Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Default When Has Dirk Played On Stacked Teams

03? and even though it was very flawed, the 04 team had some talent. But why do some people act like he has been playing with great talent his whole career? Since 2005, Jason Terry was the 2nd best player on the Mavericks. Good player and had a great playoffs in 2011. But that isn't your typical 2nd option. I mean he took a team to the NBA Finals that started Adrian Griffin and Diop They choked in 07, but was one of the least talented 65+ win teams ever. Dirk taking that average Mavs team to the Finals in 2011 and winning it all makes him no worse than a top 3 PF.

Former Bulls Fan.

Default Re: When Has Dirk Played On Stacked Teams

Thats true now that u think about it... Dirk is underrated.

aside from 07 they have pretty much been picked to finish no better than 5th in the West and more often than not to miss the playoffs completely every year Dirk has been on the team.

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

Most people on ISH who criticize Dirk have a massive agenda, so even credible posters will claim he had very talented teams, even though that is far from the truth throughout most of his career. I've said before that I don't like blaming the race factor, but you have to think it has something to do with the attacks on him as a player.

Only Lebron has played with less talent in the last decade and consistently taken his teams to 50+ wins. Dirk is incredibly special, top 20 player no doubt and a top 10 franchise player of all time when you consider what he did for Dallas (an absolute joke before he came along).

Dawg, dude has had good teams...stop it.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

aside from 07 they have pretty much been picked to finish no better than 5th in the West and more often than not to miss the playoffs completely every year Dirk has been on the team.
    Thats on the short list of most untrue things ive ever read here.

I mean...really. Its just shockingly untrue. The Mavs won 50 something games and upset the Jazz in what? 01? PEople picked them to miss the playoffs te next year when they were young and rising? I must have missed that. They won 60 games in 03 and barely lost to the Spurs....so people picked them to miss the playoffs in 04 with even more talent?

Am I the only one who remembers fans here(Mavs fans as well) saying losing no D often injured Nash but adding Dampier who played out of his mind in his contract year was gonna help?

Even if I am...and people predicted no playoffs in 05(...they didnt) after they won like 58 games people thought no playoffs the next year with the same team?

And after they won the west in 06...people said no playoffs in 07?

The only person I remember saying no playoffs for the Mavs in 07 was tat Fab whatever guy who loved Dirk and Don Nelson and downplayed how good that team could be before they played on like a 75 win pace after the first week.

They were picked to miss the playoffs after a 67 win season?

Really...be honest. How many Mavs teams could be expected to miss the playoffs? Maybe...maybe...09 and 10? And there is no way a widespread poll would conclude that. Here:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=141926&page=5

Season predictions. Not one person had the Mavs out of the playoffs and thats coming off the worst season they had since 2000.

The idea that the Mavs were ever supposed to be a lottery team is just flat out rewriting history.

Someone somewhere may have said it. someone somewhere says everything.

But acting like it was some widespread idea...and they were more often than not predicted to miss the playoffs when they have been considered at least a darkhorse contender for 13 years in a row?

Thats revisionist history on a level im not sure ive ever seen.

The mavs have been expected to be good at LEAST...11 of the last 13 years. And the 2 arguable ones you wont find a majority saying they wouldnt make the playoffs.

You pulled that out of the deepest most vile recesses of your ass and its so untrue I dont wanna believe you were serious...
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 08-31-2012 at 04:58 PM.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kblaze8855 again." Will rep sometime later

Dirk was blessed playing for the great owner, who did his best to surround Dirk with a fitting talent.

I personally was rejoicing when Dirk and Kidd won the rings, but honestly - put any all-time great PF in Dirk's shoes (Duncan, KG, Malone, Barkley, Pettit, etc), and we would probably see more championships in Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I mean...really. Its just shockingly untrue. The Mavs won 50 something games and upset the Jazz in what? 01? PEople picked them to miss the playoffs te next year when they were young and rising? I must have missed that. They won 60 games in 03 and barely lost to the Spurs....so people picked them to miss the playoffs in 04 with even more talent?

Am I the only one who remembers fans here(Mavs fans as well) saying losing no D often injured Nash but adding Dampier who played out of his mind in his contract year was gonna help?

Even if I am...and people predicted no playoffs in 05(...they didnt) after they won like 58 games people thought no playoffs the next year with the same team?

And after they won the west in 06...people said no playoffs in 07?

The only person I remember saying no playoffs for the Mavs in 07 was tat Fab whatever guy who loved Dirk and Don Nelson and downplayed how good that team could be before they played on like a 75 win pace after the first week.

They were picked to miss the playoffs after a 67 win season?

Really...be honest. How many Mavs teams could be expected to miss the playoffs? Maybe...maybe...09 and 10? And there is no way a widespread poll would conclude that. Here:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=141926&page=5

Season predictions. Not one person had the Mavs out of the playoffs and thats coming off the worst season they had since 2000.

The idea that the Mavs were ever supposed to be a lottery team is just flat out rewriting history.

Someone somewhere may have said it. someone somewhere says everything.

But acting like it was some widespread idea...and they were more often than not predicted to miss the playoffs when they have been considered at least a darkhorse contender for 13 years in a row?

Thats revisionist history on a level im not sure ive ever seen.

The mavs have been expected to be good at LEAST...11 of the last 13 years. And the 2 arguable ones you wont find a majority saying they wouldnt make the playoffs.

You pulled that out of the deepest most vile recesses of your ass and its so untrue I dont wanna believe you were serious...
    While I agree with you to the most extent, I believe the OP is referring more to the talent of the teammates Dirk has been playing with rather then the team expectations tho.

And, he is correct, Dirk hasn't played with too talented players, average supporting cast, nothing great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Thats on the short list of most untrue things ive ever read here.

no it isnt

sorry but I read most everything about the Mavs and about half the time they have been the team picked to drop out of the playoffs to make way for a new young team out West.

and I even explicitly stated 07 was the year they were expected to be tops in the West.

and yea, they were picked by many to miss the playoffs after the year vs the Jazz. The WCFs year was thought of as a fluke by many b/c CWebb went down, they were not expected to go back. They were picked to collapse two years after the WCFs when Nash left. Then when Avery took over people thought he would have growing pains and f-ck it up.

I am sorry but you are just wrong.
    Last edited by kentatm; 08-31-2012 at 05:15 PM.

That is nothing more than fans always acting hated on. Reminds me of a Magic fan this year saying the Magic were the most hated on team in the league.

The Mavs have been contending for a dozen years. You find me one person saying they will miss the playoffs ANY season ill show you 5 saying they wont. The idea that they have more often than not been picked to miss the playoffs is frankly...stupid. Stupid enough to cross the line into a word may never have used...trolling.

Its a totally indefensible position.

That 07 squad was stacked and dominant. The only team that could have (and did) take them out that year was Don Nelson... I mean the Warriors.

it really isnt.

they are hardly ever pick to be top 4 and have been picked to miss the playoffs several times by many talking heads.

Im sorry but you are wrong.

Sure I am. But after their worst season of this century not a single person in a prediction topic here picked them to miss the playoffs. But it was a common opinion. Not just something someone somewhere said....

More often than not...they were picked to miss the playoffs. But even though ive been here for more than 10 years reading virtually everything...I missed it.

Sure.

yep. you did.