it on TV or at a game ?

Winning>Stats

Quote Originally Posted by KLovin
    It's just a term of camaraderie for the most part. That being said, it is a unique word in that it's totally acceptable in one sense, and unacceptable in another. I have black friends whom I use that word around all the time, but I would never use it among strangers.

There was one time where I was playing ball and I blocked this black guy (stranger) real good. I'd been hanging out with my black friends the day before and we like to insult each other using racist terms...Soooo during the process of the block I say, "get outta here n*gger". Yeah, with the -ER at the end, lol. I had friends with me, but quite honestly I thought I was screwed at that moment. Fortunately they weren't sore about it...though I think they might have misheard n*gger for n*gga, because that's what they laughingly quoted me as saying.
    Seems legit.

As a white male I've accepted the fact some words like the nword are off limits

However in exchange we get free newspapers and aren't required to date the fat white chicks so it evens out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
    I don't see what the big deal is. It's not being used in the same context that it was back in the day. As a white person I wouldn't waste any time being offended by it. In general I don't understand the concept of being offended by words.
    The big deal is that people aren't allowed to say ****** but the n word is perfectly OK. And I think most people who use it are idiots.

So where is the part that he actually insulted you? Can't find it in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    What about the NBA, do players say it during games ? .....anyone ever heard it on TV or at a game ?

I remember during the 2010 finals, you could clearly hear Nate Robinson say to Rondo "my *****"

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

You're offended... that sucks for you but no one cares. Be offended in silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010
    I'm a white male, and find it very annoying-troublesome hearing black males using that term. The other day I was playing a pick up game outside, and I was on the only white guy, one of my teammates didnt remember my name so he would say, "my ni..a" really???

if stern and the nba can create a PSA about using gay-slurs, surely he can interject and do the same w/ the n-bomb
    Double standards FTL.

BEAST

Quote Originally Posted by Knicksfever2010
    I'm a white male, and find it very annoying-troublesome hearing black males using that term. The other day I was playing a pick up game outside, and I was on the only white guy, one of my teammates didnt remember my name so he would say, "my ni..a" really???

if stern and the nba can create a PSA about using gay-slurs, surely he can interject and do the same w/ the n-bomb

so would you be less offended by if he called you white boy?

lol i honestly think he just blurred it out since they used it so much and you are the only one that's not black

Quote Originally Posted by jbryan1984
    I remember during the 2010 finals, you could clearly hear Nate Robinson say to Rondo "my *****"
    aha.... ......i don

Future D1 Dad

Quote Originally Posted by JaggerCommaMick
    Who are you to assume its only black males using that word, mate? Im a white male and I use it all the time!

Geez! Some people are so close minded...
    i actually chuckled a bit at this.

to the op, who cares what people call each other? concentrate on the game instead.

Not airballing my layups anymore Baby Arm Johnso's Avatar

I was partying down in the hood and after drinking 3 forties decided I was going to buy one of the professional ladies showing off on the corner. I was pretty buzzed and I wrecked that shiat like a stolen ezup! When I was done the ho gave me my money back